Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex no longer backdating new accounts to credit bureaus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex no longer backdating new accounts to credit bureaus?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP/Current Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
Yes. American Express (USA) ended this practice in March or April (scroll back to post #1). They should still show the older Member Since year on the new cards, but the reported date is accurate.
Thanks for confirming...and for moving my post to the correct thread!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
Still backdates to 08 for cards open in feb and aug 2015.
Where? There's a difference between what's shown on the card and what's shown at credit bureaus.

And you have an Amex card opened this month that's already showing on credit reports?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:17 pm

I have a amex PRG card open since June 3 2016.

I applied for a personal platinum amex on November 8th and a personal delta platinum amex card on November 16th.

My Credit Karma report from today (11/21/16) is still showing the old amex credit report from June 3rd only, with no updated credit inquiries reflecting the last two amex cards (see the PDF).

I don't know if both my amex cards will be reported to credit bureaus next month after a delay. I will be happy if my credit report stays this way so it will help me with the 5/24 rule to get a Chase Sapphire Reserve card in 2018.

P
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Amex credit reporting.pdf (51.9 KB, 68 views)
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by peterrudy
...no updated credit inquiries reflecting the last two amex cards (see the PDF).

I don't know if both my amex cards will be reported to credit bureaus next month after a delay.
I think there is some confusion.

The credit inquiry occurs when an issuer requests information from one or more credit bureaus to process an application. Credit Karma does not show all three major bureaus, you need to check all three to know if there was an inquiry.

Reporting an account to credit bureaus after the account is created is entirely unrelated. If it is a personal card it will be reported to all three.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:10 pm

Mia, I understand the difference between "inquiry" and "report" and I am wondering why my two personal amex cards I opened this month are not reported in the two major credit bureaus (TU&EF) on credit karma. My last credit card (amex PRG) is reported there in June 2016.
I just wanted to see if anyone else had similar experience.

P
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:08 am

Wait until after your first statement closes and check again.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mia, I understand the difference between "inquiry" and "report" and I am wondering why my two personal amex cards I opened this month are not reported in the two major credit bureaus (TU&EF) on credit karma. My last credit card (amex PRG) is reported there in June 2016.
I just wanted to see if anyone else had similar experience.
Everyone has had the same experience, in that it might take a month or more for a new card account from any bank to appear to appear on your credit report.

You presumably simply didn't check your credit report this soon after opening a new card before.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So back to topic, I was reviewing my Experian credit report a couple weeks ago and find it funny that my Everyday card (opened Jan 2015, shows as Jan 2007) has an earlier open date than my earliest Amex (July 2007, shows as July 2007) thanks to Amex's quirky backdating rules. Not that I'm complaining as it is helping to barbell my rather miserable AAoA but I just find it funny. Too bad they stopped...
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by hi-guy
Wait until after your first statement closes and check again.
My first statement closed last month and still no credit enquiries are showing up from Amex in credit karma. Both agencies still show my last credit check from Amex is earlier in 2016. By all rules 3 agencies should have been notified by now.

P
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My first statement closed last month and still no credit enquiries are showing up from Amex in credit karma. Both agencies still show my last credit check from Amex is earlier in 2016. By all rules 3 agencies should have been notified by now.
No! Inquiries only go to one agency! So without looking somewhere other than Credit Karma, you cannot see whether Amex gave you hard pull at the third agency (only).

Only the opening of the account itself (which is different than an inquiry) goes to all 3 agencies (on a personal card, not on a business card).

So I'm clear what you're waiting for. Are you waiting for the account itself to show up, or are you waiting for the inquiry to show up? You have to different things depending on which one of those you're looking for!

And please also mention the specific Amex cards you recently opened that you're looking for. Thanks.

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 11, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:25 am

As I mentioned few posts above, I opened three personal Amex cards (PRG, platinum and Delta platinum) and all the statements closed last month.
I understand inquiry from Amex goes via Experian, but open new CC accounts should have gone to all 3 credit bureaus

I don't care either way, but wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences.
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...out_hard_pull/

Last edited by peterrudy; Dec 12, 2016 at 10:30 am
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... open new CC accounts should have gone to all 3 credit bureaus...
Agreed. Have you obtained new copies of your reports directly from those bureaus to see if the accounts appear?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:53 am

No. I will update this thread after I do so. But, so far every new credit card I ever applied showed up immediately under credit karma or CreditWise by Capital One or Citi FICO. They all usually drop by 10-20 points (for a month or so) after opening 3 new credit cards.

I am pleasantly surprised by Amex way of handling ne applications internally without a hard pull and backdating them to the one card opened earlier in the year (if confirmed).

P
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I mentioned few posts above, I opened three personal Amex cards (PRG, platinum and Delta platinum) and all the statements closed last month.
I understand inquiry from Amex goes via Experian, but open new CC accounts should have gone to all 3 credit bureaus

I don't care either way, but wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences.
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...out_hard_pull/
I'm still confused. Yes, open new CC accounts go to all 3 credit bureaus, but it may take a month or two for them to show up!

(And you have to scour your whole credit report for those new cards, because in case they are backdated, the may not show up in the expected order, or flagged as "new".)

So if that's what you're after, you probably have to wait longer.

Meanwhile, the post you linked was about pulls (inquiries), not about new CC accounts showing up.

So if that's what you're after, you have to check pulls (inquiries) on all 3 bureaus. But if they haven't appeared by now, they won't.

Pulls should be visible on your report (only at the bureau which Amex pulled) within days (if not hours). But if you're looking at that report from a third-party site, there could some additional delays involves in the third-party site's updates.

Actual card accounts can take a month or two to show up on your credit reports. Since they show your payment history, they may wait not just for the first statement to post but for your payment due date after that first statement, and that why up to two months! (And again, if you're using a third-party site, on top of that there may be additional delays due to the third-party site's update schedule.)
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:38 am

So if I add an authorized user to an already open account, which opening date shows up on their credit report? If it's not the backdated date, then is it the date said account was actually opened for the primary card holder, when that the AU was added, or...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.