FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex no longer backdating new accounts to credit bureaus?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:33 pm
gruntermen

Amex account age question

Back in 1999 I opened a Gold Amex Card. It is not exactly a credit card because once a month the outstanding balance is automatically paid out of a brokerage account that it is linked to. I don't believe there is any option to carry a balance. I suppose it is a hybrid between a credit card and a debit card. This card has never been used and it has never appeared on my credit report. In 2013, I opened an Amex Blue Cash Preferred Card. The physical card and my credit report both show that the Blue Cash account has been open since 1999.

I am planning to close the Amex Gold card. It is one less account to have to worry about being hacked or otherwise compromised. If I do that, will my Blue Cash account continue to be reported as being open since 1999 or will the opening date revert back to 2013? Also, would any future accounts I open with Amex have an open date of 1999 or would it be something different?

I do plan to ask Amex about this but I would be curious to know if anyone out there on FT knows the answer. I have come to learn that sometimes there are other FT members who understand how a company works better then some of the company's own front line customer service reps...