Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[UK] My first Gold card year is almost over. Options? [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[UK] My first Gold card year is almost over. Options? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Amtexfly
Embarrassed to have to ask this but the progress bar for the 15K spend on my AMEX Gold has vanished, any idea how I can it back?
It goes from time to time but will reappear shortly.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:51 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Have just my 2K spending bonus on UK Amex PRG. Probably going to upgrade it to Platinum soon, get the 15K extra with that and then cancel and move all spend to BA PP.

So far have been with Amex PRG for a good two months without any issues, but that said haven't travelled with it just yet...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Thought I would post this question in here rather than start another thread as the last few pages have been about churning....

Just looking at my credit card strategy and looking for some advice. Firstly, I'm yet to actually cancel an amex card, is this a painful process? I've previously cancelled a Tesco CC which was a piece of cake and tried to cancel a Barclaycard which I unfortunately still have as I was put through the ringer, however it has proved useful for balance transfers.

I currently have the following with my girlfriend having a supplementary for each:

-BA PP
-VS Black
-Amex Gold

I use the BAPP for the 2-4-1, VS Black for 1 point/£ on the Visa and recently signed up for the Amex Gold for the sign up and currently aiming for the £15k spend.

I don't want to get too aggressive with churning to avoid annoying Amex but after researching on here and HFP I believe the simplest strategy will be to refer my girlfriend for the BAPP, Amex Platinum and SPG (possibly also the VS Black although I understand this is a one time deal) to get the sign up bonuses, rinse and repeat. This would mean I would keep the three cards above and only churn the SPG card. My only worry is that my girlfriend would be the one doing the most churning without actually holding any credit cards thus her credit rating would suffer. Would this be the case? If so would it be better to keep the VS Black or another in her name to keep her good credit rating? Also, can I refer the same person multiple times as long as their account has been closed for more than six months?

Just to clarify, I know people might be tempted to say that we should churn Amex Gold/Plat but I would like to keep one account open to save MR for SQ, EK, etc for special occasions while churning to get Avios or VS FC miles for more frequent business class travel.

If any mods believe this should be a new topic just let me know.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Never had any issue cancelling an Amex card. They ask why, maybe offer you an incentive to stay and that's it.

I personally like to keep one card for myself and wife which is the BA PP as the 2-4-1 earnt on both of these is useful.

I would not keep the Gold after 1 year as I don't think the fee is worthwhile for the benefits. My wife will be cancelling her gold soon after the 7500 bonus points post and before that will either refer me for Gold or Platinum.

The gold is the best one to churn in my opinion - good sign up bonus and card is free for a year.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:35 am

Thanks for the reply parklife.

Does anyone know how CC churning affects your credit rating if you have no credit accounts other than those you have open for a few months to get sign up bonuses?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Thanks for the reply parklife.

Does anyone know how CC churning affects your credit rating if you have no credit accounts other than those you have open for a few months to get sign up bonuses?
Whilst the UK does not have credit scores per se, a bank will look more favourably on someone who has had at least one card open for a long period.

If you have no open cards or only cards opened in the last few months, that obviously gives a different impression than it would if they see you have had a particular card for five years (or, in my case, 15 years).
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:11 am

So to ensure her good credit score is not damaged it would be a good idea for one of the cards we won't be churning to be in her name?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So to ensure her good credit score is not damaged it would be a good idea for one of the cards we won't be churning to be in her name?
Yes. Get a free card with some benefits (say, a Post Office or Halifax Clarity card as they have no FX fees and are worth digging out when you travel) and keep it in a desk drawer.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC, Amex, SPG Gold, VA Red, HHonours Gold
So have just spent 15k on my Gold card, have three months before my year is up.
If I apply for the Platinum for the 15k bonus, do I lose the 7.5K bonus I'm due with the Gold?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanilla8
If I apply for the Platinum for the 15k bonus, do I lose the 7.5K bonus I'm due with the Gold?
Yes. Hold off until that bonus hits.

Get yourself an SPG Amex if you want something to do in the meantime
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by vanilla8
As Raffles says, hold off. For the bonus points (supermarkets, travel etc) on this card I would keep using it until the end of your membership year.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I have both plat and gold. When the gold double points end, there is no point in having both. So once the gold end of year bonus kicks in, it's either give up the gold, or give up the plat and upgrade the gold to get the 15K upgrade. If the cost is £450 then that's the way to go. If the cost is £450+£150 then obviously not.

The unknown is whether amex will pro-rata refund the year 2 £150 gold card fee, if you subsequently upgrade the gold card to plat.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:24 pm

Thanks, will hold off before upgrading then
Old Dec 11, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Yes. Hold off until that bonus hits.

Get yourself an SPG Amex if you want something to do in the meantime
How apt that I have received the email with invite to SPG and 20k points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.