Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[UK] My first Gold card year is almost over. Options? [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[UK] My first Gold card year is almost over. Options? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 4:56 pm

Mods - thanks for consolidating the threads !
Old May 18, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by whiskerxx
Thats what I thought, but cant see any logic.
Referring his wife to Gold (9k), her gaining the spend bonus (22k) and then upgrading to Plat (15k) only yields 46,000, whereas referring directly to Plat (18k) and gaining the spend bonus (35k) yields 53k. The £450 fee gets paid in either scenario.
The OP is a current gold card holder.
The Amex UK website will not allow a gold card holder to send a referral for a platinum card.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:14 am
pol

Originally Posted by tangey
The OP is a current gold card holder.
The Amex UK website will not allow a gold card holder to send a referral for a platinum card.
You can refer for a platinum card as a gold card holder on the UK site, you just click recommend another card under the picture of the gold card when choosing which card to recommend, then an option to recommend for either platinum or green instead pops up.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by parklife
Have you spent the £15k for the 7500 bonus points? If so I would keep it until these have posted and then cancel, you will have to pay the renewal fee but it is calculated on a pro rata basis so you get some back when you cancel.
Yes I have hit that and was intending to keep it at least until those post. Thanks for all of the responses guys, still haven't worked out if the Plat card represents good value for me yet so not went ahead with anything, but I suspect we might decide it's best to stick with referring eachother for gold cards for now.

I am up for cancelling my card but I do like having my points as MR rather than stuck as Avios, but I suppose that's something I have to do if I want to churn it. :P
Old May 18, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by pol
You can refer for a platinum card as a gold card holder on the UK site, you just click recommend another card under the picture of the gold card when choosing which card to recommend, then an option to recommend for either platinum or green instead pops up.
Don't know how I missed that, when I was originally replying I initially typed that he should recommend a plat to his wife, but then had a quick check on the amex website and didn't see the functionality to allow alternate cards to be recommended. Always knew a plat could recommend anything. Didn't know that a gold could recommend up and down.

OP, if you are still considering upgrading your own card to a plat, you should instead recommend your wife for a plat. You'll end up with more points.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pet0r
Yes I have hit that and was intending to keep it at least until those post. Thanks for all of the responses guys, still haven't worked out if the Plat card represents good value for me yet so not went ahead with anything, but I suspect we might decide it's best to stick with referring each other for gold cards for now.
You should be considering your rate of churn - the sooner you cancel the sooner you can reapply (after leaving it for 6 months)

Originally Posted by Pet0r
I am up for cancelling my card but I do like having my points as MR rather than stuck as Avios, but I suppose that's something I have to do if I want to churn it. :P
There are other transfer options as well as Avios. Make sure you think about them before you opt for Avios
Old May 18, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tangey
OP, if you are still considering upgrading your own card to a plat, you should instead recommend your wife for a plat. You'll end up with more points.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:28 pm

Sorry if this is a basic question, I can't find an answer anywhere and it's simplicity is driving me a little nuts...

If I close off my Amex Gold card (with a view to churning in 9 months time), what happens to my MR points? Where do they go? And how can I access them? Do I need to take out a Green card? And if I do, will it affect my ability to get a Gold sign-up bonus in 9 months?

I'm planning on going for the SPG card for this period.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by shadowline
Sorry if this is a basic question, I can't find an answer anywhere and it's simplicity is driving me a little nuts...

If I close off my Amex Gold card (with a view to churning in 9 months time), what happens to my MR points? Where do they go? And how can I access them? Do I need to take out a Green card? And if I do, will it affect my ability to get a Gold sign-up bonus in 9 months?

I'm planning on going for the SPG card for this period.
If you don't take out a Green Card and have not transferred your points prior to closure you will lose them. The Green card should not affect the churn with the Gold providing you don't have more than one other card when applying again. I believe the churn time frame is six months.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I can't find an answer anywhere.
For reference, you could look here:

https://catalogue.membershiprewards....aboutTerms.mtw

..and click the link titled Charge and Corporate Customers
Old May 29, 2015, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
If you don't take out a Green Card and have not transferred your points prior to closure you will lose them. The Green card should not affect the churn with the Gold providing you don't have more than one other card when applying again. I believe the churn time frame is six months.
Eh? The churn rules say 'you cannot have had a card which earns MR points in the last 6 months'. A Green earns MR points.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by mia
For reference, you could look here:

https://catalogue.membershiprewards....aboutTerms.mtw

..and click the link titled Charge and Corporate Customers
Ah yes, I'd skim-read this. I've re-read it now and it answers half my question (what happens to my points), but the other half (how can I keep my points without having an MR-earning card) is still un-answered, and I imagine Amex won't be going out of their way to answer it for me!

Edit - If I was Avios-focussed, I'd transfer over all to Avios and it would solve the issues, but quite frankly after the devaluation this year, I don't trust BA and the Avios system any more. My MR points total is modest (~50k), but I'd like to try and keep them as MR so I have flexibility with them. Maybe it'll be a case of transferring over to a Green Card and starting to spend them, while putting all my expenditure through the SPG, and once I've run them down shut down the Green Card and apply for a new PRG 6-7 months later.

Last edited by shadowline; May 29, 2015 at 3:14 am
Old May 29, 2015, 5:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... it answers half my question (what happens to my points), but the other half (how can I keep my points without having an MR-earning card) is still un-answered,
It answers both questions. The points vanish if you do not have a card which participates in Membership Rewards. You need to transfer before closing the card account. Unless you have a very large points balance it doesn't seem worthwhile to pay for a Green card simply to keep them.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:03 am

Has anyone had any luck in getting any good retention benefits from Amex for their second year with their Goldcard.

My year is up next week but i haven't had any info from Amex about the fee, changes etc. Is this normal?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:34 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Embarrassed to have to ask this but the progress bar for the 15K spend on my AMEX Gold has vanished, any idea how I can it back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.