Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:04 am

Anybody have experience with getting a drink or meal refunded from AMEX if they tried to go to a lounge & it was too packed to enter then went elsewhere to eat/drink?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by helvetic
What other reason to sign up is there other than the lounges? With Amex's nonexistant travel insurance products and zero bonus spend… what other possible reason is there to have the Plat other than as a shiny metal status symbol.

The Centurion lounges are the only reason I even have the Plat (both business and personal)… otherwise Citi has a much stronger product with the Prestige and the CSR has made a much bigger splash with the CSR. What both of those lack are premium lounges.
Does having both give you 2+2=4 guests? If so, I can see the appeal. If not, why not just drop the personal one?

The lack of trip cancellation and delay insurance certainly does discourage me from booking with my Platinum. That said, I do like it that the emergency evacuation coverage is valid even if I don't pay for a trip with Platinum.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:40 pm

What other reason to sign up is there other than the lounges? With Amex's nonexistant travel insurance products and zero bonus spend… what other possible reason is there to have the Plat other than as a shiny metal status symbol.
FHR and their IAP program has saved me thousands of dollars this year alone.

But go ahead and keep thinking that it's simply a "status symbol." I will pocket those real dollars.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
Does having both give you 2+2=4 guests? ...
No, it does not.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Super crowded at IAH this afternoon. About half the tables in the dining area are empty and cleaned off. A full 2 people plus me sitting at the bar. Plenty of chairs in the rest of the lounge. G&T in hand, it's a great way to bang out some e-mails on a Friday afternoon.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
What other reason to sign up is there other than the lounges?
Fine Hotels & Resorts. Sometimes a single stay can justify the annual fee. I'd keep the card even if FH&R were the only benefit.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by kthpence
Anybody have experience with getting a drink or meal refunded from AMEX if they tried to go to a lounge & it was too packed to enter then went elsewhere to eat/drink?
That would be ridiculous.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:41 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
Does having both give you 2+2=4 guests? If so, I can see the appeal. If not, why not just drop the personal one?

The lack of trip cancellation and delay insurance certainly does discourage me from booking with my Platinum. That said, I do like it that the emergency evacuation coverage is valid even if I don't pay for a trip with Platinum.
I haven't dropped the personal card yet because I like the shiny metal card and the 5x for when I book flights for others (the business plat doesn't get you that). Last AF I got a 50k points retention offer, so I kept. If I don't get a good offer next AF period, I may well drop it.

And no, I don't believe having both cards gets you more guests, not that I've ever tried.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Statman
FHR and their IAP program has saved me thousands of dollars this year alone.

But go ahead and keep thinking that it's simply a "status symbol." I will pocket those real dollars.
I never see anything interesting on FHR. Almost always rates are more expensive, and I'm usually better off booking via Citi for their overly generous 4th night free benefit. I've pocketed $6000 in the last year on 4th night free reimbursements. Doubt FHR can ever match that.

As far as the IAP, I also have never been able to make use of it… even though I routinely fly international paid J and F. The terms are too restrictive, I'm pretty IIRC
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Fine Hotels & Resorts. Sometimes a single stay can justify the annual fee. I'd keep the card even if FH&R were the only benefit.
I'd love to get benefits from FHR… I'm constantly in hotels. (SPG Plat100 + Hyatt Globalist), but I can't seem to easily find deals there where I don't end up paying significantly more than going through Citi 4NF and the cheaper base rates.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'd love to get benefits from FHR… I'm constantly in hotels. (SPG Plat100 + Hyatt Globalist), but I can't seem to easily find deals there where I don't end up paying significantly more than going through Citi 4NF and the cheaper base rates.
It's been hit-and-miss with me on that. Roughly half the time FH&R ends up being a much better deal than anything else I can find. But like you, I've often seen better deals via AAA, the hotel's website, or some other angle.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:06 pm

As far as the IAP, I also have never been able to make use of it… even though I routinely fly international paid J and F. The terms are too restrictive, I'm pretty IIRC
Not sure what "terms" you are referring to. The revamped IAP program basically gets you a discount for all premium economy, business and first class fares on qualifying airlines.

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think we now have enough data to conclude that American Express is not likely to adopt any radical access restrictions, but rather they will address crowding through expanding the lounges. Seattle has already been enlarged, Dallas will be moved to a larger space, and Miami will be enlarged. This makes more sense for their business model than turning away Platinum cardholders or their guests.

Centurion lounges is a feature that Chase and Citi apparently do not have the budget to match, and I would expect to see gradual expansion of the network as favorably priced spaces becomes available.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
Centurion lounges is a feature that Chase and Citi apparently do not have the budget to match...
I disagree, I'm one to believe Chase and Citi have more money to spend than AMEX does at the moment. Both have more product offerings and cards that are just as good, if not better than what AMEX offers. Perhaps Chase doesn't see building their own lounges and selling their use to their customers as a significant business advantage at the moment.

If the largest bank in the U.S doesn't have the budget to build a competing lounge network with a relatively small bank [Centurion] with credit cards as their main business along with very few loans and savings accounts, then there's a problem.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I disagree, I'm one to believe Chase and Citi have more money to spend than AMEX does at the moment. Both have more product offerings and cards that are just as good, if not better than what AMEX offers. Perhaps Chase doesn't see building their own lounges and selling their use to their customers as a significant business advantage at the moment.

If the largest bank in the U.S doesn't have the budget to build a competing lounge network with a relatively small bank [Centurion] with credit cards as their main business along with very few loans and savings accounts, then there's a problem.
Chase and Citi have much larger, more diversified businesses than Amex. They may judge the opportunity cost of building a private lounge network to be too high relative to other projects they could allocate budget towards.

Amex has basically *one* business.

(I wonder if Amex considers the cost of the Centurion Lounges to be customer acquisition cost or cost of goods sold)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.