Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 7:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
[SEA] Lounge is implementing a 2 hour prior to boarding policy currently at the lounge to limit crowds....
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
In the [MIA] lounge now. Was pretty crowded when I first got here. The front desk said they were limiting people to only 2 hours before departure.
It appears that American Express has devised a strategy to reduce crowding that (as far as I recall) was not suggested in this thread.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:40 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I visited both SYD (I realize it’s not technically a Centurion Lounge) and IAH yesterday morning.

SYD was almost full. I walked in, took a seat at the communal table for about a minute, and then left.

IAH was pretty nice though. Not even half full.

Last edited by United747; May 29, 2018 at 10:56 am Reason: typo
Old May 29, 2018, 9:15 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mia
It appears that American Express has devised a strategy to reduce crowding that (as far as I recall) was not suggested in this thread.
Also a report that in addition to the 2 hour prior to departure limit at SEA yesterday, the lounge was not accepting passengers on arrival.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it wasnt due to all families with kids? Hmmm who would have thought...
pcoll likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Don't love the not accepting passengers on arrival but *could* live with that (especially in Seattle where you could at least go to the DL SkyClub on arrival if you are by yourself and waiting for others to arrive)

The 2 hour time limit is dumb though. The whole point of a lounge is to use during a long layover or when you need to be a the airport early. Hurts the value prop if you can't access earlier than 2 hours (especially on layovers where you have less control on how early you arrive).
Old May 29, 2018, 12:33 pm

Just out of curiosity, do people really go to a lounge upon arrival?

Unless I landed really early in the morning and wanted to kill some time at the airport before checking into the hotel, I can't imagine a situation where I'd spend time in a lounge versus going to the hotel or visiting my destination.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:50 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Statman
I'll admit that I've started doing it at LGA because I've had a number of flights recently where I landed around 7 pm on a Sunday night and thought it would just be easier to grab a quick dinner in the lounge before going home, vs going straight home and then having to scrounge up something to eat.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..

Unless I landed really early in the morning and wanted to kill some time at the airport before checking into the hotel, I can't imagine a situation where I'd spend time in a lounge versus going to the hotel or visiting my destination.
this isn’t a well thought out policy for Amex. I’ve used the lounges three times in the last year. One of those was for arrival (waiting for a colleague) to arrive on a later flight and too early to check into a hotel. The other two times I was there for more than two hours though not absurdly longer either. Each time I’ve visited the lounge they weren’t crowded so I was clearly off-peak and it it was a madhouse I certainly wouldn’t hand around very long.

​​​​​​​I’d be curious of the usage statistics. My guess is 20% of cardholders represent 80% of the usage or something like that. If Amex doesn’t curtail that first then I think they are going to disenfranchise a large “low cost” group of cardholders, myself included.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
this isn’t a well thought out policy...
I don't think we know the details of the policy. Will the restrictions apply at all lounges at all times, or only during (or in anticipation of) peak periods?
Old May 29, 2018, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by TravelStar
I still think the solution is to limit free visits to maybe 3 to 5 per year. After that, paid visits.

Hello Amex! Is anybody listening??
limit “unlimited” stays to the first X visits. Then when you’ve checked in ten times or whatever you lose the arrival check in option or more than 2hr stay or something. Again, I suspect a relatively small percentage here is what is crowding the lounges. Unfortunately, in places like MIA it only takes one large cardholder family to make it seem like it’s overrun with kids and I suspect those cardholders don’t visit more than once or twice a year.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I don't think we know the details of the policy. Will the restrictions apply at all lounges at all times, or only during (or in anticipation of) peak periods?
fair enough but our group is somewhat over entitled and demanding so you’d think they would unveil the details early on to prevent this totally predictable DYKWIA response. Looks like the bloggers are running with it too.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I do, for showers. Gym and shower access after landing are why I keep some memberships which I do keep.

For most of my trips, I visit lounges for fifteen minutes or less or not at all. But when I want the lounge access, it’s because I’ve got a long wait before my next flight is to depart. Having the potential to be cut off from lounge access for all but 60-100 minutes during a unexpectedly long layover sounds like the kind of additional gamble I’d rather avoid — and yet that is to what Amex is now subjecting Amex Platinum cardholders, at least sometimes.

Maybe it’s time to buy back into United and Star Alliance lounge access for my domestic flights too, since a scheduled 60-90 minutes transit can too easily become a 4-6 hour transit when hit by a delay/cancellation.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:07 pm

Amex VP of Corporate Affairs comments:

“There is no new rule or policy that restricts time within the lounge,” said Charlotte Fuller, VP of Corporate Affairs. “Occasionally, we have to limit access and waitlist people when we hit capacity, but there are no changes to our terms and conditions. In Seattle, we reached capacity over the holiday weekend, and in Miami, we also reached capacity due to the tropical storm.”
​​​​​​​https://thepointsguy.com/news/overcr...s-same-policy/
Old May 29, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The only place I usually do is LGA and that's because I usually land early afternoon, a bit to early to check in to my hotel or meet friends. Also I'm hungry after that flight from Houston. It's definitely a vast minority of my lounge visits.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I always go to the Centurion Lounge on arrival at MIA and DFW to get a free spa treatment! Also, I like to wear comfortable stuff to fly and shower and change on arrival before a meeting if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.