Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
I can't believe people are still complaining about lounge crowding at an Airport.

If AMEX wants to cure the crowding, how about they fire whatever 20 or 30 something NYC Interior Designer that came up with the furniture and replace it with more reasonably size chairs, solving the there is no place to sit problem, which I have never experience at DFW or LAS.
I travel for work and on Thursdays I need to wait for a seat at the DFW lounge normally. Also, I don't even go to the SFO lounge anymore (unless I want something to eat). If I just want a place to sit, I got to 1 of 3 United Clubs.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
I was in the SFO lounge twice last week and the DFW lounge twice last week. The SFO was mildly crowded one of those two times. The other 3 visits were not crowded. Wind down for business travel?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Although I had to wait for a seat in Vegas once this year, I'm never had a problem in LGA (home base so at least 10 times this year), SFO, or even SEA this year. Most people in line were traveling solo and not with a whole crew so not sure what Amex can do. I think the issue is that the lounges are generally so much better than the airline lounges (certainly better that UA) so people will gravitate to the lounge if time permits.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA1K
go to SFO a ton, been to vegas and LGA. every time, i find a seat at the bar.

sure, the lounges had people there, but not to the point where i could not find a seat.

have yet to go to DFW but i hear that is a zoo pretty much always.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Smile

Originally Posted by johnathome
I think the issue is that the lounges are generally so much better than the airline lounges (certainly better that UA) so people will gravitate to the lounge if time permits.
You hit the nail on the head. I travel HKG-DFW regularly, and the DFW Centurion Lounge is a Godsend. When outbound to HKG, I have access to all of the Oneworld First Class lounges in D Concourse plus every Admiral's Club in the airport, and I head straight to the Centurion Lounge every time.

I think timing has a lot to do with how packed it gets, not to mention other circumstances such as delays, cancellations, holidays, etc. I've been in the DFW lounge when it was busy but it has never been so bad I couldn't sit and relax somewhere. SFO, on the other hand - my one experience there found it very crowded and difficult to sit and eat but the wine samples more than made up for it. Still far better than any of the United lounges (which I have access to thanks to my United Club Card).

Many FTers have correctly pointed out that the free lounge access for Plats is a response to losing all of the other lounge access, and frankly, I would rather have this.

In Hong Kong I live among more than 10,000 Centurion Card holders (literally), some of whom I call friends. I understand their gripe given the original intent of the lounges, but given all of the other perks associated with the black card it's hardly worth complaining about (Centurions in HK have their own yacht available for their use, for Pete's sake - when they can get it, of course, since demand/competition for the free booking is high).

I guess my bottom line is this: are the complaints from Plat members really valid, or are folks really just looking to complain about something? Seems there are FAR more complaints than praises about anything on FT these days, so I'm just asking what I think is a fair question.

Even when busy, IMHO the lounge is a fantastic benefit for those entitled to free access and I actually look forward to layovers where one is available (particularly at DFW thanks to the spa and the excellent food). Enjoy the benefit and accept that it won't always be empty or perfect - but it doesn't have to be! That is all...
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Was in DFW lounge on 12/17 in the evening. Around 6pm there were quiet a few people but still plenty of seats, food and walked right up to the bar for beverages. When I checked in around 6pm, I asked about spa services and was booked for a massage about an hour later. Also, there were only 3 people ahead of me for the shower.

I would not consider to be crowded by any means considering all of the amenities I needed/wanted to use were available to me.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Originally Posted by Dr. Dozer
You hit the nail on the head. I travel HKG-DFW regularly, and the DFW Centurion Lounge is a Godsend. When outbound to HKG, I have access to all of the Oneworld First Class lounges in D Concourse plus every Admiral's Club in the airport, and I head straight to the Centurion Lounge every time.

I think timing has a lot to do with how packed it gets, not to mention other circumstances such as delays, cancellations, holidays, etc. I've been in the DFW lounge when it was busy but it has never been so bad I couldn't sit and relax somewhere. SFO, on the other hand - my one experience there found it very crowded and difficult to sit and eat but the wine samples more than made up for it. Still far better than any of the United lounges (which I have access to thanks to my United Club Card).

Many FTers have correctly pointed out that the free lounge access for Plats is a response to losing all of the other lounge access, and frankly, I would rather have this.

In Hong Kong I live among more than 10,000 Centurion Card holders (literally), some of whom I call friends. I understand their gripe given the original intent of the lounges, but given all of the other perks associated with the black card it's hardly worth complaining about (Centurions in HK have their own yacht available for their use, for Pete's sake - when they can get it, of course, since demand/competition for the free booking is high).

I guess my bottom line is this: are the complaints from Plat members really valid, or are folks really just looking to complain about something? Seems there are FAR more complaints than praises about anything on FT these days, so I'm just asking what I think is a fair question.

Even when busy, IMHO the lounge is a fantastic benefit for those entitled to free access and I actually look forward to layovers where one is available (particularly at DFW thanks to the spa and the excellent food). Enjoy the benefit and accept that it won't always be empty or perfect - but it doesn't have to be! That is all...
I agree with you. If Plats were limited on the number of times they were allowed to visit, then that would be the next complaint.

We talk about overcrowding on this board all of the time, yet there is a post for people to meet up and bring people into the lounge........
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:19 pm

Oh yeah, we are sure a funny group of people.

Originally Posted by pugsley21
I agree with you. If Plats were limited on the number of times they were allowed to visit, then that would be the next complaint.

We talk about overcrowding on this board all of the time, yet there is a post for people to meet up and bring people into the lounge........
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:43 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pugsley21

When the LAS lounge FIRST opened, some PLATS were only permitted a limited number of visits until 12/31. After 1/1 the restrictions were lifted.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by johnathome
I think the issue is that the lounges are generally so much better than the airline lounges (certainly better that UA) so people will gravitate to the lounge if time permits.
I suspect the issue is there's far more people with AX Plats than there are FFs with lounge access.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Planned LAX Lounge and Overcrowding Solution

As a resident of the OC that uses LAX as the main airport I am excited about the new lounge. That being said the overcrowding issue will probably be an issue in LAX (given the less than stellar airport quality).

Reading this thread, I believe I have a good solution.

Centurion members can make a reservation, easier if they book through AMEX travel.

Near capacity (90%-95%) the lounge is closed to (purchasers, then platinum AU, then plats) and reserved for Cents.

(This will cause the least amount of waves.)

I also need to NOTE that most Centurion lounges are already at airports with participating PP Select lounges.

Upon denial:
> AU get a $25 statement credit.
>Platinum holders get a $50 statement credit.
>>Unlikely, the guest of a platinum card holder gets a credit of $25 to the cardholder.

>A courtesy shuttle (golf cart) emblazen with AMEX insignia transfers them to another PP select lounge, if desired.

When not transferring the platinum plebs, the "shuttle" can bring people to their gates.

Then instead of the messy voucher system, AMEX can hit the PP select lounge with a swipe fee or other establishments at the airport, etc.

Then the Centurion card holders are happy, the platinum holders (and possibly guests) get to be fed decent food and cocktails and being boozed up they don't care that much. AMEX is happiesh in that they don't have to deal with that many irate Platinum's threatening cancellation and they get the Swipe fee.

They also get free advertising from the "shuttle."

Nearly everyone is happy or at least not pissed.

I think this is the best solution given the loss of Costco. They can't afford to lose the Platinum base nor do they want to alienate the Centurion elite.

Last edited by OUTraveling; Dec 23, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:50 pm
Suspended

That's way too complicated. If overcrowding is a persistent issue, the first step should be to eliminate access for AUs and/or restrict access to primary Cent and Plat cardholders (plus guests) during peak times.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by jsk1973
That's way too complicated. If overcrowding is a persistent issue, the first step should be to eliminate access for AUs and/or restrict access to primary Cent and Plat cardholders (plus guests) during peak times.
I would have suggested charging against the travel credit, perhaps $25 for AU either all the time or as you stated during peak hours.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:27 pm

Not liking all the proposed restrictions on AUs. My husband is the primary holder but never travels, where I travel more but am an AU. I also pay the AMX bill.
Also, let's not forget that AUs pay an annual fee for each card.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Simple: Get your own card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.