Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by TravelStar
I'm with you on that. I think 5 passes per year, per Amex Cardmember would make things more civilized. After that, admission can be purchased at $50 per visit. It seems like Amex has to get a handle on this.
+1 ^

I have been only to the lounges in LGA and MIA.

At times, I noticed a party of people who went "camping" there, taking all the space, behaving as if they owned the place. And their kids running all over... Let's not go there.

If Amex wants to maintain the high standards, they need to limit severely the guest privileges.

The idea of 5 passes per year looks very appealing and may solve the problem of overcrowding. The operating costs would go down as well.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:41 am

I think Cardholder + 1 would solve lots of the problems.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:30 am

At DFW lounge last week a couple of times. Pretty busy but the reserved tables for Centurion holders worked for me.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by awval999
I think Cardholder + 1 would solve lots of the problems.
Agree. I don't like the idea of limiting to # of passes per cardholder because it diminishes the value prop of the card for me significantly, especially once IAH opens next year.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Agree. I don't like the idea of limiting to # of passes per cardholder because it diminishes the value prop of the card for me significantly, especially once IAH opens next year.
Perhaps a middle ground and have a limited number of guest passes?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:30 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Vaclav
The idea of 5 passes per year looks very appealing and may solve the problem of overcrowding. The operating costs would go down as well.
No way for me...5 passes--my wife and almost 2 y/o daughter (who is NOT permitted to run around in indoor places*) travel with me to Vegas 3-4 times a year--so, I'd get ONE visit as a family in a calendar year, leaving me 2 visits systemwide for the rest of the year? No thanks.

* And specifically for Vegas, we surely let her run around and have a blast at the LAS Amex lounge's kid's room (gasp!)...That place these is specifically designed for kids--and a great place to burn off some energy before a flight. I don't recall, do other clubs have a play room like LAS has? I've visited other clubs, but not with my family.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steveman518
Perhaps a middle ground and have a limited number of guest passes?
NOW we're on to something! Unlimited for Plat/Cent cardholders. Plats get X guest passes per year, Cents get 2X, or something like that.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
And airline clubs have never been packed? Give me a break.
I completely agree. Even when crowded, the Centurion Lounge at SFO is better than every lounge at SFO except the Emirates and Virgin Atlantic lounges.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:58 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
What I noticed with the overcrowding, it really depends on the flight schedule. For instance in SFO I was there for about 6hrs. in the beginning, it was quite empty. it filled up for 2hrs and then emptied again. There were quite a few east cost transcons leaving at that time.

I would agree with card holder + 1 guest which is a good compromise I think to keep the overcrowding down.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

* And specifically for Vegas, we surely let her run around and have a blast at the LAS Amex lounge's kid's room (gasp!)...That place these is specifically designed for kids--and a great place to burn off some energy before a flight. I don't recall, do other clubs have a play room like LAS has? I've visited other clubs, but not with my family.
EZE has a small kids play area.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:48 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I hate to be a snob but maybe giving ever cardholder 5 free passes a year would find a balance between access and crowding.
I think the crowding has to do with the 100K intro offer they had earlier this year. Most of the people who used it will probably cancel their cards when the annual fee comes up, so unless they do it again next year, the crowds should thin out.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 7:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
I think the crowding has to do with the 100K intro offer they had earlier this year.
There are always targeted 100,000 point offers and they periodically go public. I think American Express wants to keep the number of Platinum Card holders high to reassure stockholders as they work through the Costco transition.

They can cull Platinum Card customers at anytime by refining the $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit. When the effective annual fee is again $450, rather than $250, many will cancel or downgrade and lose free lounge access.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Centurion Lounge crowding

I was in MIA the Tuesday before thanksgiving for about three hours in the late afternoon. Spa treatments were readily available, however the place was very crowded. We had several drinks and I don't think we had to wait more than a minute for a bar tender to make our drinks. I found the food to be rather subpar and doesn't compare to the significantly better food at LGA. I do not think they should allow for more than one guest per card.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mia
They can cull Platinum Card customers at anytime by refining the $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit. When the effective annual fee is again $450, rather than $250, many will cancel or downgrade and lose free lounge access.
We all know it's effectively $250, but my sense is that we here on FT are a freakishly unrepresentative sliver of the frequently-flying public.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Given that the Platinum's main competition, the Citi Prestige, offers a more generous airline credit (both in dollar amount and ease of redemption), it would surprising if they made the credit more restrictive - or eliminated it entirely. Given the initial impetus behind the airline credit was to offset loss of lounge access, it would be even more surprising if they removed the benefit without some serious upgrades with other benefits like increased lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.