Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Hikmer01
I understand there might be ways around the crowding but the point is that the card is losing its value. If I cannot use the rewards and entitlements when I need them, then the idea of having the Platinum card diminishes. I'm thinking this will be cancelled or downgraded sometime early next year.
If comfortable access to a specific Centurion Lounge is the primary benefit you get out of the Platinum card, then maybe it is not worth it for you as it seems hard for Amex to come up with a solution that pleases everyone. Personally I have maybe two or three Centurion lounge visits this year versus probably 15-20 SkyClub visits and three or so Priority Pass visits. Given the crowding at the lounges, if you want or need lounge access in a lot of domestic airports, you probably should also get Admirals or United Club access if you can’t get use out of the SkyClub benefit
Statman, krazykanuck and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Adelphos
If comfortable access to a specific Centurion Lounge is the primary benefit you get out of the Platinum card, then maybe it is not worth it for you as it seems hard for Amex to come up with a solution that pleases everyone. Personally I have maybe two or three Centurion lounge visits this year versus probably 15-20 SkyClub visits and three or so Priority Pass visits. Given the crowding at the lounges, if you want or need lounge access in a lot of domestic airports, you probably should also get Admirals or United Club access if you can’t get use out of the SkyClub benefit
It isn't the only benefit I use but most other lounges are not as nice or feature rich. Also not being able to use the lounges on arrival has affected the ability to use the lounge in Las Vegas when I get to the airport early. They also diminished the airline credit to the point of it being almost impossible to figure out what circumstances you will get reimbursed.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:45 am

It isn't the only benefit I use but most other lounges are not as nice or feature rich. Also not being able to use the lounges on arrival has affected the ability to use the lounge in Las Vegas when I get to the airport early. They also diminished the airline credit to the point of it being almost impossible to figure out what circumstances you will get reimbursed.
Based on your situation, it does not appear that the card is a good fit for you. Perhaps it is time to cancel and get another card that suits your needs.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Statman
Based on your situation, it does not appear that the card is a good fit for you. Perhaps it is time to cancel and get another card that suits your needs.
Agreed, the sad part is that when I bought the card it did meet my needs...I'll give them a call and determine my exit strategy. I still need a way to get the business travel reward points.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Agreed, the sad part is that when I bought the card it did meet my needs...I'll give them a call and determine my exit strategy. I still need a way to get the business travel reward points.
Unfortunately the Platinum Card is a shell of what it was 10 years ago. The losses of Admirals Club and Presidents Club access were both major blows to the value of the card as it pertains to travel. Amex is still 100+ lounges away from being able to make up for that.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
"we" are a cause to the problem when we have "meet-ups" with strangers to get them in. Amex should require "guests" to be on the same air as airlines do now for upgrades
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knownothing
"we" are a cause to the problem when we have "meet-ups" with strangers to get them in. Amex should require "guests" to be on the same air as airlines do now for upgrades
Not sure how that's really any different than someone bringing their spouse and kids into the lounge as 'guests'.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
spouse and kid are family
Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:31 am

Amex - My Christmas wish? Whatever you need to do, thin the crowding in SFO for next year.
JHake10, Kacee and cuthroat like this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It isn't the only benefit I use but most other lounges are not as nice or feature rich.
Maybe they would be "nice" if you cut the crowds by 50%. With present crowd levels, "nice" is simply not a word I would use to describe Centurion lounge.

To echo Adelphos' comments, as an SFO flyer, I purchase lounge membership on my primary carrier (now AA) because Centurion SFO is simply not worth the hassle.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
To echo Adelphos' comments, as an SFO flyer, I purchase lounge membership on my primary carrier (now AA) because Centurion SFO is simply not worth the hassle.
To be honest at SFO it really wouldn’t make much sense for an AA flyer to try and use the Centurion Lounge routinely anyway. The Admirals Club isn’t very good, but the Centurion Lounge is really places for UA fliers at SFO.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmd320
To be honest at SFO it really wouldn’t make much sense for an AA flyer to try and use the Centurion Lounge routinely anyway.
I don't agree. With Pre and Clear, security doesn't usually take more than a minute or two. I used the UCs routinely when flying AS prior to Nov. 1 rules change.
kennycrudup, Visconti and cuthroat like this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't agree. With Pre and Clear, security doesn't usually take more than a minute or two. I used the UCs routinely when flying AS prior to Nov. 1 rules change.
In a scenario where I had a long layover I would agree, however if SFO is my origin airport I don’t see much of a reason to arrive at the airport early enough to clear security, use the lounge, go back outside, clear security again, and then go to the gate. I would just arrive at the airport, clear security once, and get on the plane. Perhaps that’s just me but I like to spend as little time at my origin airport as possible.
Statman and kennycrudup like this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by cmd320
In a scenario where I had a long layover I would agree, however if SFO is my origin airport I don’t see much of a reason to arrive at the airport early enough to clear security, use the lounge, go back outside, clear security again, and then go to the gate. I would just arrive at the airport, clear security once, and get on the plane. Perhaps that’s just me but I like to spend as little time at my origin airport as possible.
I would guess the majority of lounge users are origin users
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I would guess the majority of lounge users are origin users
Agreed. Landing from a domestic flight and going to a lounge, instead of leaving the airport and going where you are going, is weird. No lounge in the US is nice enough to warrant extending your time at the destination airport.

Now, if you could spend time in the Lufthansa first class terminal in Frankfurt on arrival...
Statman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.