Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted 50-75-100k MR USA Platinum offers going around

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 8:05 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
...suggest that, for the plat offer I got, Amex doesn't mind that I already have a gold card.
Agreed. American Express seems to have liberalized the rules for Business cards at the same time as they tightened the rules for personal cards:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ess-cards.html
Old May 24, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Was anyone successful in getting the 150k after 20k Business card offer matched?
Old May 28, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,
They approved my Business Platinum a couple of weeks back (100k after 10k) and I got another Gold offer in the mail (Business 50k after 5k with first year fee waived). Called, applied and was approved. They just stated the 50k points etc. no question if I had a similar product etc. as they saw it on their end (the platinum was even referred to).
Guess Business cards are better for Amex than Private ones
Old May 29, 2014, 12:07 pm

Fiancee got a 100k plat offer, 50k PRG offer and 25k everyday offer haha. Amex must really love her. I just did a 25k spg card for her a month ago. What are the rules for applying for more amex cards? Can she do all 3 same day or what?

Would you guys do the 100k offer first or which offer do you think is the best?

So for whatever reason, Amex loves sending targeted offers to my fiancee. I signed her up for the SPG personal card on 5/6/14 and she received over the past couple weeks targeted offers for 50k for Amex Gold and $250 for everyday preferred.

They both have an expiration date of 7/3/14. Which one should I do next for her or can I do both? Is there a definitive wait time with Amex like there is with Citi for ex.?

Last edited by mia; May 30, 2014 at 3:19 pm Reason: Please do not post the question more than once.
Old May 30, 2014, 3:20 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Is there a definitive wait time with Amex like there is with Citi for ex.?
Anecdotally, five days.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Fiancee got a 100k plat offer, 50k PRG offer and 25k everyday offer haha. Amex must really love her. I just did a 25k spg card for her a month ago. What are the rules for applying for more amex cards? Can she do all 3 same day or what?

Would you guys do the 100k offer first or which offer do you think is the best?

So for whatever reason, Amex loves sending targeted offers to my fiancee. I signed her up for the SPG personal card on 5/6/14 and she received over the past couple weeks targeted offers for 50k for Amex Gold and $250 for everyday preferred.

They both have an expiration date of 7/3/14. Which one should I do next for her or can I do both? Is there a definitive wait time with Amex like there is with Citi for ex.?
From my understanding, under the new policy, you can have 1 signup bonus per card per lifetime. I called AMEX to ask if me having a PRG card barred me from getting the 100k Plat signup bonus, and they said it only applied if I had the Platinum card before in my past, which I had not.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by zorbachs
From my understanding, under the new policy, you can have 1 signup bonus per card per lifetime. I called AMEX to ask if me having a PRG card barred me from getting the 100k Plat signup bonus, and they said it only applied if I had the Platinum card before in my past, which I had not.
^ That is a useful data point. IIRC, the previous rule at American Express was the sign up bonus "ban" lumped all (personal) charge cards together. I.e.- If you were holding any one, you couldn't get the bonus on any other. It seems the new policy relaxes this rule.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by jn in ca
^ That is a useful data point. IIRC, the previous rule at American Express was the sign up bonus "ban" lumped all (personal) charge cards together. I.e.- If you were holding any one, you couldn't get the bonus on any other. It seems the new policy relaxes this rule.
Right, because under the old policy, it said if you had a green, gold, zync, or any other charge card in the last 12 months, you couldn't receive a signup bonus. It relaxes that policy, but of course, you only get 1 bonus per lifetime now.

I've inquired about this three times and each time, the rep told me 1 offer per card per lifetime. I'm almost to the $3k I need to spend now, so I hope they don't argue with me when I call to claim the 100,000 points.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ekwang
My ex, who I once had as an AU on my platinum card, just received a platinum colored envelope from AMEX today at my residence with the tagline on it of: " What would you do with 100,000 Membership Rewards Points? Apply for the Platinum Card today."

She's not my gf anymore, but if there are any points to be given out, I ought to get them for putting up with her for those 4 years.

But on a serious side, if you're in the mood for a good time to apply for a Platinum Card, this might just be the time. I'd open the offer envelope, but I don't want to incur the wrath of the postal service since it isn't addressed to me.
Were you able to get the offer even though not targeted to you?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:14 am

This was a wasted morning.
Got a 35K bonus offer for Delta gold AE last week, instantly approved.
Very next day got a mail offer for 50K bonus miles; called immediately, and was told "when you get the card and call to activate, explain you want the 50K."
Ha. Four (heavily accented) operators later (each wanting the entire story), I was specifically told "you must cancel this card and reapply with the better RSVP#"
Did so. Second application refused (yes, duh; should have known).
No way to work through very bad phone tree systems for a supervisor or knowledgeable rep.
(Probably dodged a bullet, seeing the total lack of customer service, but this should have been easy to do; Chase was able to adjust a new cc for a better offer with a simple phone call.)
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Not sure if this qualifies as targeted but went through Cardmatch on one of the blogs and I got 60k w/ $3k/3mo spent. I just got the SPG card yesterday so I'm going to hold out for a potentially bigger offer.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:17 pm

Meeting minimum spending on Amex platinum

I've almost reached the $3,000 needed to meet the signup bonus for the 100,000 points. Does amex apply the points when I get there or do I need to call and tell them I reached it? I hope they don't give me any problem. Reps have told me multiple times the RSVP offer is attached to my account.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by zorbachs
I've almost reached the $3,000...Reps have told me multiple times the RSVP offer is attached to my account.
Then relax. It is automatic but it does not happen right away. Look at your MR account after your next statement cuts.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:13 pm

Which offer nets you 100,000 points?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by EBUS
Which offer nets you 100,000 points?
Platinum targeted offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.