Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:23 pm

Amex PRG - Amex Won't Award Sign Up Bonus

I'm looking for advice on how to handle my first truly horrible experience with American Express. In July, I opened an Amex Personal Premier Rewards Gold Card with a 25,000 Membership Rewards bonus offer and a Amex Business Rewards Gold with a 50,000 MR bonus offer. I spent the required amount within the required time. The BRG bonus posted with no issue. However, I never received the PRG bonus.

I contacted Amex and they "elevated" the issue with a form and said they would write to me. They did not provide a reason other than they are unable to award me the 25,000 MR sign up bonus. The reps via the phone told me it is because I had received the BRG bonus and someone said it was because I was an existing card member (SPG Amex); in their defense the T&C said existing card members MAY be excluded, but that was it. A rep even told me to "be happy with the 50k offer and I was lucky I got anything, because they only award this to entirely new customers."

I wrote a letter to Amex MR Correspondence Unit with a screenshot of my app landing page (showing 25k offer), letter from the 1st escalation, and an explanation. They wrote back saying that I had received the 50k MR sign up bonus for the Business card and "could not locate a 25,000 offer" for my personal account. They did not award the bonus.

When I applied for these card I only had a SPG Amex. I have not had ANY Amex charge products since 2006 (when I opened my SPG Amex, I am NOT a churner).

I transferred all of my MR to Avios and I think that I am going to cancel both accounts and my SPG Amex (which I LOVE). Is there anything else I can do to fix this? This is by far the worst experience I have ever had with any bank/credit card.

Too bad Chase doesn't offer the SPG card. I'm done with Amex.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:08 pm

I don't think there's anything you can do that's going to get you those points, unfortunately. AmEx has for some reason recently decided to draw a firm line: only one signup up bonus per customer (and only if that customer is new). I'm a Green Card holder since 1987 (when there were no signup bonuses, since loyalty programs had literally just been invented) and have never had any other AmEx cards, but when I was considering applying for the SPG card this past August I was told that as a current AmEx card holder I wasn't eligible for the 30,000 point signup bonus. Apparently he most I can get is 10,000 Starpoints.

It sucks. If only I had signed up for SPG one year earlier! You'd almost think that AmEx WANTS us to churn its cards!
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Last year, I applied for PRG and got 25k bonus, then 6 months later, applied for Business Gold card, got 50k Bonus.

I wouldn't take their " NO ". May be, send a tweet to their support department.

Chase is really generous to give bonus points.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
I opened a new PRG in Feb with a 50K MR bonus.

In Sep, I applied for SPG Personal and SPG business for 30K bonus. SPG personal has posted the 30K bonus, I haven't recd the 20K bonus for business card yet. I will call them to confirm if I will receive it.

My wife opened a PRG with 50K bonus in Feb and 25K bonus for SPG personal and business and she got all the bonuses. I am not sure why AMEX refuses to give the OP the bonus for both personal and business cards.

Originally Posted by artemis
I don't think there's anything you can do that's going to get you those points, unfortunately. AmEx has for some reason recently decided to draw a firm line: only one signup up bonus per customer (and only if that customer is new). I'm a Green Card holder since 1987 (when there were no signup bonuses, since loyalty programs had literally just been invented) and have never had any other AmEx cards, but when I was considering applying for the SPG card this past August I was told that as a current AmEx card holder I wasn't eligible for the 30,000 point signup bonus. Apparently he most I can get is 10,000 Starpoints.

It sucks. If only I had signed up for SPG one year earlier! You'd almost think that AmEx WANTS us to churn its cards!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:45 pm

I tweeted yesterday, and that led to chat. The guy on chat was not dismissive at all. Although English was clearly not his first language, he could see the offer, see that I had met the spend requirement, and agreed to forward the case on again.

He asked for a link to the web site with the 25,000 bonus offer. He acknowledged that it was there, and agreed that he shared my confusion.

Although the points aren't awarded (yet), at least I got a reasonable person. We'll see what happens next.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 3:49 pm

I talked to a friendly customer service representative, who re-opened my case. This included screen shots of the offer and links to the web site from which I applied.

Amex still declined to honor their offer for 25,000 points.

I don't know how I can get any recourse at this point. I met their eligibility criteria, and they've just decided to keep saying "no."

Their repeated rationale was, "we have no record."

If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if there are some AMEX system glitches have caused the denial of bonuses in some of the cases posted here.

Seems if the application links could sometimes "misconnect" from the re-direct of the offer pages, and drop the offer information that should have been attached.

How can AMEX insist "no record" to deny one's bonus when the offer is not even a targeted one, but readily available publicly and the applicant has no other factors work against him in receiving such bonus?

Also the Delta bonus denial case is mind boggling too. The public offer is 35K and the ad is plastered everywhere. The only difference is the spend. Why the poster only is awarded 10K when he has not had any Delta card before?!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:43 pm

I haven't had an Amex Gold Premier Rewards card in about 2 years. I do however have a Hilton Amex and a Delta Business Amex.

Whenever I try to apply for the Amex Gold I get the following message and the 25K offer disappears.

I'm not sure if people are being denied the bonus because they have other Amex cards

"You have been identified as a current American Express Cardmember. You may have seen an offer advertised for this product previously, but the offer is not available to current American Express Cardmembers. '
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I haven't had an Amex Gold Premier Rewards card in about 2 years. I do however have a Hilton Amex and a Delta Business Amex.

Whenever I try to apply for the Amex Gold I get the following message and the 25K offer disappears.

I'm not sure if people are being denied the bonus because they have other Amex cards

"You have been identified as a current American Express Cardmember. You may have seen an offer advertised for this product previously, but the offer is not available to current American Express Cardmembers. '
Do you see this message when you are not logged in, clear all cookies and cache, AND use an Incognito window?

If AMEX denies bonus just because one owns any type of AMEX card, then it does not take long that there would be few applicants to apply for their cards.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Do you see this message when you are not logged in, clear all cookies and cache, AND use an Incognito window?

If AMEX denies bonus just because one owns any type of AMEX card, then it does not take long that there would be few applicants to apply for their cards.

Judging by the people I see being denied I'd rather not risk it as when applying if I login or use the info off another Amex card the 25,000 points offer disappears

"You have been identified as a current American Express Cardmember. You may have seen an offer advertised for this product previously, but the offer is not available to current American Express Cardmembers. "

Since they are telling me I am not eligible for the bonus when I apply I'm sure they will figure out I already have an Amex card and deny me

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 14, 2013 at 6:16 pm
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: AS 100K
Interesting data point: applied for, received and earned points on a PRG in February. Applied for AMEX MB Plat in Sept shortly after language was changed. I thought I was screwed, so didn't bother calling in. Once I received the card and registered online, the PRG and MB Plat were linked, so I was pretty sure the offer was dead in the water.

A few days ago, I ended up having to make a sizeable purchase (well over the $3k threshold), charged it to the MB Plat and lo and behold, 50,000 MR points promptly appeared in my account. ^^ Go figure!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, jetBlue Mosaic, National Executive
I signed up for the 25k Platinum bonus in May. I hit the spend almost immediately, as I use the card for all of my business travel expenses. Checked yesterday and my points still hadn't posted.

I called MR who said they couldn't help. Escalated to a supervisor, who also couldn't help. They said they had no record of me signing up for any bonus. I explained I wouldn't have signed up for the card had their not been a bonus. In addition, I also explained that this wasn't any sort of exotic targeted bonus -- I was merely requesting the standard 25k bonus (that they are still offering, but that's beside the point).

I got nowhere and eventually asked to be transferred to the rentention department. I explained my dissatisfaction with both this bonus debacle and the inability of the concierge service to pull through. He immediately offered 20k points and said it was nonnegotiable. I accepted. Not happy about losing 5k points, but I guess it's better than nothing.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Interesting data point: applied for, received and earned points on a PRG in February. Applied for AMEX MB Plat in Sept shortly after language was changed. I thought I was screwed, so didn't bother calling in. Once I received the card and registered online, the PRG and MB Plat were linked, so I was pretty sure the offer was dead in the water.

A few days ago, I ended up having to make a sizeable purchase (well over the $3k threshold), charged it to the MB Plat and lo and behold, 50,000 MR points promptly appeared in my account. ^^ Go figure!
The 25K offer popped up every time I logged into Amex until recently

I guess something changed, nice that you got it in time
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:50 pm

I saw the offer for a 10,000 point Starwood card today, not many points but it's first purchase so I figured why not

I was greeted with this message, I guess Amex is cracking down on giving out points

"If you are identified as a current American Express® Card Member, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months".
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by Mats
If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.
Small claims court; minimal hassle for you, lots of hassle and expense for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.