Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
I pulled out copies of the mailing I received in Dec. 2012 with the offer of 75K bonus MR points upon approval of the card and $5k spend in 3 months. Nowhere on my documentation is there anything about not being eligible for the bonus if you have or had another AX product in the last 12 months. The bonus terms show up on 3 separate pieces of parer with no disclaimer on any of them.
Did you look on the back, on top? If I remember correctly, that's where the key terms were.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
Did you look on the back, on top? If I remember correctly, that's where the key terms were.
Yes, I did. There is nothing.

If AX starting apply these new T&C in 2012 then how do I explain getting a 75K MR bonus for a new BRG card in Feb. 2012 when at the time I had a personal PRG card and a different BRG card?
Old May 13, 2013, 1:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If AX starting apply these new T&C in 2012 then how do I explain getting a 75K MR bonus for a new BRG card in Feb. 2012
The new terms came into effect during 2012, not on January 1, 2012. Also, as I mentioned in another reply, there was confusion at American Express about the meaning of these terms when they were first published. There is no confusion now, but if you received a printed invitation without them you should prevail.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:56 pm

Didn't get the 75K MR after $10K spend

I got approved for the 75K MR offer and they didn't gave me my points. This is my first AMEX business card and after writing, calling several times, and sending screenshots, they don't honor the bonus points.
Old May 13, 2013, 2:20 pm
mia

Originally Posted by adelgad4
... they don't honor the bonus points.
What is the stated reason?
Old May 13, 2013, 2:42 pm

Seems like there is a flood of these bonus offer turndowns all happening at the same time.

AX has the right to have whatever T&C they want, but they don't have the right to keep them a secret from customers and mislead them into using AX cards. AX is generating revenue of of the initial $5K of spend on their cards. Most of us will stop using it once we are informed we do not get the promised bonus MR points. At 3% discount AX is making a minimum of $150 from each of these new card accounts in 3 months. Not a bad way to gin up revenue in a short period of time.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:11 pm
mia

...they don't have the right to keep them a secret from customers and mislead them ....
While there may be exceptions the terms have been very clearly stated in every online offer that I have seen since mid-2012. Here is the standard offer for Business Gold Rewards:

http://www262.americanexpress.com/bu...ess-card/29790

Click the link Offer Terms and Benefits

Read this: Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product or any other Business Gold, Green or Platinum Card® within the last 12 months.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly, for the Delta Gold Amex, having ANY card from Amex may disqualify you for the signup bonus:

If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card account within the last 90 days.
This is for the cookie-hidden version of the app at 30K. If you log in, you get the app at 10K (or at least I do). So it may be that you only get 10K if you get this card as a current Amex cardholder, even if you use the 30K app page.

Amex does seem to be cracking down hard.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:17 pm

So if all I have is a Starwood Amex card, should I keep it open or cancel it to be safe before applying for new Amex cards with bonuses?
Old May 13, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
sbedelman: your experience was identical to mine. I could have written that post.

I have sent a letter to the corporate office in NY asking for someone to intervene and award the bonus points per their offer. I included copies of the mailing that shows nowhere is there a statement about not being eligible if you've had another AX card in the past 12 months. I asked for the promised bonus points as a gesture of AX being an honorable company for a 25+ year customer.

Sounds like you responded to the same offer I did for the 75K bonus MR points that was out last Dec. 2012. I had another BRG card within the last 12 months, closed in March 2013, but it was in the tax number of another business I have. I was told this doesn't matter as the constant between all the accounts is my personal name, not the business name.
I had the same experience. I've been a customer for years. I applied for the BRG card in the same of my second business. This business has never had an AmEx. They denied the bonus because my first business has the Platinum card.

I referred them to the terms which sites the 'applicant' can't have a Green, Gold, or Platinum card. When I said that THIS APPLICANT (business #2) didn't have those cards, I was told it didn't matter, that I (personally) was associated with a business Platinum card and the bonus was denied.

I really don't think the are thinking straight at AmEx these days. I can't seem to get other questions answered in one phone call anymore either.

You'd think they'd treat their best customers a little better.
Old May 14, 2013, 6:44 am
mia

Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
... that I (personally) was associated with a business Platinum card and the bonus was denied.
Correct. Business cards are issued to individuals, not to companies. This is true at all of the major issuers. The account is approved based on your personal credit, and you are personally responsible for the debt.

American Express could do a better job of communicating this in their terms, but if they allowed a bonus for each company name there would be no limit to the number of bonuses that an individual could receive, because we can invent a new business on demand.

Related discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...can-i-get.html
Old May 14, 2013, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by compddd
So if all I have is a Starwood Amex card, should I keep it open or cancel it to be safe before applying for new Amex cards with bonuses?
I'd like to know the answer to this question too.

Why is AX driving away their most valuable long time customers? Why would anyone apply for another AX card if they didn't get any sign up bonus MR points? Why not just keep using the card you have? Face it, the reason most of us have multiple cards is for the bonus MR points. I don't get why AX marketing keeps mailing me offers to open new cards if they won't honor the sign up bonus offers on these offers.

I'm on the verge of transferring out all of my MR points to an airline and terminating my business relationship with AX. I will wait and see how my situation plays out, whether I get the promised bonus MR points after escalating my case to the corporate offices.

In the meantime, Chase customer service is doing a fabulous job helping their business card holders. Chase's CS reps go above and beyond to solve problems and have a phone attitude that they actually care. When I call AX their phone CSR's attitude and tone is very indifferent.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:25 am
mia

...most valuable long time customers?
The most valuable customers are not those who apply for new cards to earn a bonus, but rather those who keep using the card they already have. I suspect that American Express is perfectly content to allow Chase to build the illusion of market share by attracting disgruntled churners. American Express knows that they can buy back those customers a year later if it suits them.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:51 am

but I use my AX card

Originally Posted by mia
The most valuable customers are not those who apply for new cards to earn a bonus, but rather those who keep using the card they already have. I suspect that American Express is perfectly content to allow Chase to build the illusion of market share by attracting disgruntled churners. American Express knows that they can buy back those customers a year later if it suits them.
Yes, I am a churner but I am also a 25 year AX card holder and heavy, heavy user of whichever card I happen to have. I'm not one of those people who only gets credit cards for the bonus. I actually keep using the cards. I have always had at least one flavor of AX card in my wallet in use at all times.

Last edited by susiesan; May 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm
Old May 14, 2013, 10:51 am
mia

... heavy, heavy user of whichever card I happen to have. I'm not one of those people who only gets credit cards for the bonus....
If American Express sees this it can be rewarded with a retention bonus, rather than a new account bonus. American Express is a mass market company. I think it is unrealistic to expect them to waive the published requirements for a new account bonus based on your individual history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.