Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2023, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Business Gold signup offer for P2, 110k after $10k spend in 3 months. She has never had a Business Gold. We did the spend in the first two months and those statements have closed, and both have been paid in full. But the signup bonus did not post.
Waited two more months and it never posted.

So three weeks ago, I called in. The rep could see all the spending but insisted some of it did not count for the bonus. When I pressed him, he spent about 45 minutes reviewing every transaction on the card. Everything looked legit. He put me on hold to talk to two other people. They agreed, everything looked legitimate.

The best he could figure out is that there was a large payment for pest control services and it looked like the merchant hadn't sent a valid category code. The system had counted it for regular spending but not for the bonus.

He composed "an email" for another department to explain it. And he insisted he would call me back personally when he heard from them. No case number, no reference info, nothing. "Don't worry", he'll call me.

Three weeks later and nothing.

Debating what to do next. Might be time to write to the executive office. All the spend is legitimate and I want the bonus.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 12:16 pm

He composed "an email" for another department to explain it. And he insisted he would call me back personally when he heard from them. No case number, no reference info, nothing. "Don't worry", he'll call me.
Update on my continuing saga. I'm sure no one is surprised, but that rep never got back to me. I gave him 2 months.

So I called in today. Got another rep. She could barely understand what I was trying to explain to her. She insisted that a Personal Gold bonus from 2022 was the only thing she saw in her system. The only thing she was willing to do was create a case for a different team and the only thing she would put in the case was a request for them to explain why I didn't get the bonus.

No matter how I tried to explain to her that the previous rep had already explained all of that and I needed to talk to someone about how the system was not accurate in counting up the spend, she refused to put anything like that in the case.

So now I am waiting "7-10 days" for an "email or letter" from some other team, to apparently explain to me why I didn't get a bonus from two years ago on a card I opened this year.

I'm becoming genuinely frustrated with Amex, to the point of not putting any discretionary spend on their cards. This nonsense is silly.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
I think it's time you file a CFPB complaint. You've waited long enough.
SPN Lifer and MDtR-Chicago like this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by happychic
I think it's time you file a CFPB complaint. You've waited long enough.
Shocking plot twist!

Whatever the rep put in that case yesterday seems to have worked! The signup bonus was posted today in full.

I'm so confused.
ZenFlyer, SPN Lifer and happychic like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:11 pm

Shocking plot twist!

Whatever the rep put in that case yesterday seems to have worked! The signup bonus was posted today in full.

I'm so confused.
I thought this saga was over, but... three months later, Amex posted the bonus again. This is about seven months after I completed the spend.

I'm just gonna leave those extra points right where they are until Amex notices what they did, I guess.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Strange to see this thread bumped. I had met the requirement on a bus plat some 8 + months back. I was planning to call up but surprisingly just got the miles a few days ago.
Sandeep1 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Strange to see this thread bumped. I had met the requirement on a bus plat some 8 + months back. I was planning to call up but surprisingly just got the miles a few days ago.
You waited 8 months? Good Lord you're patient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.