Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
People who want to play the credit card mileage game need to first and foremost learn the basic, most important rule: READ THE T&C's before making any commitment or assumptions.

Those who fail to read the T&C's have no one to blame but themselves.

If people don't like the T&C's, simply do not participate. No business is truly going to give you something for nothing.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:52 pm

If I have a personal amex gold PRG, and applied for a business version of amex platinum, can I get the sign-up bonus?
Old May 10, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by JYoon
If I have a personal amex gold PRG, and applied for a business version of amex platinum, can I get the sign-up bonus?
Yes.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:09 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by JYoon
Personal cards don't affect business cards. If you have no other business charge card in the past 12 months, you're qualified.
Old May 10, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
At one time Amex was very accommodating about gray, and even black and white, areas like this. That changed about two years ago. Amex is still very churable, but within the scope of their rules. Right now I have no biz Amex and Mrs. Redtop has no personal amex. Wink Wink. I'm also not sure that there isn't a loophole about the MB Plat Amex vs. the regular. But don't count on it. Read the T&C carefully. I got a Plat about 6 months ago, sans bonus. Oh well.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by redtop43
At one time Amex was very accommodating about gray, and even black and white, areas like this. That changed about two years ago. Amex is still very churable, but within the scope of their rules. Right now I have no biz Amex and Mrs. Redtop has no personal amex. Wink Wink. I'm also not sure that there isn't a loophole about the MB Plat Amex vs. the regular. But don't count on it. Read the T&C carefully. I got a Plat about 6 months ago, sans bonus. Oh well.
The change came around the time that the "bump the bonus" game was rolling in 2011. Amex played this game in those days because of their competition with Chase, but I'm sure that Amex eventually realized it was a dead end to keep adjusting bonuses, which was probably really great for those playing the game, while rubbing longtime customers who figured loyalty would certainly be rewarded the wrong way.

The clear rules Amex has adopted helped to end that--while at the same time, making it obvious to long-term cardholders that if you want to play this game, Amex won't stand in your way, but you'll have to turn over cards to do it.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:59 pm

Does anyone know if Ameriprise Amex Plat = Regular Amex Plat? I was surprised to find the benefits are not exactly the same. I was told I don't have return protection on my Ameriprise but do have the accidental damage/theft and extended warranty.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:24 pm

^^ I'd like to know that as well. I'm also curious if it's even possible to apply for that anymore. Ended up getting the MB card after that app gave an error.
I do have an insignificant relationship with Ameriprise.
Old May 10, 2013, 3:10 pm

Amex Denies Bonus Keep is Secret

New one on me. I applied for Amex Rewards Gold and Business Rewards Gold. Can't say for sure without reviewing all my records but believe when agent called to verify some information they assured me I was eligible for the sign up bonus. I'm accepted, I believe this happened on the verification call.

Now it seems they denied both bonus, one on 3/1 the other on 3/8 and never even notified me. In fact they assured me in a call not 20 minutes ago I would get these and it was only when I asked if they could see any written notations and they transferred me to MR did they finally tell me I had been denied.

At best they denied and deliberately kept the information secret leading me accept a card I otherwise would not have. More likely if my memory is correct they told me I was eligible, then changed their mind, then failed to inform me of this.

The fact that Amex does not send out a letter really has me feeling this is deliberate.

Any comments?
Old May 10, 2013, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether OP is entitled to a specific benefit or not is a matter of the t&c of the card for which he applied. There's nothing to notify OP about. He either is due it and can pursue the benefit or he's not in which case, he got found out.
Old May 10, 2013, 3:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sbedelman
I applied for Amex Rewards Gold and Business Rewards Gold.
What other personal or charge cards did you hold at the time you applied or within the preceding 12 months?

When I last applied online a confirmation of my bonus appeared on the screen:

Congratulations mia,
your application has been approved.
You are now an American Express® Cardmember.

Welcome Offer and Benefits
Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $1,000 in 3 months.
Receive 15,000 points after you spend $30,000 within one calendar year.
Introductory annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $175.
Old May 10, 2013, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Congratulations mia,
your application has been approved.
You are now an American Express® Cardmember.

Welcome Offer and Benefits
Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $1,000 in 3 months.
Receive 15,000 points after you spend $30,000 within one calendar year.
Introductory annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $175.

I never received the above other than I have been approved when I applied for the AMEX Gold Business Card with 75k MR after 5k spending within 3 months.

Am I supposed to receive the Welcome Offer and Benefits on the approval page or an email with the MR points similar to yours. Below is what I received after applying for the card on May 8, 2013:

We are pleased to approve your application for Business Gold Rewards Card. We hope you'll continue to enjoy the benefits and services that come with Cardmembership. We are expediting the delivery of your Business Card, and you will receive it in 2 to 3 days.

When your Card arrives, you can activate it online at www.americanexpress.com/activate or you can call us by following the instructions on the sticker on your Card.

Thank you for your Cardmembership. We look forward to continuing to serve you.

Sincerely,
American Express Customer Service
Old May 11, 2013, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by mia
What other personal or charge cards did you hold at the time you applied or within the preceding 12 months?

When I last applied online a confirmation of my bonus appeared on the screen:
I had a Platinum and a Green personally. I had no business cards but had in the past although I don't remember if it was more than a year ago.

Since posting I checked my notes. Not only did they confirm that I was eligible for the bonus when they called to verify information but I called on 4/6 just to check how much time I had to make the minimum spend and they gave me the dates and confirmed again.

Then I called today on another matter and asked how long for the points and they said 8-10 weeks. It was only when I asked if the bonus what noted and he said no that he said he wanted to transfer me to MR.

They immediately said I had been denied the first week of March. So even ignoring what I was told when they verified (at which time they specifically said I would get the bonus) they were telling me a month AFTER the denied that I would get it and then again the first agent two months after that (today).

When I asked MR why when they denied on 3/1 they didn't send a letter (since that would have saved making the minimum spend) they said we don't do that.

The conversation only got more absurd. Finally it descended into farce when the agent they got on the line to cancel my cards stated they had actually tried to call me to tell me I wasn't eligible for the bonus and when I said "what?" she read the actual notation and the call was for something else entirely. When I called her on this she then reversed course claiming she had never said that the reason was the bonus, but only that they had called (thank goodness this is all on tape).

I'm flabbergasted. Amex confirm three separate times I'm eligible...when I am approved, a month later and today. They deny the bonus, but keep don't send a letter.

I've got no objection to their saying your aren't eligible for a bonus, but I think if they specifically tell you you are then you are. These people have computers . Even if they screwed up the first time, they should have given me the correct answer the second. And even if they screwed up twice I still would have forgiven them if they had only sent a letter back in March.

All this could have been avoided if they had a policy of notifying card members but they deliberately don't.

Bad call. I gave them plenty of opportunity to make it right and they declined. I've been a card member for for almost 20 years. I cancelled all but my Green card and will get rid of that as soon as I burn off the 500,000 miles I have in my account .

Its not the miles, but the ethics. If a company repeatedly gives out incorrect information, keeps the correct information from the customer when they could easy have informed them, and isn't the slightest abashed when someone suggests that this might be seen as unsavory, they aren't to be trusted.

Lucky for me I also have a 25 year plus relationship with Chase so I'm sure they will be happy to have the business that has been going to Amex.

Last edited by sbedelman; May 11, 2013 at 12:12 am
Old May 13, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold
sbedelman: your experience was identical to mine. I could have written that post.

I have sent a letter to the corporate office in NY asking for someone to intervene and award the bonus points per their offer. I included copies of the mailing that shows nowhere is there a statement about not being eligible if you've had another AX card in the past 12 months. I asked for the promised bonus points as a gesture of AX being an honorable company for a 25+ year customer.

Sounds like you responded to the same offer I did for the 75K bonus MR points that was out last Dec. 2012. I had another BRG card within the last 12 months, closed in March 2013, but it was in the tax number of another business I have. I was told this doesn't matter as the constant between all the accounts is my personal name, not the business name.

In the meantime, until this is resolved, I am putting thousands of dollars of business bills on my Chase card. I will not put another penny of spend on any AX card until this is resolved in my favor. if it is not, I will transfer out all MR points, close the account, and never do business with AX again. I will also stop accepting AX at my business. Like you, I don't do business with unethical and dishonest companies.

Last edited by susiesan; May 13, 2013 at 12:47 pm
Old May 13, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
People who want to play the credit card mileage game need to first and foremost learn the basic, most important rule: READ THE T&C's before making any commitment or assumptions.

Those who fail to read the T&C's have no one to blame but themselves.

If people don't like the T&C's, simply do not participate. No business is truly going to give you something for nothing.
I pulled out copies of the mailing I received in Dec. 2012 with the offer of 75K bonus MR points upon approval of the card and $5k spend in 3 months. Nowhere on my documentation is there anything about not being eligible for the bonus if you have or had another AX product in the last 12 months. The bonus terms show up on 3 separate pieces of parer with no disclaimer on any of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.