Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
I could have sworn that FT has an Amex forum specifically designated for rants like this.
Wow! A blast from the past. It's nice to see you posting again. Seriously.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Problems reported by thepenguins and CLTF have been combined. This is a recurring topic, see these older threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...1-03-11-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...us-points.html

To understand why front line customer service agents no longer have the authority to correct new account bonus discrepancies, browse this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ighlight=honor

Last edited by mia; Dec 23, 2012 at 2:31 pm
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Continue discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...hlight=refuses
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:39 am

Amex refuses to honor bonus

I applied for my 1st Business Card the AMEX PRG business card for the 75k points after 10k spend back in August.
I met the requirement and called them after a few months and they said they have no record of any bonus.
An investigation was opened and I got a letter stating they have no record of the bonus etc
I got in touch with someone that is higher up and he spoke to them directly and they even sent him screen shots of my application that doesn't show an offer and they said there is no way they are giving it to me.

What should I do at this point?
Should I contact the BBB?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by ascg
I applied for my 1st Business Card the AMEX PRG business card for the 75k points after 10k spend back in August.
I met the requirement and called them after a few months and they said they have no record of any bonus.
An investigation was opened and I got a letter stating they have no record of the bonus etc
I got in touch with someone that is higher up and he spoke to them directly and they even sent him screen shots of my application that doesn't show an offer and they said there is no way they are giving it to me.

What should I do at this point?
Should I contact the BBB?
This has happened before, mods can direct this to the right thread. Writing to the executive department is another suggested avenue.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by pcharles
This has happened before, mods can direct this to the right thread. Writing to the executive department is another suggested avenue.
That worked for you? is this their address:?

American Express Membership Rewards
PO Box 297813
Ft Lauderdale FL 33329-7813
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Kimpton, Red Lion, SPG
I'm trying to get my 15,000 SPG points for spending $5000 within 6 months on my SPG branded AMEX. I've attempted three times through the messaging system to get this resolved with no success. I doubt I still have the paper work that came with the card, but I'm going to try to find it. (Now I know to save all my AMEX documents.) It's frustrating, I would have been using a different card if I knew I wouldn't get the bonus.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:36 pm

Amex 100k Platinum and Screwed Over

I applied for the 100k Amex platinum and thought because I only had a Gold reward card I could get the Platinum offer. I don't specifically remember the terms when I signed up but below was the response from the rep at Amex after I tweeted them. Any ideas what I can do?

Welcome bonus offer is not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any Consumer ZYNC, Green or Gold Card account within the last 90 days. Or records indicate you had a Premier Rewards Gold Card account (which was closed on 02/26/2013) open when you were approved for the Platinum Card on 01-08-2013, therefore no bonus was applied to the account.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Turn on the NBA playoffs?

You don't qualify. Period. Cancel the Plat card before you pay too much annual fee? (You get a pro-rated refund.)
Old May 9, 2013, 8:44 pm

Not much you can do, the terms and conditions were exactly what they're claiming when you signed up. You could ask for a goodwill bonus but you're probably not going to get much, and almost certainly not the 100k.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
The AMEX terms and conditions have not changed in a long time. Unfortunately, you are out of luck.

In the future, you should become familiar with the terms and conditions of the card you are thinking of applying for BEFORE you apply.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

You could post in the unsuccessful miles earning thread and realize that we've all made big mistakes somewhere along the line.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA,DL,SPG,Hyatt
I got screwed as well.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz
I got screwed as well.
I don't understand the "as well" part. Several people here have confirmed that the OP did not qualify for the 100k offer, and that the exclusion was disclosed in the Terms and Conditions of the offer. How exactly did they get "screwed?" I see this as a separate situation from the people who IMHO really did get screwed by signing up for an offer that they do qualify for, only later to be told that their application "wasn't coded for that bonus."
Old May 9, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA,DL,SPG,Hyatt
Originally Posted by Steve M
I don't understand the "as well" part. Several people here have confirmed that the OP did not qualify for the 100k offer, and that the exclusion was disclosed in the Terms and Conditions of the offer. How exactly did they get "screwed?" I see this as a separate situation from the people who IMHO really did get screwed by signing up for an offer that they do qualify for, only later to be told that their application "wasn't coded for that bonus."
Ok, I screwed up myself. I didn't read the fine prints and assume it would qualify since I never had Platinum. I saw the 100k and thought it was no-brainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.