Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:24 pm

I was told conflicting stories that I would and I would not get my 15k bonus points by multiple Amex reps via chat.

I needed a card for Costco so I spent the $5k anyway and today the 15,000 bonus points showed up.

I have an HH Amex open and last had the SPG card about 3 years ago.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Any Luck Getting Denied Sign Up Bonuses

I signed up for an AMEX Gold Business Card in January with a no fee 75,000 mile bonus after $10,000 spend in 3 months. I have reached the spend requirement but no in phone calls and emails AMEX is telling me there is no record of the bonus offer. I did not get charged a fee for the first year.
Has anyone had any luck with other channels in getting the bonus points promised?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Amex refuses to honor PRG 25k bonus

I've been fighting with Amex since January to get the 25k MR sign up bonus for my PRG which I got last summer. 25k points after spending 2k in first 3 months, and first year free. I have had ZERO success getting them to honor the points, though I did get the first year free.

I've called more times than I can count, lodge disputes, and finally sent a snail mail letter to MR correspondence as they instructed. Apparently they sent a letter denying it though I never received the letter. Complete BS. I have the screenshots and signed up for it on the Amex site using my own existing login.

I'll be having a fun conversation with them when I call to cancel the card.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:05 pm

krazykanuck,
Let us know what happens. We're in the same boat.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
Holocker:I recently got the 75k BRG offer. I'm travelling. PM me and i will PM you the bonus code that i got for my 75k brg offer

Originally Posted by holocker
I signed up for an AMEX Gold Business Card in January with a no fee 75,000 mile bonus after $10,000 spend in 3 months. I have reached the spend requirement but no in phone calls and emails AMEX is telling me there is no record of the bonus offer. I did not get charged a fee for the first year.
Has anyone had any luck with other channels in getting the bonus points promised?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:31 am

I've been lurking around the Amex thread for a bit now, as I have an old Gold Card and have been thinking of pulling Amex back into my AOR fold. Should I even bother? It almost sounds like if you've had any amex in the past, it's a huge YMMV if you'll get the sign up bonuses or not....
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:32 am

Does anyone know the 50K offer code that came through mailings at the end of last year? My Daughter In Law received the mailing, signed up, but didn't keep the mailing so she doesn't have the offer code. Amex gave her 25K and is denying the additional 25K saying they don't have her offer code in the system. She even received and has the documents which came with the card saying she gets 50K pts. Amex is saying they don't care and can't do anything without the offer code.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Different marketing divisions within AMEX

Had trouble receiving your points with Amex cards?

Yeah, join the club.

The standard answer from AMEX is no, you didn't qualify for points due to blah, blah, blah, blah, etc.

One response was something like, oh, no, you didn't apply by phone so you didn't qualify because that's the promo that was available.

So, I had to school the retention department (my belief) that there is a marketing company out there contracted to AMEX that is pushing credit card promotions by providing links to travel blogs whereby the blogger receives a small commission for a successful application. Many of those promotions have points promised that the promotions department AT Amex have no knowledge of. Well, apparently have no knowledge.

I am still fighting for the 25K points for Gold Preferred. Having had an inquiry open but not answered for over two weeks now with a rep that can't find the inquiry and then advising, oh, no answer yet and expecting me to be perky with my "oh, that's ok, I have nothing better to do but call AMEX every day of my busy life", I kinda "had it" today especially with off shore reps who I am supposed to be happy with their lack of training and mediocre level of service. Nice people, though. You can get a "how you doing today?" that transcends any idea that it's time to attend to the reason for the call. My audio observation.

So, I called again and got retention department letting them know that if the recent HH Surpass Amex use was going to end in, "no ma'am, you didn't qualify for those 75K points of which you speak", I would just go ahead and cancel now because I am not putting my efforts out for the minimum spend only to be told later, "SORRY! NO points for you!!!"

The representative made phone calls, advised she really "got it" when the customer service call becomes customer frustration syndrome, and actually got enough information that would support my 75K HH point expectation w/the minimum spend. She said she is recording on the account record that I get the points.

What is one to conclude? That AMEX only cares to provide a quality of service when retention becomes an issue? Well, I got schooled, too. It's too much to expect the offshore reps to absorb past their "culture". Not my word, the retention rep advised me of this. Good lady.

I think the offshore peeps get lesser training and lesser technical hardware to do the job of being the first in line to speak to the customer.

Amex, you are frustrating your customer base and will lose them when the pullback on bonus awards that you are implementing hits a ceiling that isn't tolerable anymore. In the meantime, many of your competitors are doing a better job.
Old May 11, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jan_believes
Had trouble receiving your points with Amex cards?

Yeah, join the club.

The standard answer from AMEX is no, you didn't qualify for points due to blah, blah, blah, blah, etc.

One response was something like, oh, no, you didn't apply by phone so you didn't qualify because that's the promo that was available.

So, I had to school the retention department (my belief) that there is a marketing company out there contracted to AMEX that is pushing credit card promotions by providing links to travel blogs whereby the blogger receives a small commission for a successful application. Many of those promotions have points promised that the promotions department AT Amex have no knowledge of. Well, apparently have no knowledge.
A number of travel bloggers recently (last month) had their affiliate links pulled by American Express, no reason given. It may (I emphasize MAY) be a good thing, because it may mean AmEx is no longer going to put up with the tiny minority who game the system and ruin it for everyone else.

Originally Posted by jan_believes
Amex, you are frustrating your customer base and will lose them when the pullback on bonus awards that you are implementing hits a ceiling that isn't tolerable anymore. In the meantime, many of your competitors are doing a better job.
I agree. It used to be that American Express CSRs did whatever t took to make the customer happy. Now, they are really being put to shame by some competitors.
Old May 13, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mats
krazykanuck,
Let us know what happens. We're in the same boat.
Just got off the phone with them. They continued to not budge. Gave me a retention offer of 15K. Hope the points hit before the annual fee because I don't want to pay the fee to keep the card another year.
Old May 13, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Just got off the phone with them. They continued to not budge. Gave me a retention offer of 15K. Hope the points hit before the annual fee because I don't want to pay the fee to keep the card another year.
But American Express prorates AF refunds, right?
Old May 13, 2014, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jn in ca
But American Express prorates AF refunds, right?
Do they? I've never closed an Amex account with an annual fee like that before.

Edit: they do. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-refunded.html

Last edited by krazykanuck; May 13, 2014 at 4:29 pm
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: SPG Gold
HELP! Spent 3K and was told No Bonus Program with card!

I applied for the platinum card after reading about it on the an online blog in early March. I followed the link from the blog and before the application form it did mention the 40K points bonus after 3K spend.

However, recently when I called them to check up on how much i had spent just to make sure I had spent enough, I was told that my card did not have a bonus program with it.

That was so frustrating. I wonder how that could have happened. And now what should I do? Is there a way I can still pursue this? When I talked to the customer represtative I was told that they would investigate again and get back to me, but it had been a month and I haven't heard anything back.

When I first called I was told that it had something to do that I already had the american express cards (even though they were not platinum cards) so I would not be qualified. But last time I was just told that my card did not have a bonus points program with it.

This is my first amex card that i have to pay fees. If i cancel it now, will I be able to get it next time and get the bonus points?

Thank you in advance for your advice!!! J.H.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by onebluesky

This is my first amex card that i have to pay fees. If i cancel it now, will I be able to get it next time and get the bonus points?
Suggest you read the terms and conditions of the card offer. The answer will be very clear.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: AIR: AA, TrueBlue, MileagePlus
SPG 25K sign up Bonus denied

Back in October I followed the link from BoardingArea or FlyerTalk for a 10K + 15K after $5k spend bonus offer to open a SPG card. I got the credit for the 10k but never recieved the additional 15k after the 6 months were up.

I chatted with customer service and they told me an investigation would be opened up... I waited a few weeks with no reply. I just got off the phone tonight with customer service and they claim I never had a code offered to me and there was nothing I could do... After talking to a supervisor and being told there is nothing I told them to close my account. I was offered 1,500 points to stay and i laughed.

I am extremely disappointed in AmEx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.