Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

If i cancel Amex card (USA), will the annual fee be prorated and refunded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold
Question about Refund/Credit of Plat Annual Fee (Downgrading)

I signed up for the Platinum Card under the premise of a 25,000 MR bonus, which I was promised on the phone with a CSR (nothing official in the mail). To date that bonus has not arrived.

The only benefit I use of the Plat card is Lounge Access, and I can purchase a President's Club Access for $325 (as Silver Elite) and get access to ALL Skyteam lounges w/ 2 guests.

I am going to call Amex tomorrow and inquire into the where abouts of my 25,000 bonus MR I was promised.

If am I told that I will not get them, has anyone had experience with having the annual fee credited, if I were to downgrade? ( I have only had the Plat since Jan.)

I was originally planning to downgrade to preferred green in Dec, however upgraded to Plat with the promise of the 25k points

Thanks,

Andrew
Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold
As a follow up,

I called Amex this morning and presented my case. They still could not find the missing 25,000 MR bonus points that I was promised. They offered 5,000 MR for my troubles, but I declined, and asked instead to be downgraded to Pref. Rewards Green, and have the difference of the annual fee returned, which they had no problem doing.

Now I am looking forward to actually being able to sign up for the montly bonus point specials that come up.

-Andrew
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:58 am

Platinum card cancelled: partial refund reports?

Anyone recently cancel their AmEx Platinum card and can report a partial refund (or denial) of remaining annual $450 fee?

Any tips to suggest on best way to request this?
I reviewed T&C's recent FT posts and don't see anything in either one.

Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
There is no trick or denial of this. If you have paid your yearly fee and cancel you will receive a prorated refund predicated upon how many months since you payed the fee... x/12.

Just be careful if you have just signed up for the card with a point bonus, as they may confiscate the points or charge you for them
Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:40 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion
Originally Posted by mlad1101
There is no trick or denial of this. If you have paid your yearly fee and cancel you will receive a prorated refund predicated upon how many months since you payed the fee... x/12.

Just be careful if you have just signed up for the card with a point bonus, as they may confiscate the points or charge you for them
+1
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by mlad1101

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but how much do they charge? I opened an Amex Platinum earlier this year I believe around March, but due to the Continental partnership ending, I'd like to cancel the card and move to Chase.

I got the 100,000 bonus (transferred to Continental) and have spent a ton on the card - so are they going to charge me for this?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by elonepb
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but how much do they charge? I opened an Amex Platinum earlier this year I believe around March, but due to the Continental partnership ending, I'd like to cancel the card and move to Chase.

I got the 100,000 bonus (transferred to Continental) and have spent a ton on the card - so are they going to charge me for this?
Charge you? No you should be fine since you've had the card at least 6 months. Although I suggest you keep the card until January so you can use the $200 airline credit again for 2012. If you don't plan on flying in Jan, then you can buy $200 in gift cards with most of the airlines, get the credit from AMEX, then cancel card before you are hit with the annual fee.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by canesfan
Charge you? No you should be fine since you've had the card at least 6 months. Although I suggest you keep the card until January so you can use the $200 airline credit again for 2012. If you don't plan on flying in Jan, then you can buy $200 in gift cards with most of the airlines, get the credit from AMEX, then cancel card before you are hit with the annual fee.
good call.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Also, before canceling the card, ask to see if they will give you an bonus points for keeping up. I'm not sure how stingy they are vs the Premier Rewards Gold card. But my wife called to cancel her Gold Card, and they offered her 10,000 bonus points and another 7,500 when she spends 1K in 3 months...
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by canesfan
Thanks, sounds great but when I checked, I opened the card in January. Sounds like I'd be better off canceling after next month when the Continental partnership ends.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
What happens to annual fee when canceling?

Just got hit with my $150 Gold card after 3 years of having the card. After getting chase sapphire and having a corporate plat card (and the benefits attached) I don't see much use for keeping Amex gold. I'm thinking about waiting until the next Delta transfer bonus and then dumping the card after transferring. Will I received a pro-rated refund of my annual fee?
Old May 30, 2012, 1:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
In my experience yes, they have given me pro-rated refunds of cards canceled mid-term.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:32 pm

I have a gold and platinum. I was planning to close the gold and keep the platinum 3 more months (for the travel insurance during a trip, maybe airline fees too, if I fly with united) because I had heard they'll prorate your annual fee if you close mid-year.

Today I called to check on this and the rep said I'd have to keep one or the other open in order to receive a pro-rated annual fee on the closed account. Really?!

If it makes a difference, I would have no AMEX cards once I close these (which is fine with me for right now since I'm waiting for a good SPG offer).
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:40 pm

When I closed my plat, they specifically said that I would be refunded the prorated annual fee because I had another American Express product (Hilton card)--the suggestion being that I would not have been refunded if I'd not already had the Hilton card.

Seems like they require you to continue being a customer to get the partial refund.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
When I closed my plat, they specifically said that I would be refunded the prorated annual fee because I had another American Express product (Hilton card)--the suggestion being that I would not have been refunded if I'd not already had the Hilton card.

Seems like they require you to continue being a customer to get the partial refund.
How did you end up receiving your prorated refund? Credit to your final plat bill? To your Hilton card? Check in the mail?

Seems like a credit to your final plat would be the most straightforward, but wondering if anyone has experience closing the card with a balance lower than the prorated refund?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.