Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

40% bonus on transfer of MR (USA) to BA thru 9/27/2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

40% bonus on transfer of MR (USA) to BA thru 9/27/2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by standingoten
What's the advantage of BA points? I heard fuel surcharges were absurd.
Follow MIA's advice and look in BA forum but in case you are lazy like me and hate to hunt one of the popular uses for Avios (when they were called Executive club )was to use the points to fly partner metal like AA that had a much smaller fuel surcharge. If you want more info follow MIA advice where you will find how to instructions on finding partner availability, etc.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I have 78K MR points. My annual fee on my PRG comes up on February, and I don't plan to keep it. If I get up to 80K, I can turn that into 112k BA avios, with the intention of using them for LAX - Hawaii. Is it worth it to hold out hope for a 50% bonus for those extra 8k miles? It's definitely not worth paying the annual fee to me, so I'm going to cancel and transfer regardless. All my amex spend goes to the SPG now anyway. I'd love any input from more experienced amexers

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Either way, odds about 50-50 that you'll do the right thing.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Wow - I wish we got some of these offers in the UK! We only early MRs at 0.6 per USD (1 per GBP) as it is so being stuck with 1:1 transfers to Avios is particularly galling! Enjoy it while you can you lucky American folk
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by GoGreen
Either way, odds about 50-50 that you'll do the right thing.
Actually, his chance of doing the right thing is (probably) somewhat better than 50-50:
- There's a 50% chance he goes for the current 40% bonus offer. And there's a 50% chance he doesn't.
- If he doesn't, there a various possibilities whose odds are difficult -- if not impossible -- to evaluate:
(a) The offer is virtually immediately re-introduced at the 50% bonus level.
(b) The offer is not renewed at the 50% bonus level, and no other offers are made available between now and his card's expiry date in February.
(c) The offer is renewed towards the end of the year (as happened in 2010 and 2011 -- but there was no offer in September in those years, so is the pattern changing?), first at the 30% bonus level, then 40% then 50%. If so, and if the pattern of 2010 & 2011 holds (but will it?), he would be unlikely to hit the 50% level by February, but he might make the 40% level.

So, on balance, there's probably a better than 50% chance he does the "right thing" -- but we have no idea what that "right thing" is!

On the other hand, since a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, plus the fact that what is at stake is missing out completely and getting a 0% (or perhaps only a 30%) bonus versus only an extra 10% bonus, I should think the odds are best if he goes for the current offer and be done with it. (The argument might well be different if he didn't have a February deadline.)

But why, oh why, is Amex putting us through these idiotic twists and turns, with us (myself included) sitting here like mileage sluts racking our brains trying to figure out which horse to gamble on???

Last edited by husseinbadr; Sep 1, 2012 at 6:42 am
Old Sep 1, 2012, 1:45 pm

i just transfered 75K points to BA and got the 40% bonus.

Called amex and canceled my platinum card, and they are going to refund my 450$ annual fee that was just billed to me!

Now I am just concerned that I won't be able to use the BA Points for travel within the US. Seems like most of the dates i enter are not available. How do you find dates that are available?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:00 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by subx
i. How do you find dates that are available?
Search in the BA forum for information about redeeming Avois on partner flights. The simplest method is to find availability on AA.com or alaskaair.com and call BA to book. Note that only the lowest level award inventory (SAAver) is available to partner airlines.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by husseinbadr
Actually, his chance of doing the right thing is (probably) somewhat better than 50-50:
- There's a 50% chance he goes for the current 40% bonus offer. And there's a 50% chance he doesn't.
- If he doesn't, there a various possibilities whose odds are difficult -- if not impossible -- to evaluate:
(a) The offer is virtually immediately re-introduced at the 50% bonus level.
(b) The offer is not renewed at the 50% bonus level, and no other offers are made available between now and his card's expiry date in February.
(c) The offer is renewed towards the end of the year (as happened in 2010 and 2011 -- but there was no offer in September in those years, so is the pattern changing?), first at the 30% bonus level, then 40% then 50%. If so, and if the pattern of 2010 & 2011 holds (but will it?), he would be unlikely to hit the 50% level by February, but he might make the 40% level.

So, on balance, there's probably a better than 50% chance he does the "right thing" -- but we have no idea what that "right thing" is!

On the other hand, since a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, plus the fact that what is at stake is missing out completely and getting a 0% (or perhaps only a 30%) bonus versus only an extra 10% bonus, I should think the odds are best if he goes for the current offer and be done with it. (The argument might well be different if he didn't have a February deadline.)

But why, oh why, is Amex putting us through these idiotic twists and turns, with us (myself included) sitting here like mileage sluts racking our brains trying to figure out which horse to gamble on???
I like your analysis. It's basically what I was thinking anyway. Given the February deadline, I feel like the odds of missing the extra 10% are lower than missing out on the existing 40%. In addition, my goal for the miles will be RT tickets LAX > Hawaii the next two years for two, so that's 100K miles (at current redemption rates). Turning my 78K into >100K accomplished my goal, with 9K leftover for a short domestic flight, if I want it. I have no other relationship with BA at this point (maxed out chase cards at the moment, and next on my list is definitely the CSP, so it may be a while before I get a BA card).

My gut intuition is to pull the trigger. I almost did last time during the 50%, but held off.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, SQ Gold
US Amex account to UK Exec Club Account?

I have a US Amex registered to a US address but my BA Executive Club account is registered to a UK address. Is it possible to transfer MR on such a basis? Do I just enter my BAEC number and off they go? Or will a difference in address stop it happening?

I've searched this forum and found posts suggesting that as long as the name and number match I should be ok. But I've not found anything that covers this precise scenario.

Thanks for any recent insight.

Sfw

Last edited by SFW13; Sep 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by gezzuzz
i get this message

We apologize for the inconvenience, the system is currently unavailable. Please try your request again by refreshing the page.

If you require further assistance please call Membership Rewards Customer Service at 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276).
i keep getting this error
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
That happened to me when I took advantage of the 50% bonus earlier this year. I called, and the transfer took place almost instantly. Quick and painless.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:31 am

I kept getting this error too:

WE'RE SORRY

We apologize for the inconvenience, the system is currently unavailable. Please try your request again by refreshing the page.

If you require further assistance please call Membership Rewards Customer Service at 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276). CODE: CIDC-005
But I managed to fix it for myself by "linking" my BA Avios account to my Amex MR account online first.

Last edited by nigelloring; Sep 4, 2012 at 11:21 am
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:18 pm

Need... Delta... bonus! Ugh! I'd risk it on BA if they allowed more than 1 connection on AA.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL NWA UA
30 / 40 /50%

Here's what BA has done in the past. Looks like at least once per year, somewhere between 30 and 50...

Past history: May 2012 50% http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...BONUS+TRANSFER

July 2011 50% http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...h-airways.html

December 2010 30% http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...31-2010-a.html

Last edited by FL2009; Sep 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm Reason: documented past history of BA xfer bonuses
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by FL2009
Here's what BA has done in the past. Looks like at least once per year, somewhere between 30 and 50...

Past history: May 2012 50% http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...BONUS+TRANSFER

July 2011 50% http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...h-airways.html

Are these ever available to the UK?

December 2010 30% http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...31-2010-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.