Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

40% bonus on transfer of MR (USA) to BA thru 9/27/2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

40% bonus on transfer of MR (USA) to BA thru 9/27/2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:13 am

I see the 40% bonus in my membership rewards account and just transferred 61k MR points.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:34 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by speedpro50
just transferred 61k MR points.
How many posted to your BAEC account?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: AA,Platinum AmEx, SPG Gold,WN CP
I just transferred 105k MR and 147k BA posted instantly to my account^
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by normandy7
I just transferred 105k MR and 147k BA posted instantly to my account^
Just tried again and it worked fine. Guess it was still updating and I was just too impatient.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:01 pm

What's the advantage of BA points? I heard fuel surcharges were absurd.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:10 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Originally Posted by standingoten
What's the advantage of BA points?
The best place to research this topic is in the British Airways forum. If you use the points to redeem for a flight from the USA to Europe the fuel surcharges plus taxes will approach the cost of a discounted economy class fare. However, if you use the points for travel (for example) within the USA on flights operated by AA or AS, or to travel from London to points in Europe there is substantial value.

Begin with this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...urcharges.html
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:08 pm

i get this message

We apologize for the inconvenience, the system is currently unavailable. Please try your request again by refreshing the page.

If you require further assistance please call Membership Rewards Customer Service at 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276).
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:06 pm

so the offer was better last time than this round?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Has anyone read on any of these blogs that a Delta offer similar may be coming. I have been waiting so long since the last one I was about to cancel Amex but now will wait another month and see.

BA and Virgin I have no involvement with so I don't know if I want to park any miles there.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:17 pm

No bonus for Canada, unlike last time ;(
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, AC, BA, CX, DL, SPG, Fairmont,
Originally Posted by yerffej201
No bonus for Canada, unlike last time ;(
They may just be too slow and will update us with the bonus offer in a few days...... Or not.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion
So what are the "taxes, fees and carrier charges" from the US to UK? Last time I booked an award ticket through Virgin the taxes & fees were nearly $1000 per ticket.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:40 pm
mia

Originally Posted by superior2112
Last time I booked an award ticket through Virgin the taxes & fees were nearly $1000 per ticket.
BA's fuel surcharges, fees and taxes are very similar to Virgin Atlantic's.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I may jump on this with my 80K MR points. LAX to Hawaii is my end goal...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by anchor79
so the offer was better last time than this round?
Amex have a habit of playing around with these offers in a way that can leave you feeling somewhat diddled. The first time that I'm aware of such an offer being made (in late 2010) it was for a 30% bonus. A couple of weeks after that offer expired, it came back at 40%. And a couple of weeks after *that* one expired, it came back at 50% (we are now talking mid 2011 -- these offers each lasted a couple of months or so, rather than just the 1 month as with the current one). I, of course, stupidly jumped for the 30% offer and went and transferred the bulk of my accumulated MRs at that rate .
Then in late 2011 they did it again: 30%, almost immediately reintroduced at 40%, and then again (by around April/May this year) at 50%. This time I steeled my nerves and held out for the 50% offer.
Are we in for the same thing again? Who knows........ But what's the point of this mucking about, setting up an artificially manipulated "gambling" environment for your customers in this, by and large (regardless of whether you "win" or "lose"), unsatisfactory way?

Last edited by husseinbadr; Aug 30, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.