Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: HA only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: HA only

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:43 pm

Data point:
On December 11, 2023, I bought a main cabin refundable flight with no initial seat selection for $788.00. The transaction description is "HAWAIIAN AIRLINES HOHONOLULU" along with itinerary airports.
In separate transactions, I bought seats for each flight for $88.00 and $95.00. The transaction description is again "HAWAIIAN AIRLINES HOHONOLULU" but the additional details are "
Misc. Charge Order (Mco)/Prepaid Ticket Auth."

I received automatic reimbursement on December 20, 2023 for each seat transaction:
-$88.00
-$97.00
747FC likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:00 pm

I am seeing tons of inter-island tickets for $50 now. I seen data points where the reimbursement will not trigger for tickets over $50. I was wonder would the reimbursement trigger at exactly $50?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:02 pm

Premium airport experience

Any thoughts if their new Premium Airport Experience would trigger the credit?
747FC likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by aleeg
I am seeing tons of inter-island tickets for $50 now. I seen data points where the reimbursement will not trigger for tickets over $50. I was wonder would the reimbursement trigger at exactly $50?
I do not know, but most of these fares actually appear to be $49.60, so the OTAs and HA website will generally just display the rounded up price of $50, even though the charge to your card will be under $50.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by chaychay
can you explain your strategy? Haha I’m confused. You book a dummy international flight for the Amex refund and then cancel and use the credit elsewhere?
Aloha ChayChay. I am so sorry that I did not see your 12/31/23 post. I just saw it now.. Because you helped me, I thought that you understood the strategy. I'll explain it here for you and anyone else who selected HA for airline incidental credits for 2024. First and best strategy is to buy one-way inter-island tickets that you can use for less than $50. This is happening now for Hawaiian's flights that match the time of Southwest's flights. Those flight fares will be automatically credited back as long as the fare is less than $50. If you can't use the ticket, you can get a flight certificate from HA that must be used within a year of the booking date.

There were no under $50 flights in December 2023. I bought 4 HNL-SYD coach award tickets for four family members and paid $57 for the tax per person on my Plat card with a date of March 2024. At the time, I had $107 of unused credit in my account. I will cancel the flight shortly, and the miles will be returned to my account. I'm just not sure if I can refund the tax as a credit back to my Amex Plat card without Amex clawing the $100+ back. This trick can only be used with people with HA miles or who are willing to transfer MR miles to HA. Because we have so much of the year left, you can transfer enough miles for one flight, then cancel it, and reuse this idea (and the miles) repeatedly across the year to use up all your airline credit.

QUESTION: Has anyone ever refunded the tax to their Amex Plat card and had or not had the money clawed back later? Thanks so much for commenting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.