Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: HA only

Old May 18, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: HA only

Old Dec 6, 2023, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by chaychay
Hi all wanted to give some credit update/insight from my experience since no one has posted about HA in awhile. I used points to book two business class tickets and (as usual) was required to pay the taxes in cash. They were two seats for $25 of taxes each. I was surprised when a week or two later Amex credited me the taxes (since i read somewhere that's against the terms and i wasn't expecting it). This was November 2023. With the end of the year coming up, i was then trying to find new ways to use my remaining credits. I bought a random $49 interisland flight with plans to change the ticket at a later date to a trip i actually want to go on. One week later the $49 credit posted. I also just today bought a HA gift card and despite earlier comments on this forum, it did allow me to pay with amex on the website. I bought the minimum size gift card of $50. Will see if that credit posts, but even if not, ill use the gift card on future travels. I'm trying to think of other ideas, since every time i leave hawaii i fly business so i would not incur incidentals. Hope that helps you guys and good luck
Thank you so much for posting this! I was just about to give up on HA but I look forward to hearing if the $50 Gift card will post for ya!

Last edited by huaandy29; Dec 7, 2023 at 2:05 am Reason: Quote
Old Dec 7, 2023, 3:18 pm

Changed flight

Yesterday I called in to change a flight and paid $75 as it was more expensive. Will see if my $50 Aspire credit works on it next week.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
What was the routing for your business award ticket? I could only find $6 taxes for fa light from Hawaii to Japan. I thought the taxes would be higher on an international flight. It would be worth my doing this for $25 per ticket rather than $6. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide since I only have 2 weeks left to try to use up $110 in remaining airline incidental credits.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Zippz
Yesterday I called in to change a flight and paid $75 as it was more expensive. Will see if my $50 Aspire credit works on it next week.
$50 credit went through.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I bought a random $49 interisland flight with plans to change the ticket at a later date to a trip i actually want to go on. One week later the $49 credit posted.
I have been trying to find a $49 interisland flight, but the cheapest I saw was $55. I understand that the ticket has to be under $50 for the reimbrsement to work. What was the date you used?

Does anyone know if there a month long calendar feature to show all of the cheapest fares by month? I had just been trying differnet random dates.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 2:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Richard1148
I have been trying to find a $49 interisland flight, but the cheapest I saw was $55. I understand that the ticket has to be under $50 for the reimbrsement to work. What was the date you used?

Does anyone know if there a month long calendar feature to show all of the cheapest fares by month? I had just been trying differnet random dates.
I didn't see a month long calendar but I was able to see the lowest fare for a week at a time. At this point, I think the only way we will see a fare drop below $55 is if Southwest offers a bargain fare and Hawaiian matches it. But we have so little time for that to happen.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I understand that the ticket has to be under $50 for the reimbrsement to work.
Are you referring to the aspire/surpass credit? Ticket doesn't have to be under $50
Old Dec 22, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Zippz
Are you referring to the aspire/surpass credit? Ticket doesn't have to be under $50
I am referring to the annual $200 incidental fee credit, which is still in effect until the end of the year. I have barely used any of it and was hoping to get something in before December 31.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by konaflyer
I didn't see a month long calendar but I was able to see the lowest fare for a week at a time. At this point, I think the only way we will see a fare drop below $55 is if Southwest offers a bargain fare and Hawaiian matches it. But we have so little time for that to happen.
Yea, I think I am SOL, but on the plus side, I did get my $50 quarterly airline benefit for this quarter.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 12:34 pm

Gift card didnt work for HA credit

Originally Posted by huaandy29
Thank you so much for posting this! I was just about to give up on HA but I look forward to hearing if the $50 Gift card will post for ya!
hi just wanted to give the update that my $50 gift card did not trigger the credit
Old Dec 23, 2023, 4:38 pm

Hi all wanted to give some credit update/insight from my experience since no one has posted about HA in awhile. I used points to book two business class tickets and (as usual) was required to pay the taxes in cash. They were two seats for $25 of taxes each. I was surprised when a week or two later Amex credited me the taxes (since i read somewhere that's against the terms and i wasn't expecting it). This was November 2023. With the end of the year coming up, i was then trying to find new ways to use my remaining credits. I bought a random $49 interisland flight with plans to change the ticket at a later date to a trip i actually want to go on. One week later the $49 credit posted. I also just today bought a HA gift card and despite earlier comments on this forum, it did allow me to pay with amex on the website. I bought the minimum size gift card of $50. Will see if that credit posts, but even if not, ill use the gift card on future travels. I'm trying to think of other ideas, since every time i leave hawaii i fly business so i would not incur incidentals. Hope that helps you guys and good luck
Aloha Chaychay, I have been trying to use up my $107 of HA airline incidental credit. Unfortunately, the inter island fares I've been seeing have been for $55 so it won't trigger the credit (since it has to be below $50. What award routing did you book in Business Class that had a $25 tax on it? I thought maybe it was an international routing, but when I checked on the tax on a ticket to Japan, I only saw $5.60. I hope that you can spare a bit of time to reply since I only have a short period of time until the end of the year. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 5:53 pm

Aloha Chaychay, I have been trying to use up my $107 of HA airline incidental credit. Unfortunately, the inter island fares I've been seeing have been for $55 so it won't trigger the credit (since it has to be below $50. What award routing did you book in Business Class that had a $25 tax on it? I thought maybe it was an international routing, but when I checked on the tax on a ticket to Japan, I only saw $5.60. I hope that you can spare a bit of time to reply since I only have a short period of time until the end of the year. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
hi! I booked HNL to ITO for 1/18/24 about a month or two ago when the fares were $49. Looking at some random dates for you, all I see is $55 and above for 2024 on HA now. Im in the same boat as you, even with my $49 credit for this fare, I still only used $129 of my Amex credits this year. Ive run out of other ideas. The $55 flight is untested but could could work but Im not sure Im willing to risk booking another fake flight and having it not reimbursed. I would try to keep looking (search random Tuesdays for flights between nearby islands) and maybe we can get some price drops before year end. Now we know not to select HA as our carrier for 2024 :/
Old Dec 23, 2023, 5:56 pm

to reply to your second question, I booked HNL to SYD business class tickets. I got a crazy low fare of 65K miles per seat (transferred Amex points to Hawaiian and booked direct with points) and then $25 of tax in cash. The taxes were reimbursed by Amex
Old Dec 29, 2023, 5:38 pm

Thanks, Chay Chay!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me about how you got a routing with $25 tax on an award ticket. I was able to book 4 people on award flights from HNL to SYD in coach with $27 tax on each ticket. That will give me enough airline incidental credit to use up the remaining $107!!! YAY, all thanks to you. The great part is that the tax is the same for coach as it is for business so I didn't have to temporarily use more than 35,000 miles per award ticket. The business tickets are really expensive mileage-wise.

You could follow the same thing I did except that I had a lot of Hawaiian points in my account. It sounds like you need to transfer MR points to Hawaiian miles to book the tickets. It still may be worth it to transfer 70K pts for 2 tickets & use up half of your unused airline incidental money. And you could transfer more MR points if you can use Hawaiian miles in the future. I would definitely not buy a $55 inter island ticket because that will not trigger the incidental credit. I hope this info helps you like you helped me!!! Happy Holidays & all the best in the New Year!
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:49 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me about how you got a routing with $25 tax on an award ticket. I was able to book 4 people on award flights from HNL to SYD in coach with $27 tax on each ticket. That will give me enough airline incidental credit to use up the remaining $107!!! YAY, all thanks to you. The great part is that the tax is the same for coach as it is for business so I didn't have to temporarily use more than 35,000 miles per award ticket. The business tickets are really expensive mileage-wise.

You could follow the same thing I did except that I had a lot of Hawaiian points in my account. It sounds like you need to transfer MR points to Hawaiian miles to book the tickets. It still may be worth it to transfer 70K pts for 2 tickets & use up half of your unused airline incidental money. And you could transfer more MR points if you can use Hawaiian miles in the future. I would definitely not buy a $55 inter island ticket because that will not trigger the incidental credit. I hope this info helps you like you helped me!!! Happy Holidays & all the best in the New Year!
can you explain your strategy? Haha Im confused. You book a dummy international flight for the Amex refund and then cancel and use the credit elsewhere?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.