Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Ramscct5
Anyone knows if transactions over the weekend take longer to post than on a weekday?
I wanna purchase and cancel flight before the 24 hrs but afraid it won’t post since it’ll take an extra day or two due the weekend
Originally Posted by Ramscct5
Purchased 4x under 100 dollars tickets and cancelled under 24 hours. SW credited the amounts back to the credit card instead of taking the charge back and Amex reimbursed me two days later. hope they don’t claw it back, any DPs in this?
What you are doing is fraudulent and AmEx has every right to claw back the credit. Do you even fly on WN?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Please note if you cancel within 24 hours, for most airlines, you will almost always get a full refund due to the 24 hour rule. So yes...you will not get the airline credit and refund.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:31 pm

So could I purchase a flight (wanna get away fare) for under $100, wait for the charge to post (past the 24 hour mark), and then cancel the ticket to get Southwest credit for a future flight?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
So could I purchase a flight (wanna get away fare) for under $100, wait for the charge to post (past the 24 hour mark), and then cancel the ticket to get Southwest credit for a future flight?
Bingo!
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:56 pm

Ymmv but lots of dp of it working so far.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by soldja
Bingo!

Any restrictions on being logged into my account or not?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
What you are doing is fraudulent and AmEx has every right to claw back the credit. Do you even fly on WN?
Agreed, there is a difference between utilizing loopholes to maximize benefits and abusing loopholes.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:03 pm

Any restrictions on being logged into my account or not?
Post 2271 states not being logged in applied to the now gc method not the purchase of flights.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by jmfflyer
I took a slightly more complex approach to end up with one $200 voucher.
  1. Selected Southwest as my airline on my amex platinum card.
  2. Booked a $103.98 ticket.
  3. Waited for charge to post and amex credit counter to go down.
  4. Cancelled the flight and got a travel voucher.
  5. Booked a new flight for $200 and split the payment between my platinum card and the travel voucher from step 4. Because I used the travel voucher the new charge to the amex card was $96.
  6. Waited for the new charge to post and amex credit counter to go down to 0
  7. Canceled the new ticket and I ended up with a $200 travel voucher.
how did you get a voucher instead of going to travel fund?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by serge28
how did you get a voucher instead of going to travel fund?
WN doesn't issue LUV vouchers for cancelled tickets, just electronic Residual Travel Funds tied to the pax name. If after one year the Travel Funds expire, WN may re-issue the Travel Funds as a LUV Voucher for a cost of $100.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by tcATL
Purchased one-way for 2 passengers for $99 each on a single record locator on 10/2. Shows as pending for the total amount
of $198. Will update on reimbursement once charge posts.

Maybe Col Custer can lead the charge to the roundup on this new data point.
Do any other airlines reimburse on tickets NOT using GC on partial purchase to cover only fees?

Here is the posts from a FB page on Amex Plat benefits on WN:

"Flights UNDER $100 on Southwest are still triggering the airline credit .
This is the second time this month that this has happened for me."

Edit Quote Multi Quote Quick Reply

Reply Subscribed

Last edited by euromannn; Oct 25, 2019 at 12:56 am
Old Oct 25, 2019, 3:32 pm

Quick question, sorry if it has been answered on here or not.

Say I bought a really cheap Southwest ticket for like $49, and decided to switch it to another ticket/route. Would Amex cover the switching of that ticket with the travel credit?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by bearsfan654
Say I bought a really cheap Southwest ticket for like $49, and decided to switch it to another ticket/route. Would Amex cover the switching of that ticket with the travel credit?
WN does not charge fees to change flights. If the new ticket is higher priced you may need to apply the $49 Residual Travel Fund and keep the new ticket price difference under $105 (new total under $154) for the additional AmEx credit to work. It's like buying a new ticket using a $49 GC to get the amount owed under $105. You might have the first DP on this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
It's not fraudulent, it's against their intended use. I would feel much more "ethical" about finding loopholes in their program if they didn't have this total BS rule where I have to choose one airline once a year and stick with it. It's clearly designed for the purposes of advertising an awesome benefit which has low likelihood of being fully utilized by the customers.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by DjRocket
It's not fraudulent, it's against their intended use. I would feel much more "ethical" about finding loopholes in their program if they didn't have this total BS rule where I have to choose one airline once a year and stick with it. It's clearly designed for the purposes of advertising an awesome benefit which has low likelihood of being fully utilized by the customers.
It’s not even expressly prohibited by Amex’s terms and conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.