Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:50 am

I have WN giftcards (100 + 100 + 50) post on 20th June and reimbursed on 22nd June (Amex aspire)
Purchased the same amounts on wife's Aspire, posted on 25th June but no reimbursement yet.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:06 pm

Purchased $50 with Hilton Aspire on 6/27, posted a day or two later with "Document Type: SPD/Air Freight". No reimbursement yet.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by kalcium
Purchased $50 with Hilton Aspire on 6/27, posted a day or two later with "Document Type: SPD/Air Freight". No reimbursement yet.
if credit is issued, then post; otherwise, the assumption is that it's no longer
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by ksingh0311
I think now it’s becoming more and more clear - the wiki above needs to be updated to reflect that reimbursement is in trouble.
I now have to find a purpose for $250 next year, I may make it rain early birds on my 2 annual swa flights.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:20 pm

So what can you actually use this credit for on southwest? Given that "bags fly free"? Is there anything you can buy in-air that would show up as an incidental charge?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dezcutit
So what can you actually use this credit for on southwest? Given that "bags fly free"? Is there anything you can buy in-air that would show up as an incidental charge?
Only thing I can think of is early bird boarding - worth something I guess?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:46 pm

I’m still hoping against hope that this all is just a temporary glitch and it will all be ok this month.
B3nder, IndyHoosier and osmantrex like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:15 pm

Any recent DP's of partial airfare charges triggering the credit, like on DL?

Last edited by 808traveler; Jul 1, 2019 at 11:21 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: WN CP; Hilton Diamond; IHG Plat
-I have Amex Aspire
-Southwest is designated as my airline
-Purchased 2 SW Gift Cards through the link in the first post (not logged into SW Account) - https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html
-$250 on 6/11
-$50 on 6/25
-Neither credit has posted, and the meter still says $250

As far as I can tell, neither of these are coded as "Spd/Air Freight " (though I'm not exactly sure where to check this). Is there another step that I've missed?

Last edited by IndigoEyes; Jul 2, 2019 at 6:49 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by dezcutit
lol, get urself & companion a few beers, mix drinks
Originally Posted by IndigoEyes
-I have Amex Aspire
-Southwest is designated as my airline
-Purchased 2 SW Gift Cards through the link in the first post (not logged into SW Account) - https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html
-$250 on 6/11
-$50 on 6/25
-Neither credit has posted, and the meter still says $250

As far as I can tell, neither of these are coded as "Spd/Air Freight " (though I'm not exactly sure where to check this). Is there another step that I've missed?
mine & few others had it coded with 'Spd/Air Freight', but nada
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by 808traveler
Any recent DP's of partial airfare charges triggering the credit, like on DL?
Yes a Delta award ticket fee of $5.60 on 6/28 triggered the credit on two days later
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS Gold 75k, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold
I'm new to AMEX, but would like to give my info... I just got both the Gold card and Plat card (huge sign up bonuses). I selected WN as my airline on the 6/22. I waited a couple of days before making a $50 GC purchase, charge posted on 6/26. I was stupid and didn't read this thread first, but I LOGGED into my WN account to complete the purchase. I don't have any credits posted, but the interesting I noted is that in the MR points category is classified as airfare and gave me 150MR points (3x$50). The charges coded as SPD/Air Freight. Is that normal under the MR points section, to have it coded as airfare and earn 3x points (AMEX Gold)?

I just made another $25 GC purchase (not logged into my WN account) to see if a smaller amount will trigger it, will comment back in a couple of days, if anything happens.

Tried to post a screenshot but I guess I can't until I make 5 posts...

Last edited by edkwan88; Jul 2, 2019 at 10:35 am Reason: Adding clarification..
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by edkwan88
I'm new to AMEX, but would like to give my info... I just got both the Gold card and Plat card (huge sign up bonuses). I selected WN as my airline on the 6/22. I waited a couple of days before making a $50 GC purchase, charge posted on 6/26. I was stupid and didn't read this thread first, but I LOGGED into my WN account to complete the purchase. I don't have any credits posted, but the interesting I noted is that in the MR points category is classified as airfare and gave me 150MR points (3x$50). The charges coded as SPD/Air Freight. Is that normal under the MR points section, to have it coded as airfare and earn 3x points (AMEX Gold)?

I just made another $25 GC purchase (not logged into my WN account) to see if a smaller amount will trigger it, will comment back in a couple of days, if anything happens.

Tried to post a screenshot but I guess I can't until I make 5 posts...
it's normal; just that the charges now not got reimbursed is not normal...lol
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
So angry with myself. Procrastinated not using these credits back in January like I normally did every other year. Now, I've got $200 of credit with WN trapped on my Plat and $250 with AA trapped on my Aspire. I had my suspicions that soon after AA fell out back in Feb that Amex would close the loopholes allowing these GCs to slip through. Stupid me I did not plunge on my WN credit.

That has to be what is behind this- Amex working with the Airlines to ensure level 2 & 3 Data is captured accurately, and Amex adjusting their algorithms to filter these transactions out as non-reimbursable.
msk6261 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4
So angry with myself. Procrastinated not using these credits back in January like I normally did every other year. Now, I've got $200 of credit with WN trapped on my Plat and $250 with AA trapped on my Aspire. I had my suspicions that soon after AA fell out back in Feb that Amex would close the loopholes allowing these GCs to slip through. Stupid me I did not plunge on my WN credit.

That has to be what is behind this- Amex working with the Airlines to ensure level 2 & 3 Data is captured accurately, and Amex adjusting their algorithms to filter these transactions out as non-reimbursable.
Same here. I’m losing $200 on my Plat which I was stupid for not tapping up earlier this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.