Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Yu Zhong
DP: 6/14 purchased 2 tickets one $44 and one $54
6/21 both credited
Did Alaska charge you $125 cancellation fee? Or ware you a MVP Gold / Gold 75K so the fee was waived?
crimsona likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by robchow
Did Alaska charge you $125 cancellation fee? Or ware you a MVP Gold / Gold 75K so the fee was waived?
I have MVP Gold so the fee is waived, another DP 6/23 bought 4 tickets between 40 and 60, all reimbursed on 6/28.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by makeitmasey1
Just booked tickets to Maui in September, and i haven't used my Amex Platinum travel credit yet. Anyone recently use upgrade their seats to premium seats and get the credit back? its $99 per ticket so i am hesitant to pull the trigger unless someone has recently had success. Let me know! thanks guys
I know that this is in response to a month old post, but I just received reimbursement for a $69 upgrade to premium economy. Upgrade was purchased on the July 3rd and reimbursement was paid on July 7th.
LIH Prem and pcoll like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by econjon
I have been scouring AS for a refundable flight under $100 to no avail....But I think I might have just thought of a workaround. I am testing it now and will share full details at conclusion of experiment. See you in 72 hours...
what was the result of your experiment? Wondering what workaround you attempted and how did it go?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
The whole "book a flight under $100 and cancel for wallet credit" worked fine for me (caveat: I have AS MVPG status so no change/cancellation fee). Booked two one way flights SFO-LAS for ~$98 each. Waited 24 hours for the free cancellation period to pass and then was able to cancel on the AS website for wallet credit. Prior to the 24 hour period passing I was only given the option of full refund or email the ticket number for value on a future flight. That was going to be too complicated for me to keep track of so I ended up waiting another day in order to receive the AS wallet credit option. Charge was on 8/1 (posted 8/3) and then the Amex credits posted without any issue on 8/4.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Booked $83 ticket 8/15. Reimbursed three days later.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Booked 4 sub $60 8/20, posted 8/23, reimbursed this morning.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
This approach does take some planning. 24 hours is not bad. It does make last minute decisions more difficult.
Yup so it's really a toss up and would be better for flights that are booked further in advance to avoid price changes. The time I tried it in June worked out:

Jun 11 purchased $250 GC for a $341.50 flight
Jun 12 made booking ($91.20 paid on Plat)
Jun 15 credited $91.20.

I tried to do it again for a SFO-SEA flight in July but the price went up the next day unfortunately by $75-100, and other airlines were still at the same price. Now I have a $150 Alaska GC unused. Definitely regret choosing AS as my airline this year, SW was a lot easier..
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by aimango
Yup so it's really a toss up and would be better for flights that are booked further in advance to avoid price changes. The time I tried it in June worked out:

Jun 11 purchased $250 GC for a $341.50 flight
Jun 12 made booking ($91.20 paid on Plat)
Jun 15 credited $91.20.

I tried to do it again for a SFO-SEA flight in July but the price went up the next day unfortunately by $75-100, and other airlines were still at the same price. Now I have a $150 Alaska GC unused. Definitely regret choosing AS as my airline this year, SW was a lot easier..
Got about 4 months to go before picking an airline for AMEX credit. With the recent change fee implemented (not advantages to put credit into Wallet), are others planning to change their airline of choice? Question mainly for those that are not MVP Gold and above but you (MVP Gold and above) can weigh in as well.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Got about 4 months to go before picking an airline for AMEX credit. With the recent change fee implemented (not advantages to put credit into Wallet), are others planning to change their airline of choice? Question mainly for those that are not MVP Gold and above but you (MVP Gold and above) can weigh in as well.
If I decide not to maintain MVP Gold, I will definitely change to AA or DL (depending on what the reimbursement situation is like next year). Or cancel the plat card.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:59 pm

You mean to change it during the calendar year even though I already used 45% of it? Thought you could only do that if you've never used any of it?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
Fare less Alaska wallet funds was $95. Refund posted in three days.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by aimango
You mean to change it during the calendar year even though I already used 45% of it? Thought you could only do that if you've never used any of it?
I meant 4 months until January when one can pick a new airline.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:14 pm

AS is by far the easiest for reimbursement. Not sure why everyone is fretting about the change fees when canceling. You don't need to keep your Alaska booking until the credit posts and when the change fee applies. You can cancel your ticket within the 24HR window for a full refund from Alaska and the Amex credit will still post.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by krk3561
....cancel your ticket within the 24HR window for a full refund from Alaska and the Amex credit will still post.
This is different from earlier reports. If you cancel the purchase within 24 hours, the pending card transaction never posts, and the credit would not be triggered. What has changed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.