Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by weaseltown
Unfortunately per Alaska's earnings call today it looks like they'll soon eliminate their policy of offering free changes / cancellations outside 60 days of travel. This would significantly impact Platinum Card users relying on this technique unless those card members qualify for free changes / cancellations through their Alaska MVP status.

More info at OMAAT and the Alaska forum.
Update: Alaska Airlines has now announced this as official policy for tickets purchased on or after June 5, 2018. There are some limited exceptions, but generally speaking changes / cancellations now incur a $125 fee.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS
OH CRAP. It is such a shame AS has made this decision. Just because they paid too much for VX, IMHO. Will probably change airline for AmEx going forward.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by pcoll

I am confused . I thought only one discount code per purchase. Unless poster is referring to Wallet Funds? Perhaps AS has changed rules for applying DC?
My original post was unclear. Clarification: I had multiple issues on a previous flight. As an additional issue, when Customer Service responded, they said something like "Use the Discount Code included below", and then proceeded to fail to actually include the Discount Code in the message. When I responded and pointed this out, they admitted their fault, and rolled an additional discount into one larger Discount Code covering the original issues plus their failure to include the Discount Code properly in their first response.

Anyway, moral of the story is that I was not expecting any of my Amex Platinum travel credit to be applied to a ticket that cost $100.40, but I was (pleasantly) incorrect.

Last edited by Finagler; May 9, 2018 at 6:55 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 9:09 pm

So the only option in future is to be MVP Gold or find fully refundable fares for less than $100?
Old May 9, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thetheaterimp
So the only option in future is to be MVP Gold or find fully refundable fares for less than $100?
See post 584
Old May 9, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by thetheaterimp
Or buy gift cards, then apply the gift cards to reservations where the remaining payment due is less than $100.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Alaska Air
New Hilton Honors Aspire $250 Credit and Alaska Airlines

Hi everyone,

I've read through a number of posts and am getting conflicting information on what does/does not work, I appreciate your responses.

I recently signed up for the Hilton Honors Aspire Card which offers a $250 annual credit for airline fee's:
  • $250 Annual Airline Fee Credit — Exactly like with the Amex Platinum card airline fee credits, you need to select an airline of your choice to receive $250 in statement credits for incidentals from that airline placed on your card account, including from authorized users.
What I'm having a hard time surmising is whether I'll be able to utilize a few methods others have tried (both successfully and unsuccsefully) so anyone with recent attemps at this would be great to hear how best to do this.

If I were to buy 5 $50 alaska air gift certificates, would this work and I'd see the statement credits applied?

If not, how best should i go about utilizing the credit? If I am able to utilize the credit for flights from LAX To SFO or LAX To NV
Old May 10, 2018, 9:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by robcrees

If I were to buy 5 $50 alaska air gift certificates, would this work and I'd see the statement credits applied?
No. At the top of many Flyertalk threads there is a summary area called a Wikipost. HERE is a direct link to the Wikipost for this thread. Notice the red text mentioning that gift certificate purchases have not been reimbursed since June 2017.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by robcrees
If not, how best should i go about utilizing the credit? If I am able to utilize the credit for flights from LAX To SFO or LAX To NV
Welcome to FT!

Refer to the post directly about yours. For example, for a $95 flight LAX to SFO, buy a ~$50 gift card (with any card) and apply that gift card towards the flight. Pay the $45 balance with your Amex card and based on DPs, the $45 charge will be reimbursed. Flights less than ~$60 seem to be reimbursed.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:56 am

Bought 2x SFO-LAX in Oct on 6 May for $96.40

It posted as two transactions and the fee credit posted 11 May. Canceled and now got the money in My Wallet.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:09 pm

well with the AS changes coming next month, it seems like the 60+ day cancellation trick won't work any more.

I'm applying for the plat card today and should get it squeezed in just in time before the new AS changes go into effect.
Old May 11, 2018, 3:35 pm

Another DP: I canceled a flight within 60d this month and charged the $125 fee to my Plat. There was no reimbursement.

It seems like Premium Class upgrades, tickets, and fees all code as "ALASKA AIRLINES ALASKAAIR.COM WA"

There must be a limit at something <$125 where Amex considers it a "fee" and above that threshold it assumes "ticket."
Old May 12, 2018, 10:16 am

So does Amex Aspire work for AS for tickets under $75?
Old May 12, 2018, 5:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
So does Amex Aspire work...
Near as I can tell Platinum, Premier Rewards Gold and Aspire use the identical reimbursement mechanism, only the amount is different.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:24 pm

With the change fee coming into effect, the only way this will work for Alaska Airlines is if we book a refundable ticket under $100.

But I can't seem to find any route on the alaska network where a refundable ticket will be that cheap Any ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.