Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FTA
or how about paid upgrade for an award ticket?
Not sure about the award upgrade, but can confirm GR funds can't be used to upgrade a paid ticket. Put $25 in my registry and when I went through the upgrade process, there was no option on payment screen, like there was during the initial purchase, to use the registry funds.

Last edited by shaw1974; Sep 20, 2015 at 10:45 pm
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
We're now just about one month since the last successful refund charge. Has anybody reported a successful refund since then of a 'legit' item... e.g. BoB food purchase?

From what I can tell reading the various airline threads, nobody has yet, which is leading me to think we're just delayed for some reason. But maybe no FTers buy food on board.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by dordal
We're now just about one month since the last successful refund charge. Has anybody reported a successful refund since then of a 'legit' item... e.g. BoB food purchase?

From what I can tell reading the various airline threads, nobody has yet, which is leading me to think we're just delayed for some reason. But maybe no FTers buy food on board.
I have a $300 date change charge which I presume is a legit charge. This charge hit my account on 9/18. Will report back when $200 is credited back.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:56 pm

Are airline taxes and fees for award tickets eligible for the $200 reimbursement?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dordal

There have been a few recent reports of AA GCs being reimbursed in the last few days, so that appears to be a very positive sign and hopefully UA will follow shortly.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:54 am

How long are you guys planning to wait before cancelling card ? I am guessing atleast till you get the 100k points.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by happyharrys
How long are you guys planning to wait before cancelling card ? I am guessing atleast till you get the 100k points.
that's a must, haha; then to make sure won't lose them after cancelling
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:16 pm

Can someone help me out since I'm new to this. I just wanted to try my luck.

I enrolled for UA on my Amex Plat and I decided to buy a $50 GC on MPX. But it shows up as

MILEAGEPLUS X
233 S WACKER DR
STE 430
CHICAGO
IL
60606-6462
UNITED STATES
Category: Travel - Airline

Did they close the MPX loop hole or did I mess up some how?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:26 pm

This is what it looks like. Credits have been sloooow to a point where it's uncertain if this will get a credit or not.

At this point you just have to sit back and wait.

Originally Posted by shinne
Can someone help me out since I'm new to this. I just wanted to try my luck.

I enrolled for UA on my Amex Plat and I decided to buy a $50 GC on MPX. But it shows up as

MILEAGEPLUS X
233 S WACKER DR
STE 430
CHICAGO
IL
60606-6462
UNITED STATES

Did they close the MPX loop hole or did I mess up some how?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:34 pm

I'm okay with that. It seems like people are getting their credit slowly. I just got back my Global Entry credit.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:20 pm

UNITED AIRLINES
600 JEFFERSON STREET
DEPT HQJ-CM
HOUSTON
TX
77002-7363
UNITED STATES
Additional Information: UNITED AIRLINES
Reference: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Dispute/Inquire about this Charge

Flight Details
N/A TO REGGIO CALABRIA
Ticket Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Passenger Name: XXXXX\GAD DEPOSIT
Document Type: SPECIAL SERVICE TICKET

Here is my unrefunded GR posting from Sept 1st. I don't see anything different from previous refunded postings. While it's nerve racking to see previous refunds coming within a few days, they don't seemed to have changed the way these items are coded.

One odd thing is the flight details of N/A to Reggio Calabria. IDK where that came from.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HolyTiger
UNITED AIRLINES
600 JEFFERSON STREET
DEPT HQJ-CM
HOUSTON
TX
77002-7363
UNITED STATES
Additional Information: UNITED AIRLINES
Reference: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Dispute/Inquire about this Charge

Flight Details
N/A TO REGGIO CALABRIA
Ticket Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Passenger Name: XXXXX\GAD DEPOSIT
Document Type: SPECIAL SERVICE TICKET

Here is my unrefunded GR posting from Sept 1st. I don't see anything different from previous refunded postings. While it's nerve racking to see previous refunds coming within a few days, they don't seemed to have changed the way these items are coded.

One odd thing is the flight details of N/A to Reggio Calabria. IDK where that came from.
My wife's late August unreimbursed charge is posted the same way.

Has anyone tried to call? At some point, it would seem like that's worth a try. I recall that the official rules give them several weeks to reimburse.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:34 am

I chatted with one of the reps yesterday just asking general questions about reimbursement, acting inexperienced and confused. She said the policy has always been four weeks for reimbursement and that i should call/chat once that date passes if there are still problems.

One thing i am doing, is splitting my charges into smaller figures that match actual united fees, which should work until they start asking to see the receipts...and at that point bye bye Amex.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
My wife's late August unreimbursed charge is posted the same way.

Has anyone tried to call? At some point, it would seem like that's worth a try. I recall that the official rules give them several weeks to reimburse.
Its too premature to call, its best to wait it out as it can take up to a few weeks to reimburse as you stated.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:32 pm

Had a $75 GR from late August, it's been over 4 weeks, did a simple chat and she said she would manually issue the credit, would just take a couple more days to hit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.