FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Tricks to become "targeted" by AMEX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1299579-tricks-become-targeted-amex.html)

ILuvParis Jul 25, 2014 5:31 pm

I've had a Green card for years. I've not used it much in recent years, mostly at Costco, so I never saw a need to upgrade. However, when I got the email telling me that if I upgraded to Gold Rewards, spent $1000 over the first three months, the first year's fee would be waived and I would get 50K bonus points, I bit. Why I was targeted is anyone's guess. Maybe 20+ years of saying no is what did it. :D

I was very impressed in that the very next day after I had spent $1000, my 50K bonus points were credited. Very surprising, given how cheap they are with their "pending" points silliness.

Totoro Jul 26, 2014 6:26 am

I can't add much to becoming "targeted" by AMEX, but I can report that ignoring a decent new account bonus may result in receiving a better offer.

I previously received 15,000 MR points AMEX Everyday new account bonus offer for which I planned to apply. Before I submitted my application, I received 25,000 MR points AMEX Everyday new account bonus offer! If you don't find your new account bonus offer rich enough, just wait for a better one.

CMHFlyerOH Aug 7, 2014 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000 (Post 22655300)
Hi folks, I know that that the current offer for the Amex Platinum Business Card is for 40,000 MR. However, it is pretty easy to get the 100,000MR offer over the phone. I have done it myself successfully, and have had two friends do it similarly and each also successfully, but YMMV nonetheless. Here are the steps that I took:

1. I called 1-800-971-6736, and chose option #1, "Apply for a new card"

The conversation then went like this:

Me: I would like to apply for the Platinum Business Card. However, a few months ago I got an offer that has since expired. I was wondering if I could still apply and get the bonus that was offered to me?

CSR: Let me see what I can do for you. Do you still have the RSVP code?

Me: No, but I remember the offer. It was for 100,000MR after spending at least $10,000 within the first three months

CSR: That should be no problem. As a courtesy I can extend you that same offer whereby you would get 100,000MR after spending $10,000 or more within the first three months.

At this juncture I applied, as did my two friends. I would note that my friends had never received the special offer, and that they had previously had the Platinum Biz Card (cancelled 13-14 months ago in their case).

The courtesy offer from the CSR is also not tied somehow to your phone number, as I did a subsequent trial run anonymising (*67-ing) my number and giving a fictitious name.

In other words, I believe anybody should be able to call up and get this offer with relative ease. If you are waiting for an offer, and have had the card previously, I would suggest trying this method as come May 1st or whenever the once-a-lifetime-bonus-rule kicks-in, you may very well be SoL.

Happy application!

Thanks for posting this. I can confirm that I was able to get this same offer last week when I called in.

skisteven1 Aug 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH (Post 23326557)
Thanks for posting this. I can confirm that I was able to get this same offer last week when I called in.

I can confirm that this was available today (Aug 11, 2014) as well. I was approved instantly.

m3jasper Aug 11, 2014 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by skisteven1 (Post 23346317)
I can confirm that this was available today (Aug 11, 2014) as well. I was approved instantly.

+1

It took three tries but I finally got someone willing to extend the offer.

Thanks!

jchock1 Aug 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Worked perfectly for me today on the first try--the only AMEX card I have is a personal SPG. Thanks!!!

darrvao777 Aug 20, 2014 7:50 pm

What exactly do you guys mean by targeted? Flyers in the mail, an email?

AscorbylPalmitate Aug 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by darrvao777 (Post 23397885)
What exactly do you guys mean by targeted? Flyers in the mail, an email?

both, but usually regular mail.

bhsu21 Sep 1, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi folks, I know that that the current offer for the Amex Platinum Business Card is for 40,000 MR. However, it is pretty easy to get the 100,000MR offer over the phone. I have done it myself successfully, and have had two friends do it similarly and each also successfully, but YMMV nonetheless. Here are the steps that I took:

Me: I would like to apply for the Platinum Business Card. However, a few months ago I got an offer that has since expired. I was wondering if I could still apply and get the bonus that was offered to me?

Me: No, but I remember the offer. It was for 100,000MR after spending at least $10,000 within the first three months

CSR: That should be no problem. As a courtesy I can extend you that same offer whereby you would get 100,000MR after spending $10,000 or more within the first three months.

At this juncture I applied, as did my two friends. I would note that my friends had never received the special offer, and that they had previously had the Platinum Biz Card (cancelled 13-14 months ago in their case).

The courtesy offer from the CSR is also not tied somehow to your phone number, as I did a subsequent trial run anonymising (*67-ing) my number and giving a fictitious name.

In other words, I believe anybody should be able to call up and get this offer with relative ease. If you are waiting for an offer, and have had the card previously, I would suggest trying this method as come May 1st or whenever the once-a-lifetime-bonus-rule kicks-in, you may very well be SoL.

Happy application!

I did this a couple weeks ago. I was approved and now have my card. Thanks for sharing!

shonuffharlem Sep 2, 2014 5:35 pm

*67 Won't block your number FYI

"The courtesy offer from the CSR is also not tied somehow to your phone number, as I did a subsequent trial run anonymising (*67-ing) my number and giving a fictitious name."

*67 doesn't work on toll free numbers.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing
800 number/toll free calls – When you dial a toll free number the party you call is able to identify your telephone number using a telephone network technology called Automatic Number Identification (ANI). Requesting that your caller ID be blocked when you call 800, 888, 877, 866, and 855 numbers may not prevent the people who answer such calls from seeing your phone number and name. FCC rules, however, prevent parties that are assigned toll free numbers from reusing or selling the telephone numbers identified through ANI without the subscriber’s consent.

edyonline Sep 7, 2014 5:28 pm

I can confirm that as of this morning, this trick is still working. It took me close to 15 minutes just to convince the guy to talk to his supervisor before extending me an offer :)

Happy application!

ukinny2000 Sep 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi folks, I'm back again to let you know I just got myself an Amex Business Gold Rewards Card ("BGR") via calling the Platinum line method in an earlier post on this thread.

Background:

Process:

Once again I called 1-800-971-6736, and chose option #1, "Apply for a new card."

When the agent replied, I mentioned I had lost an offer for the Amex BGR which was 60,000 miles.

After a brief hold he said that he could offer me only 25,000 (i.e. the public offer).

I asked if that was the best he could do. After another brief hold he came back and said he could offer me the BGR card for 60,000MR for $5,000 spend in 3 months, annual fee of $175 waived for first year.

He read the T&C and it was available only if I had not had the product in the last 12 months. I asked repeatedly if my having a Business Platinum Card would render me ineligible, and he said the conditions only mentioned this product, i.e. the BGR product, and that I was indeed eligible for the offer.

After a very long disclosure read out aloud, I was instantly approved :)

************************************************** ************************************************** *********

Follow-up, dated Oct 9th : I met the minimum spend in the first cycle, and the 60,000 points did post as promised by the CSR

moler Sep 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Approved: Plat Biz 100K miles after $10K spend in 3 months

If this topic ought to be cryptic, or if it's old news, please feel free to ask mods to close it.

When I did a 7-card churn (including an AMEX Everyday Preferred) 3 weeks ago, I did not foresee some big expenditure that is now coming up, which will far exceed all the minimum spend requirements combined. So I called 1-800-971-6736, and said (A) I had received a 100K for $10K spend offer in the mail (B) I cannot find that letter or the RSVP code therein right now (let's just say I am only certain about part B ;)). I asked if I can apply for a Plat Biz card with this offer. The credit analyst "verified" my mailing address ;) to "confirm" that I indeed received this offer ;), and went on to submit and approve my application. Only a few superficial questions were asked about my business (for how long, if revenue and profit fall in the $1-49,999 bracket, proprietorship or corporation etc). I haven't tried this with the personal card.

flyerfrog Oct 1, 2014 5:02 pm

No luck with an amex everyday card. People have received a 25K bonus for $2000 spend targeted offer. I tried this out with no success. The agent was familiar with the offer, but could not extend it to me without a RSVP. Personal and business must have different rules.

solstys Oct 13, 2014 11:28 am

Has anyone had recent success with the 100K biz platinum card? My wife called and was told she needed the RSVP code, but she'll try again soon.