FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Tricks to become "targeted" by AMEX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1299579-tricks-become-targeted-amex.html)

dougs706 Oct 15, 2014 11:29 am

Originally Posted by moler (Post 23556672)
If this topic ought to be cryptic, or if it's old news, please feel free to ask mods to close it.

When I did a 7-card churn (including an AMEX Everyday Preferred) 3 weeks ago, I did not foresee some big expenditure that is now coming up, which will far exceed all the minimum spend requirements combined. So I called 1-800-971-6736, and said (A) I had received a 100K for $10K spend offer in the mail (B) I cannot find that letter or the RSVP code therein right now (let's just say I am only certain about part B ;)). I asked if I can apply for a Plat Biz card with this offer. The credit analyst "verified" my mailing address ;) to "confirm" that I indeed received this offer ;), and went on to submit and approve my application. Only a few superficial questions were asked about my business (for how long, if revenue and profit fall in the $1-49,999 bracket, proprietorship or corporation etc). I haven't tried this with the personal card.

Lucky. I tried last week with the personal (twice) with no luck, they weren't having it. They actually verified my address because I had "misplaced" the RSVP code. She said all they had was the 40k bonus offer (personal). I even tried the old "message customer service and ask for a one time courtesy" thing, and a guy from AMEX called and said "yeah no, those are only for targeted people"....thanks buddy. Oh well, such is life :D I applied anyhow, maybe I'll shoot for a retention bonus down the road.

pstravels Oct 17, 2014 2:55 am

Moler's story is accurate. YMMV, but it worked for me. I think the phone number you call also matters. I called the same number that shows up on the rsvp mailer. Google for it and I'd suggest calling that directly.

solstys Oct 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by solstys (Post 23670257)
Has anyone had recent success with the 100K biz platinum card? My wife called and was told she needed the RSVP code, but she'll try again soon.

FYI - She tried again and got the offer so it's still alive.

VegasGambler Oct 22, 2014 4:07 pm

Has anyone had any luck getting targeted card-holder offers that you were not targeted for from CSRs? I'm not talking about sign-up bonuses; I'm talking about things like the 3x MR pts at restaurant that some people were targeted for (Oct - Dec)

I am a new amex customer with a new PRG (I haven't even been through a full billing cycle yet) but this would be a great deal for me (I spend a lot at restaurants)

sincera4565 Nov 2, 2014 7:03 pm

hi has anyone recently tried that 100k bus plat trick? I am thinking about getting a plat card and I just wanna try to get the highest bonus as possible... tia!

-Pete

mia Nov 2, 2014 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by solstys (Post 23699239)
FYI - She tried again and got the offer so it's still alive.

Originally Posted by sincera4565 (Post 23781362)
hi has anyone recently tried that 100k bus plat trick?

solstys' post was October 19. How much more recent might you need?

adamhoolhorst Nov 7, 2014 11:02 am

Adding a data point. I just got off the phone with an AMEX CSR and was able to get this offer on the first try using the phone number and technique laid out in this thread. Thanks all!

ma91pmh Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000 (Post 22655300)
Hi folks, I know that that the current offer for the Amex Platinum Business Card is for 40,000 MR. However, it is pretty easy to get the 100,000MR offer over the phone. I have done it myself successfully, and have had two friends do it similarly and each also successfully, but YMMV nonetheless. Here are the steps that I took:

1. I called 1-800-971-6736, and chose option #1, "Apply for a new card"

The conversation then went like this:

Me: I would like to apply for the Platinum Business Card. However, a few months ago I got an offer that has since expired. I was wondering if I could still apply and get the bonus that was offered to me?

CSR: Let me see what I can do for you. Do you still have the RSVP code?

Me: No, but I remember the offer. It was for 100,000MR after spending at least $10,000 within the first three months

CSR: That should be no problem. As a courtesy I can extend you that same offer whereby you would get 100,000MR after spending $10,000 or more within the first three months.

I just did exactly the same and with the same outcome. I did not have to do any HUCA, first call got the offer and I was instantly approved. Many thanks for the succinct instruction! Just giving the data point it's still alive and well

mikeef Nov 11, 2014 11:20 am

Originally Posted by moler (Post 23556672)
If this topic ought to be cryptic, or if it's old news, please feel free to ask mods to close it.

When I did a 7-card churn (including an AMEX Everyday Preferred) 3 weeks ago, I did not foresee some big expenditure that is now coming up, which will far exceed all the minimum spend requirements combined. So I called 1-800-971-6736, and said (A) I had received a 100K for $10K spend offer in the mail (B) I cannot find that letter or the RSVP code therein right now (let's just say I am only certain about part B ;)). I asked if I can apply for a Plat Biz card with this offer. The credit analyst "verified" my mailing address ;) to "confirm" that I indeed received this offer ;), and went on to submit and approve my application. Only a few superficial questions were asked about my business (for how long, if revenue and profit fall in the $1-49,999 bracket, proprietorship or corporation etc). I haven't tried this with the personal card.

Done and done! Got an offer on the first try. The guy told me that the offer that I got the letter for (can't find that darn letter anywhere) was no longer valid, but he was able to offer me a separate offer that, coincidentally, had exactly the same terms. Who am I to argue? Since I actually have a (very) small business, this card works well for me.

Now to hit the 10K in spend. The traditional MS instruments are excluded, but who knows if that is really the case.

Mike

pdxyz1 Nov 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Worked for me, too. CSR knew without asking that my code had gone missing and I'd like to hear about another 100K bonus offer. I haven't used my other Amex card in months, hoping for a targeted offer that never materialized. Now AMEX has picked up 20-30K in real spend, which Chase missed out on because they suddenly got stingy with me. Can't blame them, really, but Moorea here I come!

ma91pmh Nov 11, 2014 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by pdxyz1 (Post 23826722)
Worked for me, too. CSR knew without asking that my code had gone missing and I'd like to hear about another 100K bonus offer. I haven't used my other Amex card in months, hoping for a targeted offer that never materialized. Now AMEX has picked up 20-30K in real spend, which Chase missed out on because they suddenly got stingy with me. Can't blame them, really, but Moorea here I come!

Yes same here actually .... I will make sure to put my "real" biz spend on here too which is actually going to be a pretty big chunk of change.

Yes they tell you on the phone that purchasing prepaids etc is not eligible but we all know that is not enforced and largely not enforcable

ukinny2000 Nov 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 23827222)
Yes same here actually .... I will make sure to put my "real" biz spend on here too which is actually going to be a pretty big chunk of change.

Yes they tell you on the phone that purchasing prepaids etc is not eligible but we all know that is not enforced and largely not enforcable

As a reminder, you can do the same trick via the same number for the Amex Biz Rewards Gold card for 60K points (details here )

Flyertall Nov 12, 2014 3:41 pm

Didn't work for me with the Delta AmEx cards. I have been targeted for years, including twice this year. The most recent targeted offer expired Nov 2, which was a Sunday. I called on the next business day, Mon Nov 3, and provided the target rsvp code on the AmEx letter that was sent to me, and was told "NO." Just one day after it expired, it was too late. I called 3 times. Three different CSR said no... once an offer expires, it is expired. "They have to draw the line somewhere."

Credit was not an issue. I got the card. I just couldn't get the bonus they offered me the previous day. I guess I don't have the glib smooth tongue that some of you have.

ma91pmh Nov 13, 2014 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Flyertall (Post 23832866)

Credit was not an issue. I got the card. I just couldn't get the bonus they offered me the previous day. I guess I don't have the glib smooth tongue that some of you have.

What was the offer? In my case they said the offer had "expired" but they could offer something else... and it was the same thing!

mia Nov 13, 2014 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Flyertall (Post 23832866)
... I guess I don't have the glib smooth tongue that some of you have.

I don't think glibness enters into it. I believe American Express has made the decision to steer churners away from personal cards and into the small business charge cards. All banks prefer to issue business cards because the merchants fees are higher, and the consumer protections are less. American Express prefers to issue charge cards because they can adjust the amount of credit that they extend on the fly. They cannot openly solicit business card applications for personal use, but they can make approval easy and rewarding.