FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Tricks to become "targeted" by AMEX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1299579-tricks-become-targeted-amex.html)

mia Dec 21, 2014 7:33 am

To my knowledge we have no reports of this technique working for the personal card.

GarlicFlyer Dec 21, 2014 4:33 pm

I sent AMEX an online request for an Platinum offer of 75,000. I received a 60,000 offer via email two weeks later.

GrnLantern Dec 25, 2014 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 24031814)
To my knowledge we have no reports of this technique working for the personal card.

I can confirm this. I recently did a total of four attempts at different times to get this offer on a Personal Platinum. All resulted in failure.

GrnLantern Dec 25, 2014 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo (Post 24002534)
Question answered. Since I just opened a Business Gold, have to wait 12 months before trying for the Business Platinum.

Are you sure? Because it's my understanding that you can have both Biz Gold and Biz Plat (same with Personal) at the same time. Just a max of 4 charge cards total.

Edit: Oh, you meant to actually qualify for the promo, yes, right. :)

floridagal23 Dec 28, 2014 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 23843954)
There is a lot of talk about the 100k MR sign-up bonus for business platinum, but I really want the personal one. I could use 100k pts right now as I have a particular award in mind with a travel partner.

Does anyone have any tips about getting targeted for that one?

I currently have a PRG card which I've had for a month. First month was $1800 spend. Another couple of hundred and I will get the 25k sign-up bonus. No relationship with Amex before that. Long credit history though; excellent credit, very good relationship with Chase. Applied for a new Chase CC recently; was auto-approved with a $30k limit; I now have 3 Chase CCs; the other two cards have about $30k total limit between them. Never had a missed or late payment in a month; pay all balances in full by due date on all cards. Also $22k with Comenity (VX CC) and about $10-15k spread out over other cards. So a little under $100k total credit not counting the PRG, with low utilization percentage -- the most I have ever spent in a month on CCs is about $10k total)

I have read on some blogs that to be targeted, it's best to have excellent credit, decent spend on other cards, and be an Amex customer, but not too good of a customer (if they already have almost all your business, why would they give you a big bonus to try to get more). I'm not sure how true this is, but it does seem logical. I seem to kind of fit these criteria, although maybe my total monthly spend is a bit low.

My mom was just targeted for 100k membership rewards. She is an authorized user on family plat and has high net worth but low (less than 100k) income. Approved ASAP. That is for the personal platinum.

VegasGambler Dec 28, 2014 8:36 pm

Does amex care about high net worth? From what I remember on the application, the most you can enter is "> $500,000", which is really not much.

Do they know what your net worth is beyond what you write on the application? It seems like they are treating someone with a $500k net worth the same as someone with a $50M net worth.

Flyertall Dec 28, 2014 9:21 pm

My recollection was that the 5 or 6 various levels <$500K and finally the last level >$500K was a question related to net liquid assets... ie cash savings, checking accounts, money market funds, or cash equivalents. Not total net worth. At least that is how I interpreted and responded to the question.

A separate question I recall was whether on not you own your home or rent it. No distinction was made whether you own your home free and clear, or if you are upside down in your home, while a mortgage company owns you several times over, or if you just rent your home, but own an entire city block of fully leased office buildings and the land underneath.

In other words, I don't think AmEx is basing their decision entirely off of their limited questions in the application. I think they do a hard pull once you apply, and a soft pull to see if you qualify. A credit report is likely to reveal enough to better indicate HNW individuals, provided right, title, and related income and expenses aren't occluded under hidden entities established under foreign jurisdictions.

I have no inside information or expertise about how AmEx makes their decisions though.

Lantean Jan 8, 2015 11:56 am

Originally Posted by ukinny2000 (Post 22655300)
Hi folks, I know that that the current offer for the Amex Platinum Business Card is for 40,000 MR. However, it is pretty easy to get the 100,000MR offer over the phone. I have done it myself successfully, and have had two friends do it similarly and each also successfully, but YMMV nonetheless. Here are the steps that I took:

1. I called 1-800-971-6736, and chose option #1, "Apply for a new card"

The conversation then went like this:

Me: I would like to apply for the Platinum Business Card. However, a few months ago I got an offer that has since expired. I was wondering if I could still apply and get the bonus that was offered to me?

CSR: Let me see what I can do for you. Do you still have the RSVP code?

Me: No, but I remember the offer. It was for 100,000MR after spending at least $10,000 within the first three months

CSR: That should be no problem. As a courtesy I can extend you that same offer whereby you would get 100,000MR after spending $10,000 or more within the first three months.

At this juncture I applied, as did my two friends. I would note that my friends had never received the special offer, and that they had previously had the Platinum Biz Card (cancelled 13-14 months ago in their case).

The courtesy offer from the CSR is also not tied somehow to your phone number, as I did a subsequent trial run anonymising (*67-ing) my number and giving a fictitious name.

In other words, I believe anybody should be able to call up and get this offer with relative ease. If you are waiting for an offer, and have had the card previously, I would suggest trying this method as come May 1st or whenever the once-a-lifetime-bonus-rule kicks-in, you may very well be SoL.

Happy application!

has anyone been successful applying for Amex biz plat card lately? I have called twice today and both agents were very firm that without an RSVP code they can't extend the offer. They knew about it, but would not give it to me.
i followed the instructions to the dot.

jediwho Jan 9, 2015 9:03 pm

Tried it at least half a dozen times without any success.

GrnLantern Jan 9, 2015 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho (Post 24136375)
Tried it at least half a dozen times without any success.

+1

I tried at least 5 times, finally gave up.

stealph Jan 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lantean (Post 24126489)
has anyone been successful applying for Amex biz plat card lately? I have called twice today and both agents were very firm that without an RSVP code they can't extend the offer. They knew about it, but would not give it to me.
i followed the instructions to the dot.

Seems to no longer be working.

bribro Jan 14, 2015 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by stealph (Post 24167173)
Seems to no longer be working.

I tried 3 times a few days ago, no dice. Tried another 3 times just now, no dice again.

You snooze you lose I guess.

jrjcopp Jan 16, 2015 7:27 am

Failure on the Business Platinum 100K offer. I tried in December and was offered the bonus, but it turned out I needed to wait til Jan 16 because I had closed a Business Platinum last January. I called today and was told I needed an RSVP code. I cannot remember if I didn't ask in December or if the rep would not provide it. I was offered 40K for $5000 in spending today. I declined that.

And I think I got the same rep on two calls!

Flyertall Jan 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Amex administrators probably read these posts on FT, and consequently changed policy.

ninjaFred Feb 13, 2015 10:35 am

I can report success on the Business Platinum 100K offer. I had no targeted offers from Amex, card match tool, etc. Called 1-800-971-6736 yesterday, fully expecting to hear no offers were available. To my surprise, the rep found the exact offer I wanted: 100K for 10K spending. Applied over the phone and received the approval email today.