FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Tricks to become "targeted" by AMEX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1299579-tricks-become-targeted-amex.html)

unkn0wns0ldier May 8, 2014 11:53 am

Originally Posted by ukinny2000 (Post 22655300)
Hi folks, I know that that the current offer for the Amex Platinum Business Card is for 40,000 MR. However, it is pretty easy to get the 100,000MR offer over the phone. I have done it myself successfully, and have had two friends do it similarly and each also successfully, but YMMV nonetheless. Here are the steps that I took:

1. I called 1-800-971-6736, and chose option #1, "Apply for a new card"

The conversation then went like this:

Me: I would like to apply for the Platinum Business Card. However, a few months ago I got an offer that has since expired. I was wondering if I could still apply and get the bonus that was offered to me?

CSR: Let me see what I can do for you. Do you still have the RSVP code?

Me: No, but I remember the offer. It was for 100,000MR after spending at least $10,000 within the first three months

CSR: That should be no problem. As a courtesy I can extend you that same offer whereby you would get 100,000MR after spending $10,000 or more within the first three months.

At this juncture I applied, as did my two friends. I would note that my friends had never received the special offer, and that they had previously had the Platinum Biz Card (cancelled 13-14 months ago in their case).

The courtesy offer from the CSR is also not tied somehow to your phone number, as I did a subsequent trial run anonymising (*67-ing) my number and giving a fictitious name.

In other words, I believe anybody should be able to call up and get this offer with relative ease. If you are waiting for an offer, and have had the card previously, I would suggest trying this method as come May 1st or whenever the once-a-lifetime-bonus-rule kicks-in, you may very well be SoL.

Happy application!

Used the following method but approval is pending. Anyone have any experience like this?

dawgsontop May 8, 2014 9:35 pm

What's the consensus on applying for the 100k/$10k biz plat offer over the phone if you never received an offer and are reporting minimal business income statistics (~$0)?

I just don't feel they'd approve such an application with $0 over the phone, or am I overthinking this? ...Granted, I do have an SPG Biz that I got with $0 biz income online.

Just looking for some previous data points on this. Thanks

unkn0wns0ldier May 9, 2014 12:41 am

Originally Posted by dawgsontop (Post 22835223)
What's the consensus on applying for the 100k/$10k biz plat offer over the phone if you never received an offer and are reporting minimal business income statistics (~$0)?

I just don't feel they'd approve such an application with $0 over the phone, or am I overthinking this? ...Granted, I do have an SPG Biz that I got with $0 biz income online.

Just looking for some previous data points on this. Thanks

Datapoint: Pending this morning. Called them back and got approved. "Stay thirsty my friends"

tylergupku May 13, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi folks, I know that that the current offer for the Amex Platinum Business Card is for 40,000 MR. However, it is pretty easy to get the 100,000MR offer over the phone. I have done it myself successfully, and have had two friends do it similarly and each also successfully, but YMMV nonetheless. Here are the steps that I took:

1. I called 1-800-971-6736, and chose option #1, "Apply for a new card"

The conversation then went like this:

Me: I would like to apply for the Platinum Business Card. However, a few months ago I got an offer that has since expired. I was wondering if I could still apply and get the bonus that was offered to me?

CSR: Let me see what I can do for you. Do you still have the RSVP code?

Me: No, but I remember the offer. It was for 100,000MR after spending at least $10,000 within the first three months

CSR: That should be no problem. As a courtesy I can extend you that same offer whereby you would get 100,000MR after spending $10,000 or more within the first three months.

At this juncture I applied, as did my two friends. I would note that my friends had never received the special offer, and that they had previously had the Platinum Biz Card (cancelled 13-14 months ago in their case).

The courtesy offer from the CSR is also not tied somehow to your phone number, as I did a subsequent trial run anonymising (*67-ing) my number and giving a fictitious name.

In other words, I believe anybody should be able to call up and get this offer with relative ease. If you are waiting for an offer, and have had the card previously, I would suggest trying this method as come May 1st or whenever the once-a-lifetime-bonus-rule kicks-in, you may very well be SoL.

Happy application!

Approved, spent and points received :)

unkn0wns0ldier May 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by tylergupku (Post 22858008)
Approved, spent and points received :)

I know this is a noob question but did you send an SM or something to confirm your offer as there was nothing in writing in the mail I got.

Thanks

superpanjy May 28, 2014 11:12 pm

Heavy Amex user, but never had targeted offer

I think i am heavy amex user, over 60K since 1/1.

want to apply Platinum card, never received 100K offer.

any thoughts? any help?

Thank you

FTR 787 May 28, 2014 11:20 pm

just take a moment and think about it. what is the purpose of lucrative, targeted offers?

to entice you to sign up and GIVE them your business that might be going to other banks.

now, why would they send you a 100k sign up offer when you are ALREADY giving them so much of your business.

ddallas May 29, 2014 10:42 am

Originally Posted by FTRox87 (Post 22942183)
just take a moment and think about it. what is the purpose of lucrative, targeted offers?

to entice you to sign up and GIVE them your business that might be going to other banks.

now, why would they send you a 100k sign up offer when you are ALREADY giving them so much of your business.

Yup. When I used AMEX as my main cards I never got any targeted offers. In the last 12 months I have switched to cards from other banks and now I am beginning to get targeted AMEX offers. So stop using the AMEX cards for a year and they will try to woo you back.

Eujeanie May 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Do you mean stop using the cards completely, or just cut way back?

I'm not as heavy a hitter as OP by any means, but the Amex I've put 20,000 on each of the past couple of years I've got $1,500 on ytd this year. I'd planned on continuing to trickle use to that card because of the bonus points for certain categories.

What are my chances of getting a targeted offer, especially with their new policy of cutting way back on churning personal cards?

StartinSanDiego May 30, 2014 11:17 pm

I use my Amex card almost every day, and on the top of my log in page there's nearly always an offer to upgrade my pRG to a Platinum and get 50K more points (no hard pull, truly pre-approved). We did the same upgrade for Mr San Diego, but I'm holding off for now.

Acid May 31, 2014 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew (Post 22775709)
This would make you ineligible for this offer. You can't have HELD the biz gold or biz plat in past 12 months.

I have a Biz Gold currently - was thinking about plat. I do not see anywhere in the business plat application saying Gold card holders within last 12 months are ineligible. I thought that was for personal only.

DelrayChris Jun 4, 2014 8:47 am

Originally Posted by superpanjy (Post 22942153)
I think i am heavy amex user, over 60K since 1/1.

want to apply Platinum card, never received 100K offer.

any thoughts? any help?

IMHO, you don't spend enough.

AA_EXP09 Jun 4, 2014 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by DelrayChris (Post 22976659)
IMHO, you don't spend enough.

60k in 5 months is more than my salary (and higher than most.)
Of course, if you're allowed to put airfares on your card and get reimbursed, or are self employed that's another thing but even then there can be better offers depending on what is purchased.

sogboulder Jun 14, 2014 1:30 am

*67 doesn't anonymize a call to a toll-free number. Toll-free numbers *always* receive the calling phone number (and always have, even before "Caller-ID" existed). See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat...identification

Delta2010 Jun 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier (Post 22832284)
Used the following method but approval is pending. Anyone have any experience like this?

Tried this trick today...was offered 100k MR for 10k spend...applied on the phone and was approved instantly..
Now comes the next step...spending 10k in 3 months...