FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Tricks to become "targeted" by AMEX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1299579-tricks-become-targeted-amex.html)

VBC Jan 8, 2012 10:48 am

That is a good point Centurion.

Now that I think about it, when I first got my account years ago my exposure limit was only 2k. I was paying 2 or 3 times a month for the first half year and on the phone with CS a lot. They also have my banking info for online pay.

As I am an employee and don't have my own business, my income is easily verifiable (and they have employer info). I probably have had a mini FR umpteen times and not even known it.

Amex has always been great with my account though, never stopped charging. In my instance I trust them more than any other bank, especially Chase and Citi (who have become cld machines the past 2 years)

JFKLAX321 Jan 8, 2012 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 17771476)
You have been kicked out for a FR. All banks have to do it. AND AMEX IS BANK... Forget about the ambiguous laws from USA DHS just look at recent fines Banks have paid in Washington and New York. The fines are bigger than a few million USD. Fines large enough to make sure every bank like Amex does it. They have departments/divisions that make sure they are in compliance.
You have a blend now that went from loss prevention to compliance with << know your customer laws>>

With the above said I would be surprised if you never got a phone call as this would be the minimum imho. The call could be taken by someone else i.e. secretary, personal banker, assistant, CFO, CPA, etc

Interesting theory.

Ancien Maestro Jan 9, 2012 1:51 am

Try spending $75,000 on your platinum card and cancelling.. that'll get their attention I think..

We're about to do that.. except we spent over 100K on it..

jandersinc Jan 9, 2012 6:54 am

They'll cancel it with no questions asked other than "Why are you canceling?" Then they'll thank you for your business and move on to the next phone call.

drwilliams Jan 9, 2012 8:02 am

Originally Posted by jandersinc (Post 17777580)
They'll cancel it with no questions asked other than "Why are you canceling?" Then they'll thank you for your business and move on to the next phone call.

I agree.

If you are threatening to cancel be ready to hear them say OK.

pannhead51 Jan 9, 2012 12:20 pm

I have 6 Amex card products including Cent.. My wife goes to Walmart every other day. I think that myth was shaken a long time ago.

bubu-SNA Jan 9, 2012 4:54 pm

ditto on walmart

my wife quite happily swipes her cent @ walmart on a weekly basis...no FR. If anything I'd say your zipcode (based on property value decreases) has a lot to do with raising an FR flag.

Ancien Maestro Jan 9, 2012 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by jandersinc (Post 17777580)

Originally Posted by drwilliams (Post 17777967)
I agree.

If you are threatening to cancel be ready to hear them say OK.

We cancelled the Gold Card, and the attendant says, "don't sell me out.. ok?" like she was going to get in trouble or something.. I said, no worries you were excellent, as she advised me that we may get a follow up phone call to ask how the attendant handled the call, and if the call resulted in the cancellation of the card..

Simply the gold card has less use when we have Amex Plat.. at least not for the annual fee we would have paid to continue..

kngspook Jun 6, 2013 9:21 pm

Manufacturing Targeted Offers?

I'm trying to get some targeted Amex offers without success. I've already enabled the offers on my account. Anecdotal evidence on the forums suggests it's not significantly correlated on credit score or monthly spend, though I'm sure those are considered factors. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do, or know how those are decided?

jonnyd13 Jun 7, 2013 9:21 am

I've never had success getting one of these offers from Amex. Although it is possible because I only had just the Blue Cash card until recently.

kngspook Jun 9, 2013 1:40 am

I have the SPG Amex, but with a laughable limit. I'm wondering if I switch to a charge card, and then later cancel it, if I'll start getting offers.

(Yes, I know there are time limits between cancelations and re-applications.)

Flyingfarmer Nov 4, 2013 10:28 am

How to get targeted for an AMEX offer?

I'm never targeted in the mail for credit card offers.

I'm pretty sure a long time ago a put a block on my credit report for solicitations. Any ideas how to take that off?

I also have AMEX SPG cards.

So, what do I need to do to get some good offers?

ac921ol Nov 4, 2013 1:47 pm

I think this link, would help you if you did indeed opt out.

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

^ I realize it says opt out, but read it and you'll see you can opt back in.

antonius66 Nov 4, 2013 4:40 pm

Yeah I wish I could opt in for just Amex :)

aarato Mar 26, 2014 4:30 pm

how to receive an invitation from AMEX

I was wondering if anyone knows what triggers these how sign up bonus offers from AMEX?

Please PM me if sensitive...