FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Tricks to become "targeted" by AMEX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1299579-tricks-become-targeted-amex.html)

mikedo Apr 15, 2014 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew (Post 22708809)
Thanks OP. I was able to apply over phone but am waiting on them to process my application. Hoping it gets approved, but they were able to offer the 100K MR / $10K spend in 3 months as a courtesy. Call took about 25 minutes as rep let me know all features of card as well as having to read the disclosures.

I just went through the same process haha. I'm wondering if there is a AMEX Business Reconsideration line I can call.

flyingtiger123 Apr 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by mikedo (Post 22709031)
I just went through the same process haha. I'm wondering if there is a AMEX Business Reconsideration line I can call.

American Express
(877) 399-3083 – New Application Status

flyquiet Apr 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by vishnu88 (Post 22700033)
I am in a somewhat unique situation and don't know what to do:

a. I have never had an AMEX card and according to the special offers page on AMEX.com, a prescreened offer for the Plat Personal has been sent to me. I have not received it(or if I received it and accidentally threw it away which I doubt) so I don't have an RSVP code or the number of points offered as a bonus.

b. My sister received an invite for the 100k MR PLat Personal and is willing to let me use the RSVP code.

What should I do? Apply using her code(since my credit history was good enough for an offer anyway), or call AMEX and tell them I lost my own code?

Point of clarification, vishnu88: are these Canadian or US Amex offers?
I just received a targeted 60K Cdn Plat offer. My name is even in the URL.
The benefits are not that appealing: already *Gold for lounge, already NEXUS for expedited security, already have no-fee TD First Class Travel Infinite Visa with the travel benefits, don't need valet parking at the airport, but with the Air Canada devaluation of *Gold non SE, it could be liberating to have the option.
However, if your sister's invitation was Personal and not business, then I am less impressed by the offer of 60K points. (How dare they not give me the most possible points?! ;) )

solstys Apr 16, 2014 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew (Post 22708809)
Thanks OP. I was able to apply over phone but am waiting on them to process my application. Hoping it gets approved, but they were able to offer the 100K MR / $10K spend in 3 months as a courtesy. Call took about 25 minutes as rep let me know all features of card as well as having to read the disclosures.

Another data point: I too was able to get the offer by calling, but am in the same boat as newbynewbynew in that it wasn't approved automatically.

mikedo Apr 16, 2014 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by solstys (Post 22715244)
Another data point: I too was able to get the offer by calling, but am in the same boat as newbynewbynew in that it wasn't approved automatically.

Call the number noted by flying tiger above. The CSR that helped me was friendly and promised that he'd have it taken care of by the next day when he came back to work (I called around 11PM CST). Sure enough he called around 3 PM today and told me I was approved.

Originally Posted by flyingtiger123 (Post 22709620)
American Express
(877) 399-3083 – New Application Status

flyingtiger123 Apr 16, 2014 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by mikedo (Post 22716488)
Call the number noted by flying tiger above. The CSR that helped me was friendly and promised that he'd have it taken care of by the next day when he came back to work (I called around 11PM CST). Sure enough he called around 3 PM today and told me I was approved.

Congratulations! Could you share more details, e.g., did the CSR say why it was pending? Did you provide more supporting info? etc.

newbynewbynew Apr 17, 2014 5:25 am

I would suggest not calling as it was approved in 24 hours without a call. No use bringing anymore attention on the 100K offer :)

nestafaria Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Just to clarify -- I canceled my Biz Gold last month on it's anniversary date. I am ineligible for this offer?

newbynewbynew Apr 17, 2014 11:33 am

Originally Posted by nestafaria (Post 22720024)
Just to clarify -- I canceled my Biz Gold last month on it's anniversary date. I am ineligible for this offer?

believe so. I think you have to have NOT held any biz gold/plat card for the past 12 months to qualify.

ukinny2000 Apr 17, 2014 11:48 am

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew (Post 22720036)
believe so. I think you have to have NOT held any biz gold/plat card for the past 12 months to qualify.

That is correct. You cannot have had the Amex Biz Green/Gold/Plat for at least 12 months

Raul2014 Apr 17, 2014 12:00 pm

I have the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold sincde a year ago, do I have a possibility of success applying to the Platiunum Biz by phone using the mentioned method to get the 100K? thanks for any advice. I dont have a business card yet.

nestafaria Apr 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000 (Post 22720139)
That is correct. You cannot have had the Amex Biz Green/Gold/Plat for at least 12 months

Doh. Thanks for the info!

newbynewbynew Apr 17, 2014 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Raul2014 (Post 22720193)
I have the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold sincde a year ago, do I have a possibility of success applying to the Platiunum Biz by phone using the mentioned method to get the 100K? thanks for any advice. I dont have a business card yet.

Since you don't have a business card and presumably have not had one in the past 12 months (biz plat/gold), you should be fine.

mikedo Apr 17, 2014 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyingtiger123 (Post 22717045)
Congratulations! Could you share more details, e.g., did the CSR say why it was pending? Did you provide more supporting info? etc.

Unfortunately, I don't have much more to share. The CSR was extremely enthusiastic and seemed to genuinely want to help me get approved. I assume the application was pending approval due my "business" being new and the low revenue & income I gave them. I did not have to provide them any further support or info on my business after my initial application process over the phone.

solstys Apr 17, 2014 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew (Post 22718324)
I would suggest not calling as it was approved in 24 hours without a call. No use bringing anymore attention on the 100K offer :)

Agreed, I didn't have to call and was approved today and was notified via email so I think most shouldn't have an issue.