Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Centurion now "Invitation Only"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:24 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by Flux
Regarding the card's value, I just got 100.000 MR bonus points, for reaching the 100K USD spending threshold
What's a "100k USD spending threshold"? Is that per month/year?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:11 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Flux
Regarding the card's value, I just got 100.000 MR bonus points, for reaching the 100K USD spending threshold. That's worth the annual fee in itself. I aslo had numerous valuable hotel upgrades and free nights, for example a weekend in a suite at Jumeirah Carlton Towers in London that saved me some GBP 1500.
Yeah, I'd like to know more about this one, how'd you get this?!
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by BLV
What's a "100k USD spending threshold"? Is that per month/year?
I have never heard of this either. Do tell more.

Susan
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:53 am
BLV

I spend way more than that amount, but annually. Maybe that's why I've never heard of it?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: centurion card
The 100K spending bonus applies to the IDC and IEC Cent cards (international dollar and euro respectively) and form part of the ICC (international currency cards) centurion product - these are serviced and operated out of Brighton (UK). If a card member spends $100 OR Euros 100K in a year they are given a bonus 100K MR points bonus!!! I recently changed from IDC to UK sterling Cent (god only knows why as sterling cards do not benefit from 100k bonus MR points.) Still now have my own relationship manager who, to be fair is very good and has managed to get me some great upgrades...still would ratehr have the bonus miles though!

I was just going to post a topic about differences between IDC/IEC and sterling amex - find uk products website appauling compared with the ICC website - crazy thing is ICC have less staff and are run out of the same office...probably not appropriate place for this post but I hope the above answers your questions...
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Previous discussions of the IDC Centurion 100,000 point bonus...

2007 (see msg 14)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-benefits.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...enefits-2.html
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ZbadhabitZ
Why do you people keep your wallets in your pockets when going through a metal detector? Take it out and put it in your luggage. It's not going to get stolen.
Do most people have metal in their wallets? I would much rather prefer to (and do) keep my wallet in my pocket. Just one less thing to worry about.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:58 pm
jsq

Programs: ual, aa, co, delta, centurion
Why do you people keep your wallets in your pockets when going through a metal detector? Take it out and put it in your luggage. It's not going to get stolen.
gee, i guess all the people that show up on a simple search engine request, describing how they had their wallets, purses, or even laptops stolen while passing through security checkpoints must be telling tall tales.

try these or other similiar searches via a search engine for a small sample of victims:

"purse stolen while going through security checkpoint"
"wallet stolen while going through security checkpoint"
"laptop stolen while going through security checkpoint"

scam artists at airports target people passing through security checkpoints. because you are distracted, not doing something routine to your daily life, and potentially ordered out of line in one direction while your possessions (and the scam artists) temporarily go in another direction.

for those of you who get pilfered at a security checkpoint, for a real laugh ask the security checkpoint organization to reimburse you for your loss, then hold your breath while awaiting reimbursement.

anytime i can keep my possessions on my person, i feel a bit safer, call me old fashioned.

jsq

Last edited by jsq; Nov 3, 2009 at 1:04 pm
Old Nov 3, 2009, 1:47 pm

Also, check out the Travel/Safety forum for lively discussion about TSA folk who steal (and get caught)
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
I'm sorry, but I must call you all old fashioned. I take my drivers license out of my wallet, put it in my pocket, and put my wallet in my carry-on bag. I prefer not to be "that guy" standing at the screener having to unload his pockets while everyone waits. To me, courtesy means you unload your pockets ahead of time and put your items you know will set off the buzzer (this may or may not include your wallet) in your bag, then proceed through.

Perhaps your pure black metal credit cards may catch the eye more than my lowly plastic silver card, but you could always be a gentleman (and or gentlelady?) and take your metal card out of your wallet, bury it within your bag as to not set off the machine, and when you're sitting at the gate, put it back in your wallet.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
I like to wear my Centurion on a Gold link chain around my neck. It goes nice with my new diamond and gold grill bling.

I usually wear it while going through security. When the alarm goes off, I get to wave it around while telling everyone it was my Amex black card, cos its made of metal.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Apparently the Titanium Centurion card weights about 12 grams. My watch (which is primarily stainless steel) weights 10 to 15 times that much, but doesn't seem to set off the alarms.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by NickW
Apparently the Titanium Centurion card weights about 12 grams. My watch (which is primarily stainless steel) weights 10 to 15 times that much, but doesn't seem to set off the alarms.
The metal detectors at the airport are set for a certain level of "tolerance" (otherwise everyone would beep) which allows for many watches, a pair of earrings, or a necklace. With a watch, plus a bracelet, plus a titanium card, the threshold might be exceeded and you beep.

As each machine is calibrated slightly different (and some countries' standards are for differing "tolerance levels") you will experience some trips where you set off one machine but not another - wearing/carrying the exact same things.

Hence, while most people report that the Amex Titanium card by itself will not trigger the machines, pair that with other metallic objects on/in you and the card might be the catalyst for the beep in one airport.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
I'm sorry, but I must call you all old fashioned. I take my drivers license out of my wallet, put it in my pocket, and put my wallet in my carry-on bag. I prefer not to be "that guy" standing at the screener having to unload his pockets while everyone waits. To me, courtesy means you unload your pockets ahead of time and put your items you know will set off the buzzer (this may or may not include your wallet) in your bag, then proceed through..
Totally agree, and I'd have to think that most of the people here in the forums do the same thing. By the time I'm done at the ticket kiosk, I have nothing on me but my DL and ticket - wallet, watch, blackberry all stuffed into my bag in one practiced swoop. Heck, I have my shoes untied while standing in line at security before I'm even near the belt.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Avalon28
If you're wearing a $1300 suit, then Centurion is not for you.

My dress shirts cost $400 & up.

I hope I didn't miss the point...
Hmmmm... Well I have a Cent (not earned with business expenses) and if you see me wearing anything nicer than jeans (not designer) and a tee, then someone probably died or got married...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.