Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Centurion now "Invitation Only"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
I have three American Express Cards: the Platinum Charge, Starwood Preferred Guest, and the Delta Reserve Card. In all, with supplemental cardholders I spend approximately $1k per year to have these cards. In other words, I am foolish to pay for the privilege of using a credit card, when I could get more generous credit lines for FREE with Bank of America, Chase, and Wells Fargo.

American Express is in the business of punishing their customers lately. I go out of my way to only use my Platinum Charge card. How am I repaid? By having credit limits imposed on me because they are afraid of defaults. Nothing in my credit portfolio has changed. I have a 728 credit score and have never missed any payment, with any credit card/bill/mortgage.

I pay $450 roughly for the Delta Reserve Card, only to have my limit randomly slashed on that card to $1,800 from 5k. Why on earth would I pay $450 to have an $1,800 credit limit? $5k was pushing it to begin with. I can't even buy Delta tickets on the card so I put them all on my Platinum Charge thus defeating the purpose of having the card in the first place.

Note: I'd also like to mention that I have had a Platinum Charge since 1988 and I have been an AMEX cardholder since 1981. I qualified for the Centurion card (but laughed as to why I would pay thousands to have a credit card) in 1999. I have qualified every year since and have ignored 4 of their invitations total.

I find it humorous that AMEX cuts my Delta card to $1,800 while letting me spend tens of thousands on another card. They make no sense and are just insulting.

At the end of 2009, I will, for the first time since 1981 be American Express-free. I am looking forward to it. American Express is hardly taken overseas and if you put all your spending on their cards, they'll just cut your limits.

As for the Centurion, there is no worthy benefit to the card. The "Centurion Concierge" is nothing more than the same Circles Concierge program that answers when you have a Platinum Card--just they say Centurion Concierge if you are forwarded to them from the Centurion line. They can barely get anything done for you, and this is hardly a perk. Case and point: I was traveling in DC and in the mood for Mexican. I asked them to send me good Mexican restaurants, and they e-mailed me (two hours later) a list of restaurants including Chipotle! Wow, impressive.

At anytime I have around 100k in my checking account. I have come to the conclusion that all I need is my debit card, and the credit cards I have with Bank of America/Chase. They are taken all over the world without hassle. And I don't have to pay them to use their cards.
Based on what you stated, you are amongst the few cardmembers that get got in the Amex FR crossfire. You should contact Beth at Amex Customer Care to see if she can refer you to an Amex department that can assist you with your situation.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by mia
To be sure there is no misunderstanding, Flyertalk moderators are volunteers, we are not employees of Internet Brands or Webflyer. My job is to make this forum useful, not to curry favor with American Express.

dennis
Dennis, you are doing a great job and I for one do appreciate flyertalk's volunteer moderators.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:01 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent, VS G, CO G, US Plat, IC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Avalon28
If you're wearing a $1300 suit, then Centurion is not for you.

My dress shirts cost $400 & up.

I hope I didn't miss the point...
Not sure what to tell you. Since you've declared Centurion is not for me I guess I should get on the phone to AMEX to cancel.

... and congratulations on your expensive shirts. ^
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:51 am
BLV

If you're wearing a $1300 suit, then Centurion is not for you.

My dress shirts cost $400 & up.

I hope I didn't miss the point...
Pathetic.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:06 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ozchinois
...appreciate flyertalk's volunteer moderators.
Thank you. Is now a good time to mention that I do not even own a suit .
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:56 am

Do you have at least an expensive print T-Shirt?

This thread is going off the track, but to resume....

I have called a handful of times to Centurion, and they have gone out of their way to be nice and help me. I have even gotten the same girl twice a week apart and she remembered me and our consersation. Maybe closing the doors on the card is the first to them restructuring? Have any of you long time card holders noticed better responses and nicer people the last couple of weeks? Or have I just been lucky?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: Earned: AC SE, AA PLT - Comped: DL PLT, Avis PC, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by S.Bling
I think the original comment was correct, if you understand what the definition of "value" was.

When a person chooses to buy coach, the potential upgrades that come with status aren't worth anything specific that you can quantify in order to offset the Cent fees.

It is the person who normally pays F, who would save money by purchasing coach and flying in the F cabin anyway due to status obtained through Cent membership.
The difference between the F they used to pay and the coach they will now pay is a direct monetary "saving" - which they would balance against the 2500 annually for the Cent. That's where the direct "value for money" comes in.

If you were purchasing a $300 suit, and you were offered a $1300 suit instead - did you just "save $1000"? No, because you wouldn't have paid $1300 to begin with.
On the other hand, if you went in to purchase the $1300 suit, and the salesperson said that they would allow you to pay for a $300 suit and give you the $1300 suit anyway - then you DID save $1000.
I see where you were coming from now (fiscal value for people already flying up front). I was looking at "value" from a quality of life/travel standpoint for people who would like to upgrade. I've never seen a mileage run that can compete with $2500 for mid-tier on 4 carriers, with 0 hours butt-in-seat.

In regards to your argument, I still disagree that those people really save any money from centurion (though, they obviously can).

I know very few people who can justify buying paid F, but would be willing to roll the upgrade dice.

Stretching your suite analogy a bit, How many people do you know that can afford and buy $1300 suits that would be caught in a $300 suit, just to save $1000? That's the risk you run with the upgrade game.

Last edited by mattm00se; Oct 29, 2009 at 7:47 pm
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:53 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Stryker1112
Have any of you long time card holders noticed better responses and nicer people the last couple of weeks? Or have I just been lucky?
You've just been lucky. Ask for something out of the ordinary (statement reconciliation, why a benefit changed, when will we hear of benefit changes) and you'll get a clueless response and maybe, if you're lucky, a hollow promise for follow-up but no follow up. The nice-ness of the people is not that relevant (people are nice at a lot of call centers), the competency, service and follow-through is what matters.

<begin rant>Actually, I don't really like being chatted up about my day and this and that (nice thought, but they can't possibly really care) at Centurion CS and especially the "Concierge" (feels like they quadruple the amount of words necessary for normal/efficient communication), all I want to do is get the credit card business done so I can get back to my regular business (no offense, it's business, not personal). Centurion, especially the concierge, is all about typical American insincere "How are you's" and contrived empathy.

While I'm at it, I wish Americans would wake up and not rhetorically ask "how are you" when we mean "good day to you sir, I hope you and your family are well and I wish much kindness and goodness in your general direction" (or whatever level you mean that at, I do). It's kinda awkward when someone doesn't answer anyway, especially if you really mean it like I do and are really asking when so many people aren't asking, just saying it as part of the culture. I also wish slow drivers would get out of the fast lane, like Germany where it is mandatory.

BTW: I am American, born and raised, just have seen a few things/countries and went to an international Uni. - so don't think I'm not patriotic (I'd be on a boat dumping tea right now if I thought it'd help, gov't is out of control.)
</end rant>

Last edited by b8b; Oct 29, 2009 at 9:30 pm
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:39 pm

b8b,

Please take 5 mg of Centurapam, wait an hour, and try another post.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:29 pm
b8b

Please take 5 mg of Centurapam, wait an hour, and try another post.

I was hoping that scrip was a cent benefit, but I think it only is with the Impersonal Centurion Card. I have the personal. Used to have the business too.

Reminds me of an recent proverb, "I pitty tha foo."
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:40 am
hok

Programs: LH SEN, AMEX Cent, HH DIA, SGP gold, Hyatt Plat,
Originally Posted by b8b
<begin rant>Actually, I don't really like being chatted up about my day and this and that (nice thought, but they can't possibly really care) at Centurion CS and especially the "Concierge" (feels like they quadruple the amount of words necessary for normal/efficient communication), all I want to do is get the credit card business done so I can get back to my regular business (no offense, it's business, not personal). Centurion, especially the concierge, is all about typical American insincere "How are you's" and contrived empathy.

While I'm at it, I wish Americans would wake up and not rhetorically ask "how are you" when we mean "good day to you sir, I hope you and your family are well and I wish much kindness and goodness in your general direction" (or whatever level you mean that at, I do). It's kinda awkward when someone doesn't answer anyway, especially if you really mean it like I do and are really asking when so many people aren't asking, just saying it as part of the culture. I also wish slow drivers would get out of the fast lane, like Germany where it is mandatory.

BTW: I am American, born and raised, just have seen a few things/countries and went to an international Uni. - so don't think I'm not patriotic (I'd be on a boat dumping tea right now if I thought it'd help, gov't is out of control.)
</end rant>

but your application for a german passport would not be declined....
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:51 pm
b8b

Originally Posted by hok
but your application for a german passport would not be declined....
Seriously? If that were true, I just might... love driving there, would love to be an EU citizen as well.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
I know this goes far off-topic, but I agree with b8b. My own experiences tell me that most of the time, Amex, Concierges, etc. are really beating around the bush and wasting time that could be spent and valued elsewhere. I appreciate kindness on the phone, but you all have to admit that making a phone call to a concierge to do anything usually involves a lengthy conversation. I think I'm just bitter against the fact that Amex (and the Concierges) lack in the technology department. For a major company, why can our concierge requests not be made with exact precision via a website? Why can't we book FHR properties and make requests directly from the web? Why hasn't Amex developed an iPhone or Blackberry app for PLAT and CENT cardholders that not only let you have a look at your spending, but a look at your benefits, a look at your claims (and claim filing), the ability to take advantage of the Fine Dining program right from your phone, the ability to send a request to a concierge and receive a reply back to your phone, all within a technically supported environment?

That's really where I DON'T find value in my $450 PLAT card, or if it were the case, in a $2500/yr. CENT card. It's not that the benefits aren't valuable, and it's not that the cost of the card can't be recouped in things you get for free, and time saved on things that need to be done, but more the fact that that money doesn't go to improving the cards in any revolutionary ways.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: VS/bmi Gold, CX Diamond, SPG/Radisson/Sirius Gold, PC/A|Club Plat, GHA Black, Hilton Diamond +++
Originally Posted by videoman
Be grateful you don't have to carry around their thoughtless gimmick of a Centurion Card made out of titanium. This sets off airport security alarms almost every time.!
Security scanners are set to go off randomly regardless of you walking through the scanner naked. Also, scanners are set to detect different amounts of metal, to make them unpredictable for people with bad intentions. This might be the reason for the alarm going off in your case. I wouldn't know myself, cause I put everything metal through the x-ray as instructed, including my Cent card.

Regarding the card's value, I just got 100.000 MR bonus points, for reaching the 100K USD spending threshold. That's worth the annual fee in itself. I aslo had numerous valuable hotel upgrades and free nights, for example a weekend in a suite at Jumeirah Carlton Towers in London that saved me some GBP 1500.

Also, some of the comments I get on the card are priceless
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
Why do you people keep your wallets in your pockets when going through a metal detector? Take it out and put it in your luggage. It's not going to get stolen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.