Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Centurion now "Invitation Only"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Actually it's $2,500 per year, plus $1,500 if you want to have a secondary card holder (eg. spouse).

Let us know if/when you get it and your assessment of its worth. Lots of threads here on how others find value, or not.

Does anyone think (hope) that by tightening back up the requirements, the benefits might improve as well over time? I know many would like to see SPG Platinum re-introduced, and many would like to see Delta Gold moved to Platinum now that Delta introduced a fourth tier (as was done when USAir did the same). If AmEx reduces the total number of Centurion cardholders, perhaps they would be able to negotiate some of these benefits?

Susan

We can all hope, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Still, at some point they devalue the thing to the point that they really start to lose members, even when the economy turns around. At that point, one would think they'd have to make some decisions. However, a lot of large corporations do get stuck on exactly issues such as this.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: FB Sliver; USAirways Silver; AMEX Plat;SPG Gold
Lightbulb Called AMEX re. Centurian

I am a long time Platinum user, so I phoned AMEX last week to inquire about upgrading my account to Centurian. Was transferred to that department and told they "no longer review files" - it is invitation only. I had called last year and was told I didn't meet the $250K spending requirement. I asked what the requirements were now to get an invite, and was told they don't disclose it. It's top secret. So mysterious.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Circumnavigate
I am a long time Platinum user, so I phoned AMEX last week to inquire about upgrading my account to Centurian. Was transferred to that department and told they "no longer review files" - it is invitation only. I had called last year and was told I didn't meet the $250K spending requirement. I asked what the requirements were now to get an invite, and was told they don't disclose it. It's top secret. So mysterious.
It's called "Centurion".
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:20 pm

centurion

Read through this forum and has great information! I just realized after reading this thread that there has been no new information on centurion for at least 2 months. Just wanted to know if anyone has any information on anyone who has gotten a card. Thanks.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
"I have a question for any Cent member. I recall seeing that you had to meet the spending requirement using an Amex Plat. Is that true? "

Its been my experience that they look at your total spend across all AMEX cards.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Harlem
"I have a question for any Cent member. I recall seeing that you had to meet the spending requirement using an Amex Plat. Is that true? "

Its been my experience that they look at your total spend across all AMEX cards.
1. It is any consumer charge card (i.e. not corporate nor credit products in most cases).
2. Business and personal are seperated (i.e. spend on a business charge cannot be combined with spend on a personal to meet the requirement and vice-versa)
3. There is no more "spending requirement" now anyway. It's by invitation.
Old May 30, 2010, 10:46 pm
formerly lelandv

Does anybody have the current qualification levels for Centurion?
Old May 31, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: Biz Plat, Biz Cent etc
Originally Posted by lelandv
No matter how many times you ask you're going to get the same speculative answer. The only aspects that most can agree on is: Spend a whole lot & keep calling them. Good luck
Old May 31, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: Amex Centurion; Visa Infinite; Hertz Gold; Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold; Kempinski Private Concierge;
Originally Posted by pannhead51
No matter how many times you ask you're going to get the same speculative answer. The only aspects that most can agree on is: Spend a whole lot & keep calling them. Good luck
This is it !
nothing more!
Make all your purchases with Amex, spend a lot and give them a call every weeks, and It gonna works!
Old May 31, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
Originally Posted by lelandv
Call and find out if YOU qualify... YMMV...
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion
Originally Posted by angel.x.martinez
Call and find out if YOU qualify... YMMV...
Ive been a Centurion member for five years and have only seen a decrease in true benefits and an increase in price. It's almost as if they want to phase out the card or if they have put the program in "hibernation".
If you are not a current Centurion member, I would wait until they do something to improve the program before paying $5k plus fees to get the "black card". IMHO
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by superior2112
Ive been a Centurion member for five years and have only seen a decrease in true benefits and an increase in price. <snip>
And yet... it appears you willingly continue to carry the card.

This behavior by many Cent card holders continues to simultaneously perplex and fascinate me...

Regards
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu

This behavior by many Cent card holders continues to simultaneously perplex and fascinate me...

Regards
Its like this - you've spent this money to join this special club with the hope and expectation that you're going to get some neat-o perks that would otherwise be unattainable/difficult to receive...well while you've been in this club the powers that be have stopped serving free drinks and you can't park right out front anymore...but at the end of the day you're still in the club and the thought of not being in the club to see what happens in the future makes you think well...ok...i'll stick with it now that i'm in...so yes the perks have eroded and the card has pretty laughingly continued to evolve into an affiliate marketing tool for american express and their partners as opposed to a, 'key to the castle' - that being said - I do have a visa card that I put about 10k a year on versus 220k or so on my cent card...so i like to keep my options open and am always re-evaluating.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu

Well, I guess you can continue to be fascinated if that's your choice. I would like to point out that just because the price has gone up and just because the benefits have been reduced doesn't necessarily mean that it's nonetheless still worth the annual fee.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 5:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
[Moderator action...]

Posts discussing the Yahoo article about Centurion have been merged into this separate thread :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-article.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.