Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
oneworld nonstop flights between USA and Australia are operated by American Airlines / AA and Qantas / QF. US gateways include DFW, JFK, LAX, SFO. Australia gateways include BNE, MEL, SYD.

Alternatives include using Hawaiian / HA from HNL, Fiji Airways / FJ from Los Angeles / LAX or SFO via NAN or Air Tahiti Nui / TN via PPT. (QF codeshares on Jetstar are no longer bookable as AA awards). You must route direct or South Pacific; awards via Asia, or transatlantic require two awards. Premium Economy services may not be booked with AAdvantage miles yet.

Awards using HA / Hawaiian Airlines require two awards, and one may not use HA between the mainland and Hawaii.

Only MileSAAver Awards are available on AA partners.

The usual award rules regarding Maximum Permitted Miles (MPM) and unconstructed origin-destination routings sold by the prevailing carrier apply.

Qantas releases awards ~355 days out; AA can not book anything beyond 331 days out. Qantas awards are challenging to secure. AA MileSAAver flights seem to be scarce on the LAX-SYD routing, even when aircraft go out with empty seats. AAnytime awards can be used on AA, but dynamic pricing may see those for as much as 225,000 miles one way in First.

Note: there are fees involved in award changes from oneworld airlines to non-oneworld partners or vice versa.

See here for current AA redemption charts.

Threads that can help include:

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) (you must use MileSAAver awards on partners; AAnytime wards may only be used on AA.)

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) (consolidated)

AAdvantage Miles Awards: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AAdvantage miles awards to / from Australia (consolidated)

Edit (post pandemic list at 06 Aug 2022 by Mwenenzi)
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia. Following the pandemic, routes are being restabilised and some new routes. Schedules can change. Route restart dates subject to change.
  • Air Canada AC YVR – SYD BNE. [Star Alliance] .
  • Air New Zealand NZ LAX SFO IAH YVR via AKL. [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN LAX – via Tahiti & AKL. Last segments on QF codeshares. (AA & DL partner)
  • American Airlines AA LAX-SYD due to restart 29 Oct 2022 [OneWorld Alliance]
  • Delta DL LAX – SYD. [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL via NAN Fiji. (OneWorld Alliance connect. QF AA & AS partner)
  • Hawaiian HA HNL – SYD. Pre CV19 also used to fly to BNE (AA & VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ HNL – SYD. Pre CV19 also used to fly to/from BNE & MEL.
  • Qantas QF SYD - LAX DFW HNL YVR*; BNE - LAX ; MEL- LAX. {* seasonal}. MEL-DFW due to start 02 Dec 2022 (new route). SYD – SFO due to restart 30 Oct 2022. Pre CV19 also had SYD-SFO & SYD-JFK(via LAX). [OneWorld Alliance]
  • United UA MEL-SFO, SYD-LAX SFO. BNE-SFO from 31 Oct 2022 (new route). MEL-LAX and SYD-IAH due to restart 30 Oct 2022. [Star Alliance]. (VA partner)
  • and others via Asia & Middle East
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from New Zealand (not from all airports to all airports)
Following the pandemic routes are being restabilised and with some new routes. Schedules can change. Route restart dates subject to change
  • American Airlines AA . DFW-AKL due to start 29 Oct 2022 to 25 Mar 2023(new route) LAX-AKL due to restart unknow. AA was to fly LAX-CHC 3 days a week from Oct 2020. [Oneworld Alliance]
  • Air Canada AC YVR – AKL Due to restart 12 Nov 2022 [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ LAX SFO IAH YVR – AKL. Pre CV19 also had ORD. [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN LAX - AKL via Tahiti (AA & DL partner)
  • Fiji Airways FJ LAX SFO HNL - AKL via NAN Fiji Pre CV19 used to fly to WLG CHC. (QF AA & AS partner).
  • Hawaiian HA HNL – AKL (AA & VA partner)
  • Qantas QF LAX SFO DFW JFK HNL YVR* via SYD BNE & MEL. {* seasonal} [Oneworld Alliance])
  • United UA SFO – AKL [Star Alliance]
  • And others via Australia, Asia & Middle East

Member Mwenenzi posted

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Mxflyer Welcome to FT

Many threads on this topic.
USA <---->Australia business class awards are one of the hardest to get. An award in ~6 to 8 weeks time (short notice) even harder. 2 people on the same flight harder again.
Hard but may not be impossible. At times availability can increase close in.
What ffp's are you currently a signed up member of?

If you look only at LAX SYD you are restricting your options a lot, and then some. Look at SFO, IAH & DFW and BNE MEL. BNE can have better availability than other airports. Domestic USA & Australia flights as needed

Via Asia is the other option, but would be 2 awards. BKK, HKG, TPE, SIN, NRT, HND and others. Due to political unrest some HKG flights have low loads

They do not need to fly the same airline/ffp/routes/airports out & back. Look for one ways.

AA ff miles cannot be used to upgrade QF flights. Anyway upgrades, with any airline on the USA Aust routes are hard.
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia
Edit
List deleted due to out of date post Covid-19 pandemic (see above)

AA & UA also fly LAX-AKL. Then a 3:30hr flight across to Aust.
Via Fiji or on TN can work

AA forum
Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Credit card transfer links
Print Wikipost

AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that the main thing that you are missing is that there are other airlines that offer fares from JFK-AKL and start at $5000 on China Southern, then $6200 on Fiji Airways

There is Hawaiian at $4000 but its seating is recliner seats with a 45" pitch - though you would earn 27,000 miles from the flight. I would rate 77,000 miles at approx $1500

Compared against $3100 plus 50,000 points , the saving isn't nearly as large as what I would actually purchase.

If you would have purchased a $12k ticket, then indeed a great saving
Hawaiian fly the A330 from JFK-HNL so it's a lie-flat bed, and the A330 on the HNL-AKL however, you have overnight in HNL to continue you on to AKL
BarryAZ likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:08 pm

How do I Book Business Class SFO to BNE in June 2019 (to merge)

I am totally stumped on how to fly one-way from San Francisco to Brisbane, Australia in business class using my American Airlines miles. I want to fly on June 27, 2019. Tickets are not available yet for that date (on American Airlines Rewards booking) but they are available one week earlier on June 22, however, they only have coach for 40,000. They have business for 80,000 but only in February or March 2019 and earlier.Are they just not releasing the business reward seats yet, or do they not offer business rewards during summer?

Do you know how I can use my AA miles to fly business from SFO to Brisbane? I have about 240,000 miles and I want to take my son. We will fly home in coach but I really want to fly out in business. Thank you for your time!
tfizzle likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MomandSon
They have business for 80,000

make sure you confirm that leg over the pacific is in J
Antarius and MomandSon like this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Premium class saver awards to Australia are difficult to get on all 3 alliances. I've never tracked it by season or anything like that but I look occasionally. I do echo what enviroian said. You could easily get a "Mixed Cabin" award that might be F from SFO to LAX, and J from LAX to BNE.

As regards season, remember that June is winter in Oz. But maybe Australians would prefer to come to the USA that time of year, I don't know.

If you want two J saver tix to Oz, be prepared to be extremely flexible on your dates.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian

make sure you confirm that leg over the pacific is in J
Wow, it is Economy! I never caught that. Even though it says "Business" from SFO to BNE, when I checked the details, it is actually First Class SFO to LAX, and then Economy LAX to BNE! That is not worth twice the miles just to have first class for one hour. I just learned a lot--thank you!
Taoyuan likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MomandSon
Wow, it is Economy! I never caught that. Even though it says "Business" from SFO to BNE, when I checked the details, it is actually First Class SFO to LAX, and then Economy LAX to BNE! That is not worth twice the miles just to have first class for one hour. I just learned a lot--thank you!
aa.com has this "bug" that displays mixed itineraries as the highest class. But the "bug" aspect is debatable. In the words of Auric Goldfinger " Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action. "

or to make it more appropriate : Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy AAction.
enviroian and MomandSon like this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Please have a look at the thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html (link), particularly the Wikipost at the top of the page. There’s a lot of experience and guidance there.

It can be done, and BNE / Brissie (in the “Strine” language) is slightly easier than SYD or MEL in my experience.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by JDiver
It can be done, and BNE / Brissie (in the “Strine” language) is slightly easier than SYD or MEL in my experience.
Insisting on an exact date is going to make it considerably more difficult. Some flexibility is advisable.
JDiver and aztimm like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am totally stumped on how to fly one-way from San Francisco to Brisbane, Australia in business class using my American Airlines miles. I want to fly on June 27, 2019.
USA to Australia
AA fly LAX-SYD
QF fly LAX to BNE, SYD & MEL
QF fly SFO to SYD & MEL (MEL from later in the year)
QF fly DFW to SYD
Look for the long haul first. 2 business class seats on the same flight is 4 times as hard (2 to the power of 2).
If needed buy the USA and/or the Aust domestic flights separately.
I have been looking on & off for business class awards on AA/QF Aust USA return in June - July 2019 for some time without success.

Also look at these threads in AA forum. AA, QF FJ, TN & HA can get you to Australia.

Australia New Zealand AA forum AAdvantage award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

QF AA forum -->- AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

FJ:---->FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

HA---> Earning and Redeeming AA Miles on HA / Hawaiian Airlines (master thread)

TN-----> AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)
==================
Originally Posted by jridge
Insisting on an exact date is going to make it considerably more difficult. Some flexibility is advisable.
A lot more than advisable

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 30, 2018 at 11:43 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by jridge
Flexibility in date and routing, patience and paying attention are crucial. Iirc I’ve secured eight pairs of J awards to or from Australia over the years, for ourselves and friends.
deeruck likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Any chance of getting Syd-LAX or SFO the first week or two of January? I assume that is the highest part of high season.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Any chance of getting Syd-LAX or SFO the first week or two of January? I assume that is the highest part of high season.
There’s always a chance, but we have no way of knowing how high (Though I think it’s safe to say “very low”). Of course, one can secure AAnytime Awards anytime there’s a seat available for sale, if one has the miles. (Prepare to say “ouch”.)

Flexibility, looking at FJ or using HA ex-HNL, etc. would definitely be good ideas.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:21 pm

I'm in a similar boat to previous poster. My fiance has her eye on a honeymoon in NZ. The time that works best for me given work is around the holidays when everyone else is off. Thus I was thinking around December 2019. I've been racking up AA miles for the trip hoping to score business savers on the way there and flying economy on the way back. I recently noticed as posted here that most of those 80k business savers are economy over the pacific. Some of the first savers at 110k are first/business all the way. I feel somewhat confident that we could find econ availability in December both ways (misplaced?). My main questions would be

1) Anything in particular I should be doing to look for these business award savers? I've been looking on qantas and alaskan for fiji availability about 330 days out from today just as a reference point. As this December/January rolls around I will call AA since I know there's availability they see that we can't. Seems like its also worth trying that aussie line
2) Debating getting a FE subscription for a few months as well, worth it? Is it helpful?
3) Do the 80k awards even exist anymore with bis/first all the way or do they typically come at 110k?
4) Will it be impossible to find 2 seats in early december returning mid december? love to go later around xmas but assuming that's impossible / blacked out?
5) I'm guessing the answer is no but can you go from CHC or AKL to NAN using AA miles as a standalone flight?

Flying from RIC/IAD/DCA. Dream would be to go IAD->LAX->AKL (80k saver) AKL->CHC (paid) CHC->NAN (paid) NAN->LAX->IAD (40k or 80k saver)

Any recent thoughts / tips / success DPs would be helpful thanks
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by burnthebarn
<snip>
5) I'm guessing the answer is no but can you go from CHC or AKL to NAN using AA miles as a standalone flight?

Flying from RIC/IAD/DCA. Dream would be to go IAD->LAX->AKL (80k saver) AKL->CHC (paid) CHC->NAN (paid) NAN->LAX->IAD (40k or 80k saver)

Any recent thoughts / tips / success DPs would be helpful thanks
AA partner FJ fly from CHC & AKL to Nandi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadi_I...tional_Airport

To NZ via Aust is another option. Easier to transit air side in BNE/SYD/MEL for CHC than landside at AKL.

That time of year a lot of people in Aust & NZ are on annual summer holiday/vacation and go travelling. Schools & university's begin the new academic year late Jan/early Feb
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
You could also try via LAX/PPT/AKL on TN but the holiday timing is against you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.