FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/960664-guide-clt-charlotte-douglas-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

Microwave May 19, 2014 10:56 am

Originally Posted by lxjoss (Post 22882628)
Our flight arrives at CLT from PUJ at 18:22 (AA) and my onward flight to DCA leaves at 19:45 (UA).

We will be checking bags and we are UK passport holders.

How likely is it we will make this connection and what is the process?

Your inbound flight will actually be a US Airways flight, and Charlotte is a US-dominated airport. In time these distinctions will fade, but at the moment this question is best placed in the extant CLT discussion thread on the pre-merger US Airways forum, which is where I'll move it.

~Moderator

13thandseven May 23, 2014 9:52 am

New domestic concourse at CLT

I figured you all might be more interested in this than my cohorts over on the DL forum, but exciting news for those who transit through CLT!

It looks like the plan for the new international terminal off concourse A at CLT is on hold, and they're building a new concourse in its place. Very smart move for incremental growth, IMO.

Do you think this is just to add more non-US/AA gates, or will US/AA likely take some of the existing A gates?

I wonder they'll call the new concourse. Logically, it would become the A concourse (with the current counter-clockwise A-B-C-etc. naming convention). I don't see them renaming every concourse, though, so the new concourse will probably be gates A13-20/24, no?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.U39p46xOWAg

13thandseven May 23, 2014 9:54 am

I'd also expect a new checkpoint over on that side of the departure level, or at least an expansion of the current A checkpoint.

Cltflyer1 May 24, 2014 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by 13thandseven (Post 22913100)
I figured you all might be more interested in this than my cohorts over on the DL forum, but exciting news for those who transit through CLT!

It looks like the plan for the new international terminal off concourse A at CLT is on hold, and they're building a new concourse in its place. Very smart move for incremental growth, IMO.

Do you think this is just to add more non-US/AA gates, or will US/AA likely take some of the existing A gates?

I wonder they'll call the new concourse. Logically, it would become the A concourse (with the current counter-clockwise A-B-C-etc. naming convention). I don't see them renaming every concourse, though, so the new concourse will probably be gates A13-20/24, no?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.U39p46xOWAg

Personally it think it is a bad economically move if the don't at least build it up to international gate standards with access to customs. I understand the may have got tipped that their is going to be minimal international growth with the merger, but during peak Euro departure times during the summer several wide body aircraft are forced to use the B gates because of arriving Caribbean narrow bodies.

If they build this terminal re actively for domestic flights they might regret it 10-15 years down the road. But that's just my two cent.

perseus11 May 25, 2014 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cltflyer1 (Post 22919092)
Personally it think it is a bad economically move if the don't at least build it up to international gate standards with access to customs.......

But you're assuming the message was "minimal international growth", when in fact the message may have been a significant "reduction" in international flights. Seems unlikely that if in fact CLT is scaled back internationally, that it would be revived in some reasonable future to justify the added construction costs, which as a fortress hub, would have to be primarily borne by AA.

BoeingBoy May 26, 2014 11:22 am

Part of a new domestic terminal could replace domestic use of D-con and D-con becoming international only.

Jim

Piedmont767 May 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy (Post 22927143)
Part of a new domestic terminal could replace domestic use of D-con and D-con becoming international only.

Jim

:confused:

The D concourse is international only, no domestic flights from D. As customs and immigration is below Concourse D only international flights may arrive at D and if the aircraft is being used for a domestic flight (like a A330 arriving from LHR then going to PHL) will be towed to B.

phlwookie May 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Piedmont767 (Post 22927585)

The D concourse is international only, no domestic flights from D. As customs and immigration is below Concourse D only international flights may arrive at D and if the aircraft is being used for a domestic flight (like a A330 arriving from LHR then going to PHL) will be towed to B.

Nah, I've had probably over a hundred domestic widebody departures over the years from D, mostly on CLT-PHL, but not limited to that. This has happened to me twice in the past two weeks, with US 830 on CLT-PHL on an A332 out of D10.

SpencerC11 May 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Piedmont767 (Post 22927585)

B6 operates out of D also....

Speedracer2 May 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cltflyer1 (Post 22919092)
Personally it think it is a bad economically move if the don't at least build it up to international gate standards with access to customs. I understand the may have got tipped that their is going to be minimal international growth with the merger, but during peak Euro departure times during the summer several wide body aircraft are forced to use the B gates because of arriving Caribbean narrow bodies.

If they build this terminal re actively for domestic flights they might regret it 10-15 years down the road. But that's just my two cent.

They might regret it even more if they spend away the cost advantage CLT has vs. other airports.

coachrowsey May 26, 2014 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie (Post 22928013)
Nah, I've had probably over a hundred domestic widebody departures over the years from D, mostly on CLT-PHL, but not limited to that. This has happened to me twice in the past two weeks, with US 830 on CLT-PHL on an A332 out of D10.

This is correct info unless something changed since I retired.

GalleyWench May 26, 2014 7:55 pm

A US Guide to CLT (The Charlotte airport)

Lots of domestic flights out of D. Those airplanes come in from the islands, Mexico, and other international destinations and fly a domestic flight afterwards. Lots of domestic arrivals on D as well, with the next flight departing to international destinations.

Piedmont767 May 27, 2014 1:26 am

Originally Posted by GalleyWench (Post 22929319)
Lots of domestic flights out of D. Those airplanes come in from the islands, Mexico, and other international destinations and fly a domestic flight afterwards. Lots of domestic arrivals on D as well, with the next flight departing to international destinations.

I would like to apologise for being wrong. I have worked a CLT-MCO flight departing from D. However it is only because it is either A) Before the summer international rush or B) Before all the international flights to Europe and South America depart, as when the A330s are being prepared they block the gates either side of the aircraft so D is normally full of heavies going to Europe or Brazil.

Also if the aircraft is doing a PHL-CLT-CUN run, it will arrive at B, be towed to D and depart to Cancun. If it is the morning, lets say an A332 is doing a GRU-CLT-PHL run, it will arrive and depart from D because it is before the afternoon international rush and there are no other international flights arriving or departing before 9:00 after the plane has left for Philly.

CMK10 Jun 1, 2014 2:49 pm

This may be anecdotal, but I think the free Wifi works better in the food court area. Last month I had a miserable time using the Wifi at Gate C2 and C3 and then this weekend I tried it again sitting in a rocking chair by the food court and it actually worked pretty well.

dcsnowwake Jun 9, 2014 8:08 am

I have a 4 hour layover, any ideas what to do? I am flying Business any good lounges?