FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/960664-guide-clt-charlotte-douglas-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

swag Oct 16, 2014 10:13 am

Originally Posted by coachkevin (Post 23686904)
I have never flown through CLT before. I am flying US Air and interested in your opinion of the 46 min connection time. I am in my mid-30's and in good shape so a brisk walk is not a problem.

5:15 AM TPA 6:49 AM CLT 1h34m -- A319 Coach (W)

Stop: Change plane

7:35 AM CLT 8:46 AM PHF 1h11m -- CRJ-200 Coach (W) - Operated by Air Wisconsin dba US Airways Express

Thanks!!!

The connecting flight will leave from concourse E, so figure a 10 or so minute walk depending what gate you arrive in. So plenty of time, assuming no big inbound delays.

BoeingBoy Oct 16, 2014 10:17 am

You should be in good shape as long as your TPA-CLT flight is within 10-15 minutes of being on schedule. The furthest you'll have to walk is from the end of B-Con to the end of E-Con (RJ concourse) and with a brisk walk you can make that in 15 minutes or less.

Jim

coachkevin Oct 16, 2014 10:40 am

Thank you both for the reply. Leaving so early from TPA (1st flights out) we should be on time, I hope... Murphy is a friend of mine.

I truly appreciate your help.

kudzu Oct 16, 2014 10:44 am

Originally Posted by coachkevin (Post 23686904)
.. Leaving so early from TPA (1st flights out) we should be on time, I hope... .

Welcome to FlyerTalk, coachkevin ^:)

I agree - early morning flights generally have better chances of arriving early/on time. I don't mind scheduling early "tight" connections for myself through CLT ... in case of a missed connection, US would reschedule without charge on the next flight (availability permitting), and that would be the 11:09am flight in your case.

As others have mentioned, you won't have a problem if your TPA-CLT flight is early/on time.

Dread Pirate Jeff Oct 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Personally, I hate short connections like that. Last two flights through CLT for me had 45 minute connections. Outbound landed in D and departed from B, return landed at the end of B and departed end of D. IN both cases, by the time they found someone to move the gate to the plane, and waited for the people ahead of me to get off (sadly, even in the front of economy it took forever to get off each flight into CLT), I made it to the gate about the time they were calling Zone 3 each time.

Of course that's still 15 - 20 minutes before the close the gate, but on the smaller planes, that's when overhead space disappears.

But that's also just my quirk, I hate boarding later than Zone 1 and much rather prefer when I get to board in First because the standing in line part while yet another toursist tries stuffing an oversized carry-on into a too-small overhead compartment, then tries fitting their overstuffed backpack under the seat while sloshing their bag of burgers and paper cup full of coke around just annoys me to no end. But I'm not jaded or anything ;-)

ElmhurstNick Oct 18, 2014 11:45 am

For those of you who use ITA Matrix, I have found that using "clt us /padconnect 15" for morning flights, and "clt us /padconnect 20" for evening flights is a good first attempt at tolerable connections and avoiding a forced power-walk between E19 to/from B12 without time to get a biscuit at Bojangles before boarding.

Dread Pirate Jeff Oct 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick (Post 23697245)
For those of you who use ITA Matrix, I have found that using "clt us /padconnect 15" for morning flights, and "clt us /padconnect 20" for evening flights is a good first attempt at tolerable connections and avoiding a forced power-walk between E19 to/from B12 without time to get a biscuit at Bojangles before boarding.

I really need to take the time to learn more about ITA Matrix's advanced features. It's become my go-to for finding flights even though I have to book via the company travel agency. When I tell them to find me flights, it always ends in an argument over price, but when I just say "Book me on flights XX, YY and ZZ" they just do as I ask without question.

Back on topic, I was pleasantly surprised on Monday that my flight from RDU came in on C3 and my flight from CLT to SAT went out on C19. It's rare that I get to stay on the same concourse and certainly happy that I didn't have to do the power-walk to get from one end of the airport to the other.

swag Oct 23, 2014 9:40 am

Maybe I'm missing it in this long thread, and it's not in the wiki. What are the official MCT (Minimum Connection Times) for CLT?

Looking at domestic, mainline to RJ. There's a 32 minute connection that isn't showing up when I search, I guess that's below MCT?

The alternative is a 2:33 layover; maybe I'll book that, hope for on time and try to sprint over to E and Move Up to the earlier one.

phlwookie Oct 23, 2014 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by swag (Post 23722571)
Maybe I'm missing it in this long thread, and it's not in the wiki. What are the official MCT (Minimum Connection Times) for CLT?

Looking at domestic, mainline to RJ. There's a 32 minute connection that isn't showing up when I search, I guess that's below MCT?

The alternative is a 2:33 layover; maybe I'll book that, hope for on time and try to sprint over to E and Move Up to the earlier one.

I would go with your plan B. MCT is 30 min domestic to domestic at CLT. Going from B/C to E is one case where I'd be concerned I wouldn't make it as there is zero margin for error.

chleonard Oct 29, 2014 3:21 pm

International-to-domestic transfer time at CLT?

Hi all - My wife is planning a work trip in December, flying FRA-CLT-CHS on US Airways. Her travel agency, in their infinite wisdom, has allowed only 85 minutes to connect on the way out (flight from FRA lands 14:50, connecting flight to Charleston departs 16:15).

Is this enough time to clear customs? Based on my experiences entering the US (usually via IAD, occasionally JFK or DFW), I think it's cutting it extremely close. Will US Air bump her to a later flight if she misses her connection? FYI we're both US citizens but not enrolled in Global Entry, etc.

And on a totally unrelated note, does US Airways have any plans to integrate an E+ cabin soon for long-haul flights? Was unpleasantly surprised to find out the only options for a TATL flight are E- or Business :(

3Cforme Oct 29, 2014 6:05 pm

ExpertFlyer cites an MCT of 60 minutes with some flight number exceptions.

phlwookie Oct 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by chleonard (Post 23759359)
Hi all - My wife is planning a work trip in December, flying FRA-CLT-CHS on US Airways. Her travel agency, in their infinite wisdom, has allowed only 85 minutes to connect on the way out (flight from FRA lands 14:50, connecting flight to Charleston departs 16:15).

Is this enough time to clear customs? Based on my experiences entering the US (usually via IAD, occasionally JFK or DFW), I think it's cutting it extremely close. Will US Air bump her to a later flight if she misses her connection? FYI we're both US citizens but not enrolled in Global Entry, etc.

She should make it. Particularly in December so long as it's not during the holidays, there's less arriving international traffic around that time to back up immigration. Barring delays out of FRA, she should make it. She shouldn't waste time until she reclears security after immigration, but I think she'll make it with relative ease if FRA-CLT is on time or close to it.

And on a totally unrelated note, does US Airways have any plans to integrate an E+ cabin soon for long-haul flights? Was unpleasantly surprised to find out the only options for a TATL flight are E- or Business :(

It is our hope that Main Cabin Extra - AA's term for E+ - will be added to the legacy US fleet, but timelines have not been announced.

Piedmont767 Oct 30, 2014 8:09 am

Your wife will be fine with a 85 minute connection, seeing how we have had the "seasonal international pulldown" and thhat there are only four international flights arrriving from Europe (Frankfurt, Munich and London Heathrow x2) there won't be many people in the customs and immigration hall.

Also Charlotte is a very easy airport to connect in, there is reason why CLT is nicknamed "Layover Country". ;)

I have heard that beginning this winter, we may begin to install MCE on our planes, but that is all I have heard about it.

kudzu Oct 30, 2014 8:26 am

...Will US Air bump her to a later flight if she misses her connection? ...

Yes. If she misses the 4:15pm CLT-CHS, they'd get her (space available) on the 6:10pm or 7:50pm flight.

kimmielou01 Nov 5, 2014 12:37 pm

Flights changed, will I make this connection at CLT?

Hi, purchased a flight with a 1 hour, fifteen minute connection time and the flights have changed as follows:

DTW-CLT

Connection time 43 minutes

CLT-SXM (St. Maartin)

Mid-January flights - Am I going to make this connection? Thanks!