FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/960664-guide-clt-charlotte-douglas-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

platbrownguy Feb 14, 2024 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Paul Baldwin (Post 35998907)
"If the LHR-CLT and CLT-PUJ flights are on the same ticket, it is a connection -- albeit an overnight one -- unless you specifically purchased separate fares for each segment, and opted to treat CLT as a "stopover" on the outbound."

On manage booking on the AA website, LHR to CLT is shown as "flight 1", CLT to PUJ as "flight 2" and PUJ to LHR as "flight 3".

I wouldn't read much into AA.com's grouping of flight segments.

I agree w/ others on the hotels, don't expect much, they are old and worn. But the Sheraton is okay. I personally like the Ritz downtown but it sounds like you'd intend to get up super early (not sure why 3am... at that hour, I would wake up at 5, leave at 5:30, and comfortably get to the airport by 5:50-6) so maybe not a great choice.

You didn't ask, but to avoid jet lag, I would recommend a very short nap on the LHR-CLT flight and then pushing through until about 8 or 9pm CLT time on your day of arrival. Wake up (ideally at the aforementioned 5am) before your flight to PUJ and you're ready for the beach. Of course, if you want to sleep on the beach anyhow, ignore me (:

Irishtraveler Mar 2, 2024 2:39 pm

Connecting in CLT

How does the connection process work? I'm flying DUB-CLT-BOS I know typically you have to reclear security and collect luggage for international connections. but i'm not sure if it is the case with this flight or not.

S80 Mar 2, 2024 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Irishtraveler (Post 36046858)
How does the connection process work? I'm flying DUB-CLT-BOS I know typically you have to reclear security and collect luggage for international connections. but i'm not sure if it is the case with this flight or not.

You will do immigration in DUB so will arrive like a domestic arrival, no need to collect bags either, just walk off the plane and to your next gate. Arrive with extra time in DUB for formalities though.

CMTinPHL Mar 2, 2024 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Irishtraveler (Post 36046858)

DUB has pre-clearance, meaning you clear Immigration in Dublin. The flight is treated as a domestic flight when disembarking in CLT. So you shouldn’t have to relearn security and your luggage can checked through DUB-CLT-BOS.

SamirD Mar 3, 2024 8:25 am

Originally Posted by theboss7593 (Post 35898054)
And I like to board last anyways so that sounds like a plan to be although I'll sub the minute suite nap for a carolina pulled pork at the club at CLT.

Yum--which clubs are having this? I know Centurion varies their menu.

Originally Posted by Aliquot (Post 35900347)
As someone who tries to minimize their time in aiports the ideal connection is walking form one flightnto the next and the door closing immediately behind me and being on our way.

I have had that happen before and it is nerve racking to me knowing that I nearly missed the flight by just 30 seconds. I wouldn't want that experience at CLT where there's a lot of other variables (moving walkway down, crowds, etc).

Originally Posted by carla568 (Post 35901169)
Thank you for the enlightening list. I never knew it was looked at by flight number. This works if flight numbers are restricted to certain gates. (At DFW, this concept would not work.)

I don't get why airports are not enticing airlines to set prices to favor an extended layover time. Everyone benefits from a less stressed traveler who spent extra money to have a nice meal and shopping experience during their layover (except when people spend too much time at a bar and get annoying).

Because for some trips, it's about the destination and not the journey (ie urgent work).

Originally Posted by born sleepy (Post 35901269)
...so I can enjoy my AC membership of $3 wine and hamster food.

LMAO!! In my mind I instantly imagined everyone in the club as a hamster--hilarious mental image! Thank you for the smile!

bscooter26 Mar 11, 2024 4:34 pm

Any update on when the new Admirals Club space will be open at CLT?

Tried running a search but couldn't find much

LovePrunes Mar 11, 2024 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by bscooter26 (Post 36072184)
Any update on when the new Admirals Club space will be open at CLT?

Tried running a search but couldn't find much

uh, the airport hasn't even approved the project yet, from talking with CLT airport execs I know. It'll be at least 1-2 years even if they started today, (and THAT'S definitely not happening haha)
No doubt it eventually will start.

Was thru there recently and the food options were retuning to normal-ish (less pre-packaged items), although the club is still very much under renovation all over: front, hallway / entry, something going on near the restrooms, the bar area is quasi open. It's weird.

EXP100 Mar 13, 2024 7:31 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 36072394)
uh, the airport hasn't even approved the project yet, from talking with CLT airport execs I know. It'll be at least 1-2 years even if they started today, (and THAT'S definitely not happening haha)
No doubt it eventually will start.

Was thru there recently and the food options were retuning to normal-ish (less pre-packaged items), although the club is still very much under renovation all over: front, hallway / entry, something going on near the restrooms, the bar area is quasi open. It's weird.

Hopefully they're expanding the bathroom size in C but I wouldn't get my hopes up. The furniture (many lacking power outlets) looks like something out of prison visiting room.

joeyE Mar 13, 2024 7:41 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 36072394)

Yesterday they had the mini-subs, pesto pasta salad and a chili-bar out in the BC club. It's a nice change, but certainly no better in quality then what was previously offered (meaning, no additional value for the increase in annual fee.)

FlyingHoustonian Apr 25, 2024 12:03 pm

Just curious on your thoughts on connection odds from the experts here (as I am not a frequent CLT user with AA, though I have a few flights to, from, and through in the last year).

On an upcoming Friday evening in May, I am flying with three others, all of us on the same PNR in paid first BTR-CLT-PHL on AA5402 up front row 2 (PSA flight) 4:35p-7:38p then a quick scheduled 42 minute connection time onto AA mainline flt AA1648 in paid first row 3 CLT-PHL scheduled to depart at 8:20pm.

I know from prior BTR flights they are normally way down at the farthest end of E, and I have no idea where the mainline hub-to-hub stuff goes from. No checked bags and likely just 2-3 carry-ons. No reason to stop on the way to connect. I presume if all is on time we will be fine. There is another final flight to PHL about two hours later.

Would AA automatically book us on the next PHL even if downgraded should there be a delay? Most of my AA flying is point-to-point via PHL, IAH/HOU, and DCA so I don't have much IRROPs experience with them. I presume anything more than a 15 minute delay would cause a miss, and while UA holds flights for me as GS, I presume AA is not in that habit for lower status (not a CK) flyers.

I like to game out any plan Bs ahead when I am not flying along :D

JJeffrey Apr 25, 2024 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian (Post 36187949)
Just curious on your thoughts on connection odds from the experts here (as I am not a frequent CLT user with AA, though I have a few flights to, from, and through in the last year).

On an upcoming Friday evening in May, I am flying with three others, all of us on the same PNR in paid first BTR-CLT-PHL on AA5402 up front row 2 (PSA flight) 4:35p-7:38p then a quick scheduled 42 minute connection time onto AA mainline flt AA1648 in paid first row 3 CLT-PHL scheduled to depart at 8:20pm.

I know from prior BTR flights they are normally way down at the farthest end of E, and I have no idea where the mainline hub-to-hub stuff goes from. No checked bags and likely just 2-3 carry-ons. No reason to stop on the way to connect. I presume if all is on time we will be fine. There is another final flight to PHL about two hours later.

Would AA automatically book us on the next PHL even if downgraded should there be a delay? Most of my AA flying is point-to-point via PHL, IAH/HOU, and DCA so I don't have much IRROPs experience with them. I presume anything more than a 15 minute delay would cause a miss, and while UA holds flights for me as GS, I presume AA is not in that habit for lower status (not a CK) flyers.

I like to game out any plan Bs ahead when I am not flying along :D

42 mins is very tight however like with most of these questions if you're on time you'll make it.

Your BTV-CLT will arrive into E like you mentioned abd CLT-PHL will most likely be from B or C, although it could be from A or D as well.

The biggest issue I see is that BTV-CLT is operated by a CRJ, so even if you're carry-on only if any of these are larger size they'll ll have to be gate checked, which means waiting an extra 5-15 mins typically on the jetbridge after you arrive in CLT.

But if you were to miss it AA will just rebook you on the next available option to PHL, most likely the flight departing 2 hrs later. If only Y is available then it's up to you whether to take that or wait for another option in J, presumably the next day.

FlyFreakquently Apr 25, 2024 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 36188035)
42 mins is very tight however like with most of these questions if you're on time you'll make it.

Your BTV-CLT will arrive into E like you mentioned abd CLT-PHL will most likely be from B or C, although it could be from A or D as well.

The biggest issue I see is that BTV-CLT is operated by a CRJ, so even if you're carry-on only if any of these are larger size they'll ll have to be gate checked, which means waiting an extra 5-15 mins typically on the jetbridge after you arrive in CLT.

But if you were to miss it AA will just rebook you on the next available option to PHL, most likely the flight departing 2 hrs later. If only Y is available then it's up to you whether to take that or wait for another option in J, presumably the next day.

While the gate checked bags are an annoyance, BTR is an efficient airport and I’ve always departed a few minutes early out of there.

FlyingHoustonian Apr 25, 2024 12:44 pm

Many Thanks , kind of what I figured as I need it ontime to work.

Very good point to bring up on bags, I should have mentioned the carry-ons were smaller types as I don't want to gate check so just backpack style bags. I do know the CRJ900 is tight, I flew it somewhat often out of BTR (just a note it is Baton Rouge BTR to CLT not BTV which is Vermont IIRC) but the backpack bags will fit thankfully. They are not the bigger gate check roll-aboard types for this. Thanks again for the info. I will definitely have plan Bs ready.

JJeffrey Apr 25, 2024 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian (Post 36188051)
Many Thanks , kind of what I figured as I need it ontime to work.

Very good point to bring up on bags, I should have mentioned the carry-ons were smaller types as I don't want to gate check so just backpack style bags. I do know the CRJ900 is tight, I flew it somewhat often out of BTR (just a note it is Baton Rouge BTR to CLT not BTV which is Vermont IIRC) but the backpack bags will fit thankfully. They are not the bigger gate check roll-aboard types for this. Thanks again for the info. I will definitely have plan Bs ready.

Doh, BTV/BTR typo mixup. With no gate-checked carry-on's then you should be fine. You'll probably get to the gate well after boarding has started but you'll make it with no problem.

SamirD Apr 25, 2024 3:38 pm

Yep, I second this. I've had to do it and as long as everything goes well, you'll be fine. I would hustle anyways though.