FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/960664-guide-clt-charlotte-douglas-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

scottsam66 Apr 29, 2014 9:30 am

I agree that the traffic patterns are all jacked up at this time. I came in to CLT Monday AM from Little Rock Rd to get to LT 1 or 2. There was traffic merging, and it was causing everyone to move at a snails pace. Hope the brain surgeons at CLT get this figured out sooner rather than later.
Cheers.

ibrandsguest May 3, 2014 4:36 pm

Beware: if you're leaving the rental car lots and drive away from the airport on the same road that used to lead to Wilkinson Boulevard (eventually), it's now rerouted, and after driving past all of the rental car lots, you'll soon be forced to bear left and will be on a road around the airport. It took me about 10+ minutes to finally get to an entrance to I-485, which worked for me, but if you're heading uptown, you'll be way off track.

CLTmech May 5, 2014 9:23 am

Originally Posted by NYCommuter (Post 22805020)
Beware: if you're leaving the rental car lots and drive away from the airport on the same road that used to lead to Wilkinson Boulevard (eventually), it's now rerouted, and after driving past all of the rental car lots, you'll soon be forced to bear left and will be on a road around the airport. It took me about 10+ minutes to finally get to an entrance to I-485, which worked for me, but if you're heading uptown, you'll be way off track.

I guess that they didn't get any/very good signage for directions on Old Dowd road coming out from Rental Car road with the road changes. There is a newer bridge just past the fuel farm that replaces the old routing past the long term lots to access Wilkinson Blvd.

plon May 9, 2014 3:12 pm

Looks the the Automated Passport Kiosks (for US Citizens) are now up and running. Any one experienced them yet at CLT? Any effect on wait times for CBP Processing?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.U21D0Fc3dv8

GalleyWench May 9, 2014 8:00 pm

A US Guide to CLT (The Charlotte airport)

CLT has KCM so there shouldn't be many mainline crew members going thru regular lines.

lxjoss May 18, 2014 2:14 am

Is 1h20 enough connection time?

I am flying PUJ-CLT-DCA. We are UK citizens. On arrival in Charlotte from the Dominican Republic I assume we will have to clear customs, collect our checked luggage and re-check it for our onward flight to DCA. Is 1h20 too tight?

gottigotti May 18, 2014 2:42 am

Originally Posted by lxjoss (Post 22882559)
I am flying PUJ-CLT-DCA. We are UK citizens. On arrival in Charlotte from the Dominican Republic I assume we will have to clear customs, collect our checked luggage and re-check it for our onward flight to DCA. Is 1h20 too tight?

It really depends on your arrival time relative to the international arrivals. If you get in before the flights from LHR / CDG / etc you should be fine with 1:20.

There are plenty of flights to DCA so even if you miss your flight you should be ok (assuming it is part of the same ticket).

lxjoss May 18, 2014 2:43 am

Is 1h20 enough time for intl-dom conn at CLT?

Our flight arrives at CLT from PUJ at 18:22 (AA) and my onward flight to DCA leaves at 19:45 (UA).

We will be checking bags and we are UK passport holders.

How likely is it we will make this connection and what is the process?

Thanks!

3Cforme May 18, 2014 5:32 am

Clear immigration. Get checked bags. Clear Customs. Drop bags at re-check station. Clear security. Board connecting flight.

Minimum Connect Time Dominican Republic to U.S. domestic appears to be eighty minutes so your schedule is not generous. (I assume you meant US-operated CLT-DCA as I don't see UA flying it tomorrow.)

There is a 22:15 departure CLT-DCA.

ericcheung May 18, 2014 7:35 am

Is 1h20 enough time for intl-dom conn at CLT?

should be fine. Charlotte is a small international airport, and you are not competing with international arrivals at that time. Should be relatively quick through immigration, redrop your bags, security and the next flight. You are likely flying US-US and they have purposely banked flights tight to maximize connections and minimize downtime.

JPG3392 May 18, 2014 9:25 am

I had a similar connection in CLT a few years ago coming from MUC or LH and going on to DCA on US. I don't recall the exact connecting time but I remember that everything went quite smoothly and swiftly.

lxjoss May 18, 2014 10:08 am

Originally Posted by gottigotti (Post 22882626)
It really depends on your arrival time relative to the international arrivals. If you get in before the flights from LHR / CDG / etc you should be fine with 1:20.

There are plenty of flights to DCA so even if you miss your flight you should be ok (assuming it is part of the same ticket).

Thanks. Arrival time is 18:22

Often1 May 18, 2014 10:16 am

The key to these things is to always consider Plan B. Here, there are two later non-stops (as well as BWI and IAD options) so a misconnect is not the worst thing in the world.

AZ Travels the World May 18, 2014 10:28 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 22882980)
Drop bags at re-check station.

This assumes a single ticket with both the AA and UA segments. If separate tickets, assuming AA is like US, it's highly unlikely AA will interline the bags to UA.

Heck, most of the time now, US won't even interline to their own partner if it's two tickets. :(

phlwookie May 18, 2014 12:35 pm

So long as you don't arrive during the European arrival rush you'll be fine. Last week on a FRA-CLT, "customs was full" on arrival at about 4:45pm and they held us on the plane for 15 min, then I was greeted by massive lines for both visitors and citizens at immigration. Thankfully I breezed through due to Global Entry and no checked bags, then was through the D security checkpoint with TSA PreCheck immediately thereafter - plane to connecting gate was probably 15 min total. However, some likely misconnected or it would have been pretty tight.

OP is arriving late enough though that barring a delayed arrival of several inbound widebodies from Europe, they'll likely be fine.