FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/960664-guide-clt-charlotte-douglas-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

BoeingBoy Feb 6, 2014 1:38 am

Originally Posted by scottsam66 (Post 22294159)
Sorry for the "poopy rant"!:D:D

Actually, since CLT put the full-time attendants in the concourse restrooms I find that they're normally clean and pleasant. Admittedly someone can have an unpleasant movement with plenty of obnoxious gas anywhere, any time and if you happen to enter the restroom during/immediately after that there's not much anyone can do. But I haven't had that experience yet.

Jim

Heidelberg Barbie Feb 6, 2014 7:33 am

Originally Posted by scottsam66 (Post 22294159)
Hello FT
Anyone else frequent US clubs in CLT Monday mornings?
I think it's insane that for a pretty big club between C and D there is one bathroom and 4 stalls for men!
It's comical to see men in suits and ties waiting in a stinky bathroom for the privilege to plop down on a still hot toilet seat-- (let alone the stench!)
I have given up, and find a more pleasant experience when the need arises using the public restrooms! Sacrilege, I know but in CLT C they are pretty much the same as the Clubs, and no waiting.
More stalls please US Club!

Sorry for the "poopy rant"!:D:D

I have never had an "odorous" experience in the ladies room at this Club. It is always clean and relatively pleasant (for a restroom).

BoeingBoy Feb 6, 2014 12:21 pm

Unfortunately, I think most ladies are more considerate than most men when it comes to public restrooms :)

Jim

Argonott Feb 9, 2014 7:10 am

How is the pre-check line on Monday Mornings?

I try to avoid Monday morning flights whenever possible because of the long security lines. I've found that I can get through security in about 5 minutes any other time of the week, but I allow a half hour or more on Monday mornings.

It's been a while since I've flown Monday morning, but the last time I did, the pre-check line was huge, so I used the regular line instead, and it did take a while. They have opened a second pre-check line since then. Tomorrow morning I have a 7:30am flight, and am debating how early I need to arrive at the airport. Are the Monday morning lines still crazy, or has it balanced out?

gottigotti Feb 9, 2014 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Argonott (Post 22315117)
I try to avoid Monday morning flights whenever possible because of the long security lines. I've found that I can get through security in about 5 minutes any other time of the week, but I allow a half hour or more on Monday mornings.

It's been a while since I've flown Monday morning, but the last time I did, the pre-check line was huge, so I used the regular line instead, and it did take a while. They have opened a second pre-check line since then. Tomorrow morning I have a 7:30am flight, and am debating how early I need to arrive at the airport. Are the Monday morning lines still crazy, or has it balanced out?

With the pre-check line at D now the waits for pre-check have been 5-10 minutes. They were trying some Randomizer thing a few weeks ago which overwhelmed the system and backed it up to 20 minutes. I haven't seen it in a couple of weeks.

Parking is getting worse not better. Last Monday it was 20 minutes from pulling into business valet to getting off the bus at the terminal. Not sure if it was a bad day for them or if that is the norm now, but be warned about parking.

Argonott Feb 9, 2014 10:37 am

Originally Posted by gottigotti (Post 22315740)
With the pre-check line at D now the waits for pre-check have been 5-10 minutes. They were trying some Randomizer thing a few weeks ago which overwhelmed the system and backed it up to 20 minutes. I haven't seen it in a couple of weeks.

Parking is getting worse not better. Last Monday it was 20 minutes from pulling into business valet to getting off the bus at the terminal. Not sure if it was a bad day for them or if that is the norm now, but be warned about parking.

Thanks for the feedback on the queue.

I've started just taking a cab to the airport. I've had trouble with all the parking options.

ibrandsguest Feb 11, 2014 5:28 am

There is frequent public transportation between the airport and uptown Charlotte

Despite what post 1 says, there is frequent bus service between the airport and uptown (center city) Charlotte. A Charlotte Transit "Sprinter" bus leaves every 20-30 minutes from a bus stop located outside the lower level of the airport; if you're leaving baggage claim, exit and go to the right. The fare is around $2-ish and the bus will take dollar bills and coins. Schedules are available by looking for Route 5 below:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/c...s/default.aspx

swag Feb 11, 2014 6:30 am

Originally Posted by NYCommuter (Post 22327261)
There is frequent public transportation between the airport and uptown Charlotte

Despite what post 1 says, there is frequent bus service between the airport and uptown (center city) Charlotte. A Charlotte Transit "Sprinter" bus leaves every 20-30 minutes from a bus stop located outside the lower level of the airport; if you're leaving baggage claim, exit and go to the right. The fare is around $2-ish and the bus will take dollar bills and coins. Schedules are available by looking for Route 5 below:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/c...s/default.aspx

The post at the top of the thread is a Wikipost, which means anyone can make edits or corrections. I've gone ahead and linked to your post with the correction.

I took the bus to downtown myself around Thanksgiving. It was a 20+ minute freezing cold wait for the bus to come, but once it did, it was a clean and quick ride downtown.

scottsam66 Feb 13, 2014 5:23 pm

Can anyone provide any details on the state or the long term lots with all the snow?
I'm thinking I may need to pick up a retractable scraper/brush to get my car out. Those lanes are so freaking tight to drive thru-no way they plow between the aisles.
Only hope is tomorrow supposed to be warmer. Maybe some melts.

gj83 Feb 24, 2014 7:24 am

Lyft recently expanded their coverage area to use 485 as the basic perimeter so they can pick up at the airport now.

UberBlack has been able to do airport pickups for a while ($45 flat rate to uptown which is more than the $25 flat rate yellow cab), but now UberX can do airport pickups as well. I assume it's metered but I haven't tried yet. From my house in SouthPark to the airport on UberX it is $26 without traffic. It would be over $30 in a cab.

The links are normal (as in not affiliate) links. I do have promo codes for Lyft and Uber if you don't have a code from anyone else and you can PM me.

Lyft in Charlotte is currently in "Pioneer" which means if you are brand new to Lyft, your first 2 weeks of rides will be free up to $25/ride...no code needed. This is city specific so your rides won't carry over when you go home if you live in another Lyft market.

gj83 Feb 24, 2014 7:31 am

And parking rates just went up ... (all rates per day)
Daily went from $7 to $10.
Business Valet from $10 to $14
Daily North is still $7 (when open)
Long Term is $5 (I think that is up from $4, but I haven't parked there since it was $3 years ago).

And Curbside Valet is $28. I think that was $28, but then after Hourly closed it seemed to match that rate at $18.
Hourly is still under construction and if you park in curbside valet your car will be searched.

ibrandsguest Mar 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Looks like the Preferred lane before security is now basically gone, at least on weekends.

There used to be a Preferred lane at the entrance to the C concourse, then it moved over to the A/B entrance, and now it's back at the C concourse; if you're facing the US Airways first class/Preferred ticket counters, it's to the left.

However, the only lane at the C concourse, at least on the past few Sundays when I've flown, is for Preferreds (and first class); there is no "regular" lane. (There are two lanes, but one, which is the old Preferred lane, is closed, and the old "regular" lane, is marked "Preferred" but is open to anyone.)

I've noticed a huge line in that lane- just as long as the regular line at the entrance to the A/B concourses. When I've started to enter, I've noticed the sign saying "Preferred/First Class", and a security person asks, "Are you Preferred or first class?" when I start to enter.

However, the sole lane at the entrance to the C concourse, despite being marked "Preferred", is clearly used by just anyone who wants to use it, since the line is very, very long-much longer than it used to be- and is full of people who don't look like frequent flyers, and since the security person doesn't check boarding passes.

So I have used the D or E security lanes, which are much faster, even though there is no Preferred lane.

So...any way to contact the US station manager and get this situation fixed? The closed lane at the C concourse security entrance should be reopened and made a Preferred lane, as it used to be, or the Preferred lane should be enforced as just for Preferreds.

Thanks.

plon Mar 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter (Post 22617003)
Looks like the Preferred lane before security is now basically gone, at least on weekends.

There used to be a Preferred lane at the entrance to the C concourse, then it moved over to the A/B entrance, and now it's back at the C concourse; if you're facing the US Airways first class/Preferred ticket counters, it's to the left.

However, the only lane at the C concourse, at least on the past few Sundays when I've flown, is for Preferreds (and first class); there is no "regular" lane. (There are two lanes, but one, which is the old Preferred lane, is closed, and the old "regular" lane, is marked "Preferred" but is open to anyone.)

I've noticed a huge line in that lane- just as long as the regular line at the entrance to the A/B concourses. When I've started to enter, I've noticed the sign saying "Preferred/First Class", and a security person asks, "Are you Preferred or first class?" when I start to enter.

However, the sole lane at the entrance to the C concourse, despite being marked "Preferred", is clearly used by just anyone who wants to use it, since the line is very, very long-much longer than it used to be- and is full of people who don't look like frequent flyers, and since the security person doesn't check boarding passes.

So I have used the D or E security lanes, which are much faster, even though there is no Preferred lane.

So...any way to contact the US station manager and get this situation fixed? The closed lane at the C concourse security entrance should be reopened and made a Preferred lane, as it used to be, or the Preferred lane should be enforced as just for Preferreds.

Thanks.

What time were you flying? I asked the TSA once, and they said they shut all the preferred (and PreCheck) lanes at 8pm on weekends. (and I've noticed sometimes as early as 7:30)

ibrandsguest Mar 30, 2014 3:41 pm

Early afternoon on Sundays, both today and a few weeks ago (12:15pm today and about 2pm earlier).

The D concourse security lane was totally closed today.

What's irksome is that there are 2 lanes at the C concourse, but the old Preferred lane is closed, leaving one lane that's "Preferred" in name only (but for everyone). All that needs to be done to restore the old Preferred lane is to just remove the rope that shuts off the lane. There has always been just 1 TSA ID-checker there, so that doesn't need to change.

t325 Apr 10, 2014 12:17 pm

What's a good minimum connection time for international to domestic at CLT for US passport holders with checked bags, arriving from Cancun? Seems like a lot of connections US is offering are around the 90 minute mark, would that be sufficient?