Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are AAdvantage Gold Benefits? Are they worth it?

C/Y 2019 Gold status requirements: $3,000 EQD* earned, AND 30 segments or 25,000 EQ Miles

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Members no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American during the qualifying year to receive AA elite status. This requirement ended in 2017.

Status will last the status year when status is earned and the following status year. E.g. Status earned in 2020 will end 31 Jan 2022.

American Airlines AAdvantage Gold benefits, as stated on aa.com (chart), as of September 2015:

Preferred benefits:
  • Half price Main Cabin Extra or Free within 24 hours (extends to up to 8 traveling companions) (NOTE: 50% discount ends 5 Sep 2018)
  • Courtesy Preferred Seats
  • One (1) free checked bag (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (as of 1 Aug 2016, only applies to EQM)
  • 25% elite mileage bonus (7 miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for one (1) bags
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
  • NOTE Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines NOT available
Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 24-hour upgrade window
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Use earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 24 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Gold and Platinum members will get four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 elite-qualifying miles you earn during the membership year after you achieve status.
Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats 24 hours prior to departure; 50% discounted otherwise (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers
Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • NOTE: Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit
oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to archive of older posts from this thread.
Print Wikipost

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:02 am

I'm considering doing the $15k spend challenge that starts today to maintain Gold (which I reached pre-COVID but have never used). Obviously, I get the free checked bag and better boarding status with the Aviator card, but how much do people value the ability to sit in the preferred seats or the priority check-in, especially for those not road warriors? Seems AA makes more and more seats "preferred" except for the back third of the plane. Now that I read that same-day standby is available to everyone, it is making me rethink going for it.

I'd love to board earlier because it seems half the plane boards before Zone 5 (at least the routes I fly for business) but that's not as much a deal breaker anymore because of COVID.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
I'm considering doing the $15k spend challenge that starts today to maintain Gold (which I reached pre-COVID but have never used). Obviously, I get the free checked bag and better boarding status with the Aviator card, but how much do people value the ability to sit in the preferred seats or the priority check-in, especially for those not road warriors? Seems AA makes more and more seats "preferred" except for the back third of the plane. Now that I read that same-day standby is available to everyone, it is making me rethink going for it.

I'd love to board earlier because it seems half the plane boards before Zone 5 (at least the routes I fly for business) but that's not as much a deal breaker anymore because of COVID.
If you can easily do the spend and aren't too keen on optimizing credit card returns for that $15k, I'd say go for it.

Otherwise Gold bennies are easily got with any of the credit cards, particularly the Citi Exec (with the bonus of Admirals Club membership).

Unless you're in a super niche hub and/or fly at unusual times (think Saturday afternoons/evenings), you're never getting upgraded.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
As a member considering a status match challenge to AA Gold from the Hyatt Program I would like to know how much 500 mile upgrade "stickers" cost currently. The AA website doesn't seem to want to tell me unless I already have an elite status.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rtpflyer
As a member considering a status match challenge to AA Gold from the Hyatt Program I would like to know how much 500 mile upgrade "stickers" cost currently. The AA website doesn't seem to want to tell me unless I already have an elite status.
They want to charge me $40 per sticker. Not sure if you'll be able to see it but this is where I found it.
rtpflyer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by rtpflyer
It's $40 per 500 mile sticker. You also earn 4 stickers for every 12,500 EQM's earned in the program year.
rtpflyer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by VFR
Standby is free for all customers within the US now -- see the aa.com page on same day travel change. Revenue standbys are pretty high priority and are ordered by elite status, so you should have a decent shot.
Got it! Thanks! I just change my flight. I leave from FLL at 1:08pm. I have go back home to watch Pimple Popper TV show on next Wednesday night at 9pm. I don’t want missed it.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by milesforhire
They want to charge me $40 per sticker. Not sure if you'll be able to see it but this is where I found it.
Right, that's where I tried to look. Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 9:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MASTERNC

You'll also get free MCE at check in. While upgrades are harder these days due to more people flying F, getting MCE isn't as hard due to fewer elites in general flying in Y.
N830MH likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:19 pm

I think getting MCE is easier then ever right now. There's lots of leisure flyers paying with their own money not flying for business. This leaves plenty of people who have elite status (from flying for work) but want to save the $$ money and just fly whatever is cheaper and N/S right now. I think getting MCE is easier then ever on most routes. You see flights packed but MCE has been easier. This is a nice bump for GOLD status until business travelers return. Once they return MCE will one again be much harder.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy
Are there any ancillary perks to Gold that I might not be thinking of?

I have to travel on AA for work, but it's all cheap/short flights (PHX-SJC mostly), which does nothing for me in terms of loyalty point accrual; I've been Platinum for years but may not even make Gold this year on work trips alone. If I factor in my personal (read: non-reimbursed) travel, I'd likely earn Gold in 2022 and 2023, but definitely not Platinum.

Ever since the program change I've been eligible for zero upgrades (and generally am dozens down the list). Free MCE is usually easy to get and I do like the legroom. An extra two points per mile is nice I guess. I've got the credit card so bags are free regardless of status. What else might I be missing? I'd like to be able to justify the slightly higher cost of going with AA over someone like Spirit (with Big Front Seat), or just the autonomy of being carrier-agnostic, but I want to make sure I know what I'm leaving behind.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I mean it just depends. Yes on paper GLD isn't that much better than a credit card especially if you fly for business during peak times. I guess just comes down to do you want to be loyal to AAdvantage? Do you want to try to redeem miles for QR or CX J class (assuming the latter ever becomes an option again)? Do you want the option of lounge access with the Citi Exec card? If you don't care about these things then yeah you might just be better off buying the cheapest ticket.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Dedicated check-in lines.

Ability to stand-by for a later same-day flight without charge -- although if AA still has an informal "flat tire" rule, I'm not sure how much of a benefit this is.

Gold -- or higher -- AAdvantage status would enable you to ditch the credit card in favor of one that might be more lucrative for travel/dining charges, and still get a free checked bag.

For me, the free MCE seats at check-in are now the most valuable benefit of my LTG status. If you're tall, those 31"-pitch seats in "regular" Coach are very uncomfortable.

Edited to add: And if JetBlue in fact acquires Spirit -- and converts Spirit aircraft to JetBlue configurations -- then your AAdvantage Gold status will give you some nice benefits when flying on JetBlue flights formerly operated by Spirit.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 15, 2022 at 7:10 pm
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
I have to travel on AA for work, but it's all cheap/short flights (PHX-SJC mostly), which does nothing for me in terms of loyalty point accrual; I've been Platinum for years but may not even make Gold this year on work trips alone. If I factor in my personal (read: non-reimbursed) travel, I'd likely earn Gold in 2022 and 2023, but definitely not Platinum.

Ever since the program change I've been eligible for zero upgrades (and generally am dozens down the list). Free MCE is usually easy to get and I do like the legroom. An extra two points per mile is nice I guess. I've got the credit card so bags are free regardless of status. What else might I be missing? I'd like to be able to justify the slightly higher cost of going with AA over someone like Spirit (with Big Front Seat), or just the autonomy of being carrier-agnostic, but I want to make sure I know what I'm leaving behind.
Is Spirit actually still cheaper once you pay for your checked bag and/or carry-on, and maybe drink a glass of water on the plane?

Even ignoring Spirit, being carrier-agnostic means that you are paying for the equivalent of MCE on every flight, and either paying to check your bags or paying $400/year in credit card fees (AA, DL, UA, and AS cards). After all that, are you still actually saving any money?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
I've been Platinum for years but may not even make Gold this year on work trips alone. If I factor in my personal (read: non-reimbursed) travel, I'd likely earn Gold in 2022 and 2023, but definitely not Platinum.
If you can make GLD through flying, it's trivially easy to make PLT by earning LPs through hotels and shopping.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by vasantn
If you can make GLD through flying, it's trivially easy to make PLT by earning LPs through hotels and shopping.
I'm not sure I agree at all. The hotels that give miles tend to be pretty pricey, at least compared to my usual travel patterns. Unless you want to get into manufactured spending with gift cards, what can you really shop for? At least for me - $1K at Best Buy every few years when I want to replace a hi-fi component. If I choose to, I can buy some housewares and such at Walmart. You can't get points for theater or opera tickets, or gasoline, or service on your car. Maybe by "shopping" you meant credit card points, but those come at a cost; it's trivial to get a 2% cashback card, so every 1000LP's and RDM's costs you $20.

Now personally, I'd rather walk than fly without at least MCE. And I do kind of like the new system because I can at least MS my way to gold if I decide to stop flying so much, and then I'll get MCE for free at T-24 (right?).

But no, Gold is not exactly the cat's meow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.