FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/896650-what-aa-gold-gld-benefits-they-worth-master-thd.html)

taseas Sep 4, 2015 3:22 pm

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

1 Attachment(s)
If I make AA Gold, does the 50% off MCE and free Preferred seats apply to travelling companions on the same reservation?

aschuett Sep 4, 2015 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by taseas (Post 25378631)
If I make AA Gold, does the 50% off MCE and free Preferred seats apply to travelling companions on the same reservation?

Yes.

As an AAdvantage elite status member, you have complimentary access to Preferred seats which have standard legroom and are more favorably located throughout the Main Cabin. We set aside a number of these seats on every flight for our premium customers and anyone traveling on full-fare Economy Class tickets. This benefit also applies to up to 8 passengers traveling with you in the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold members receive:
50% discount when reserving a Main Cabin Extra seat in advance
Complimentary access within 24 hours of departure if seats are available
This benefit also applies to up to 8 passengers traveling in the same reservation with you.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...fits-chart.jsp

taseas Sep 4, 2015 3:30 pm

Thank you, I had looked at that page, but apparently didn't click on the right link for further details. Thanks for the information!

RichardB4 Sep 14, 2015 12:56 am

Thinking on applying for the gold AA within few days.

But wondering maybe I should wait... Does AA offer a bonus for this card like instead of 25k for signing up, get 35k or something?? Basically do they do promotions for this card

bosman Sep 14, 2015 7:27 am

Originally Posted by RichardB4 (Post 25421270)
Thinking on applying for the gold AA within few days.

But wondering maybe I should wait... Does AA offer a bonus for this card like instead of 25k for signing up, get 35k or something?? Basically do they do promotions for this card

It appears that you are confusing AA Gold Elite Status (the focus of this thread) with the AA Gold credit card. While there may be some benefits that overlap, do not presume that the benefits listed at the Wiki at the top of this page apply to holders of the credit card.

zld Sep 21, 2015 12:32 pm

Does anyone know if Main Cabin Extra seats become available at no charge (to Golds) at T-24 for the first flight in the itinerary (if connecting), or on a flight-by-flight basis? Trying to figure out how many T-24s I need to count down to. Thanks in advance!

Austin787 Sep 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by zld (Post 25458041)
Does anyone know if Main Cabin Extra seats become available at no charge (to Golds) at T-24 for the first flight in the itinerary (if connecting), or on a flight-by-flight basis? Trying to figure out how many T-24s I need to count down to. Thanks in advance!

It is on a flight-by-flight basis so you would need to select MCE for each segment in your itinerary at T-24 before departure time. Do not check in until T-24 for the last flight in your itinerary. AA.com does not allow seat changes once checked in.

akarneboge Sep 23, 2015 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787 (Post 25458329)
It is on a flight-by-flight basis so you would need to select MCE for each segment in your itinerary at T-24 before departure time. Do not check in until T-24 for the last flight in your itinerary. AA.com does not allow seat changes once checked in.

They do, and have for some time now. That was true maybe 2-3 years ago

Austin787 Sep 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by akarneboge (Post 25469747)
They do, and have for some time now. That was true maybe 2-3 years ago

On a recent AUS-DFW-YVR itinerary, after checking in at T-24 for AUS-DFW, I returned at T-24 for DFW-YVR and tried to change my seat. I got a see agent or kiosk to change your seat assignment message and aa.com would not update my seats. Same thing happened on my return itinerary. I used to be able to change my seat on aa.com even after check in; maybe something changed.

United747 Sep 24, 2015 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787 (Post 25470374)
On a recent AUS-DFW-YVR itinerary, after checking in at T-24 for AUS-DFW, I returned at T-24 for DFW-YVR and tried to change my seat. I got a see agent or kiosk to change your seat assignment message and aa.com would not update my seats. Same thing happened on my return itinerary. I used to be able to change my seat on aa.com even after check in; maybe something changed.

I wonder if it's because you were flying int'l? Have you been able to change on solely domestic trips?

captaink Sep 24, 2015 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 25473572)
I wonder if it's because you were flying int'l? Have you been able to change on solely domestic trips?

I was able to change my seat via app and website multiple times after checking in on a NRT-ORD-DFW trip earlier this month.

carnivaltime Nov 24, 2015 7:51 am

Boost to Gold status

Boost to Gold status for only $649
AAdvantage Gold We're approaching the end of the year, and because you're so close to reaching American Airlines AAdvantageŽ Gold status for the 2016 membership year, we want to offer you an opportunity to step up to the next level.

Act now, and we'll boost your status to Gold for only $649. As an AAdvantage Gold member, you'll enjoy even greater benefits including upgrades, free checked bags and much more.

Once you purchase this boost, you can start enjoying your new status and benefits within only five business days. Your status will be valid through February 2017

I just got this email from AA Advantage

Is it worth it? I have over 250,000 miles with AA but no status. I get one free checked bag with my Executive advantage card but maybe I am missing something- minus the upgrades I don't see much major difference. I guess having gold status it will get me closer to platinum and higher if I so desire. I have also seen posting about mileage run-if I can do one of those will I be able to get the gold status? Thanks for info.

Microwave Nov 24, 2015 7:57 am

Originally Posted by carnivaltime (Post 25764733)
AAdvantage Gold We're approaching the end of the year, and because you're so close to reaching American Airlines AAdvantageŽ Gold status for the 2016 membership year, we want to offer you an opportunity to step up to the next level.

Act now, and we'll boost your status to Gold for only $649. As an AAdvantage Gold member, you'll enjoy even greater benefits including upgrades, free checked bags and much more.

Once you purchase this boost, you can start enjoying your new status and benefits within only five business days. Your status will be valid through February 2017

Is it worth it? I have over 250,000 miles with AA but no status. I get one free checked bag with my Executive advantage card but maybe I am missing something- minus the upgrades I don't see much major difference. I guess having gold status it will get me closer to platinum and higher if I so desire. I have also seen posting about mileage run-if I can do one of those will I be able to get the gold status? Thanks for info.

As questions such as this do come up with some regularity, there's a thread for just this type of question. I'll go ahead and merge yours in.

~Moderator

United747 Nov 24, 2015 8:51 am

As a gold right now, the one benefit I value is same-day standby for free. That saves $75 each time I do it. I don't really value upgrades too much since I usually only fly sub 500 mile flights and FC on those is just a bigger seat for 50 minutes.

At $650, I would not do it. You could look at the AmEx Plat card or JPMorgan Ritz card. Those might be better alternatives, you can use the incidentals credits each card provides to choose MCE or get a drink in coach or food at the AC.

CLTRob Nov 24, 2015 12:23 pm

I was Platinum this year and received lots of upgrades - on most flights. I know two people who were both Gold this year, and travel on business often, and neither have been upgraded the first time during 2015.

I don't have enough for Platinum next year but will be Gold. I tried to boost, pay my way, to Platinum but AA has changed the requirements and I'm not eligible for the boost.

Since no one I know that is Gold, personally or on this board, that have received upgrades during 2015, I've decided not to have loyalty to one carrier going toward. Instead, I will select flights based on fare and schedule and not airline. For business travel, once I ticket via my corporate website, I will go to AA or DL's website and pay my way to MCE or Comfort +. For leisure tickets, I'll purchase either First/Business Class or Comfort +/MCE at the time of purchase.