Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are AAdvantage Gold Benefits? Are they worth it?

C/Y 2019 Gold status requirements: $3,000 EQD* earned, AND 30 segments or 25,000 EQ Miles

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Members no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American during the qualifying year to receive AA elite status. This requirement ended in 2017.

Status will last the status year when status is earned and the following status year. E.g. Status earned in 2020 will end 31 Jan 2022.

American Airlines AAdvantage Gold benefits, as stated on aa.com (chart), as of September 2015:

Preferred benefits:
  • Half price Main Cabin Extra or Free within 24 hours (extends to up to 8 traveling companions) (NOTE: 50% discount ends 5 Sep 2018)
  • Courtesy Preferred Seats
  • One (1) free checked bag (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (as of 1 Aug 2016, only applies to EQM)
  • 25% elite mileage bonus (7 miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for one (1) bags
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Discounted Admirals Club membership
  • NOTE Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines NOT available
Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 24-hour upgrade window
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Use earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 24 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Gold and Platinum members will get four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 elite-qualifying miles you earn during the membership year after you achieve status.
Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats 24 hours prior to departure; 50% discounted otherwise (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers
Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • NOTE: Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit
oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to archive of older posts from this thread.
Print Wikipost

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
If it was me, the ability to have free checked bags (especially when I travel with family), the bonus miles, the ability to upgrade some fights, and the ability to have at least preferred seats would be a yes for me.
I agree, I think $300 is a low enough number that you'll be able to recoup the value during your travels as a Gold. You'll get Group 4 boarding, the occasional upgrade, better seats (preferred at booking, decent chance at MCE), a free bag and also better treatment during IROPs and OW Ruby if you go overseas. I'd do it.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:50 pm

Is it worth it? Only need 1800 miles to 25K, but $1200 short on Dollars

I was going to do a miles run to get the additional 1800 miles, but then learned about the Dollar requirement, which they did not have when I used to fly all the time before.

I might do about 5-8 flights next year, some might not even be on American Airlines, since I fly out of LAX, and it isn't a hub.

So is it worth spending the $1200 money for me to get Gold status?

Thanks

Mark
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
LAX is an AA hub FYI. It all depends if your only 1200/3000 I dont think the run would be the best.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:56 pm

No. ..
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
On this, I'll vote no.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I wouldn’t do it.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mark99999
I was going to do a miles run to get the additional 1800 miles, but then learned about the Dollar requirement, which they did not have when I used to fly all the time before.

I might do about 5-8 flights next year, some might not even be on American Airlines, since I fly out of LAX, and it isn't a hub.

So is it worth spending the $1200 money for me to get Gold status?

Thanks

Mark
no.
- signed gold status member for last 3 years, and next year.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
LAX is an AA hub FYI. It all depends if your only 1200/3000 I dont think the run would be the best.
I would be $1800/$3000 so far, and would have to spend $1200 more to get to gold.

To everyone who responded so quickly. Thank you so much for your help and input.

I am not going to do it.

Mark
Dedicated likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, take the $1200 you saved by not doing a mileage run and just buy up to F on a few of your trips next year.
asf-07, mark99999 and no1cub17 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
It's very likely that you'll get an offer to buy gold. Have you checked?

The only way I'd probably do it is if you have a lot of short trips planned and will use the free standby and checked bag benefits, and maybe free MCE at 24 hours.

I say "short" because if you are taking several long flights, you'll earn gold partway through the year. You're only benefitting until you've hit that threshold.

I bought it last year but I had a particular reason. AA designates certain seats as "For preferreds only" and that includes 23A/23F on certain A321 configurations and I really like that seat (there is no seat in front of it, so you have infinite legroom). So that plus the free standby was worth it to me. But it cost me $700, not $1200.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mark99999
I would be $1800/$3000 so far, and would have to spend $1200 more to get to gold.

To everyone who responded so quickly. Thank you so much for your help and input.

I am not going to do it.

Mark
I am in a similar boat; about 2500 miles and $800 short of Gold for next year. I do see quite a bit of value in status, but not that much.

However, one alternative I am considering is a vacation/MR in Jan, 2019. CX has a Black Friday (expiring 11/27) sale of $500 off Premium Economy flights. LAX/SFO to SIN (via HKG) is about $1k with the discount and would net the required EQM and EQD (as it is distance-based) for Gold thru Jan 2021. Though technically you aren't re-qualifying, your benefits won't lapse.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Aero137
I am in a similar boat; about 2500 miles and $800 short of Gold for next year. I do see quite a bit of value in status, but not that much.

However, one alternative I am considering is a vacation/MR in Jan, 2019. CX has a Black Friday (expiring 11/27) sale of $500 off Premium Economy flights. LAX/SFO to SIN (via HKG) is about $1k with the discount and would net the required EQM and EQD (as it is distance-based) for Gold thru Jan 2021. Though technically you aren't re-qualifying, your benefits won't lapse.
Gold gets you more seat option, but then so does $800, or $1200 in the previous poster's case
You can get baggage with a branded credit card, so that value is limited.
Of course, if you really want to spend $1000 to go to SIN (roundtrip in PE for that price?), then go for it, but I wouldn't do it just for the benefits of Gold.
That is a long way to go, even in PE, and, as gold, you are still going to be in standard economy for your benefit year, unless you buy up to MCE.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I have a buy up offer for $749. I have only flown 13,290 miles this year as I have switched mostly to Delta.

I do fly AA occasionally, though, and could see doing 10,000 to 15,000 EQM on American. This year I have used standby a few times, checked bags (I don't have an AA credit card currently) and booked reward flights within 21 days. I also have gotten some decent upgrades, and was Op Uped recently on an award flight (I am pretty sure I would not have been Op Uped without status).

Should I do this?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:01 pm

Purchasing status - worth it for international upgrades?

AA has invited me to purchase Gold status,

I plan to take at least one international round trip from JFK this year. Will gold status help me get free upgrades on international trips?

In other words, am I more likely to get upgraded from economy to premium economy or business if I have gold status?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bomania
AA has invited me to purchase Gold status,

I plan to take at least one international round trip from JFK this year. Will gold status help me get free upgrades on international trips?

In other words, am I more likely to get upgraded from economy to premium economy or business if I have gold status?
No. I'm sure there's some freak scenario that happened to one lucky Gold member that benefited from their status in an oversold situation.
But, no, throw that money at a miles + copay upgrade for your flight and hope for the best.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.