Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA 🔹Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it?

Platinum status requirements*: in one calendar year, earn 50,000 EQ Miles or fly 60 EQ Segments (in 2017, AND earn $6,000 EQDs)

C/Y Platinum status requirements: $6,000 EQD*, PLUS 60 segments or 50,000 EQ Miles

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Members no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American during the qualifying year to receive elite status; this requirement was eliminated in 2017.

Status will last that status year and the following status year - status earned in 2018 will last through 31 Jan 2020.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (as of 1 August 2016, only applies to EQM)
  • 60% elite mileage bonus NOTE: (8 miles per "fare dollar" (base fare + carrier imposed fees, not taxes) as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld benefits (see below)
  • Alaska Airlines benefits (see below)
Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • NOTE: Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines NOT available
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 48-hour upgrade window (changed from 72 hours in 2017)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Use earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours (48 in 2017)
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Gold and Platinum members will get four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 elite-qualifying miles you earn during the membership year after you achieve status.
Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers
Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • NOTE: Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit
oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges
*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to AA Platinum Member's Guide in PDF form (2013).

Link to Archive of older posts from this thread.

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

What are AA 🔹Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by grahampros
Let's get back to the original point. paying for status from the OP's situation does not seem to make sense. Doesn't even fly enough on UA to get status. The OP is probably hopping for that uppgrade is the reason for the post. reality is unlikely to happen.
If he doesn't get an upgrade, will the OP be hopping mad?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other benefit of Platinum is the ability to opt-in to the TSA pre-check program for AA flights (not a Gold benefit last I checked). Of course this also works if you have Global Entry, but IME it's smoother (when flying AA) if you're qualified by status.

But if you're not going to fly AA enough to use the perks and to earn any 500-mile upgrades (which don't start accruing until after you have status), then it's probably not worth it. AFAIK, Gold still can pre-assign exit rows (but not Main Cabin Extra).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The other benefit of Platinum is the ability to opt-in to the TSA pre-check program for AA flights (not a Gold benefit last I checked). Of course this also works if you have Global Entry, but IME it's smoother (when flying AA) if you're qualified by status.
OT: does this work when flying AS as an AA codeshare, i.e. out of Seattle?

But if you're not going to fly AA enough to use the perks and to earn any 500-mile upgrades (which don't start accruing until after you have status), then it's probably not worth it. AFAIK, Gold still can pre-assign exit rows (but not Main Cabin Extra).
Gold has access to MCE until the end of 2013: http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Everybody is bringing up better upgrade chances, but is forgetting to mention that you need stickers for this. Somebody who makes PLT the hard way (50K EQM 50EQS) will most likely have a bunch (between 0-20 depending on how many he/she used as a gld along the way). But somebody who does a challenge won't have any stickers. At $30/sticker to buy, it would be just another cost to even get the CHANCE to upgrade.

To me the only deciding factor here would be lounge access internationally (because the bonus miles won't make a difference either, unless flying a lot). And as other have mentioned, unless flying internationally a lot, probably cheaper to pay for the pass then the $500 for the challenge+fare.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Everybody is bringing up better upgrade chances, but is forgetting to mention that you need stickers for this. Somebody who makes PLT the hard way (50K EQM 50EQS) will most likely have a bunch (between 0-20 depending on how many he/she used as a gld along the way). But somebody who does a challenge won't have any stickers. At $30/sticker to buy, it would be just another cost to even get the CHANCE to upgrade.
Good point worth repeating. Upgrading on AA can be expensive for non-EXPs. And these days you can often buy first class for only a small premium above what the stickers would cost you, and you don't have to sweat the waitlist. That said, the benefit of the high cost of upgrades is that you're more likely to clear than if you had equivalent status on another airline like UA or DL because there's generally less "competition" for the upgrade seats.

Originally Posted by djibouti
OT: does this work when flying AS as an AA codeshare, i.e. out of Seattle?
You would check in with AS and have an AS boarding pass for this flight, so it would only work if (1) AS participates in PreCheck (which I don't know), and (2) you had your Global Entry PassID in your AS profile, and I think you need to have it in there before you check in. I'd be very surprised if your AA status alone would qualify you for PreCheck on AS.

Gold has access to MCE until the end of 2013: http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp
Ah, thanks for the correction.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
OK, just to hijack the thread slightly, can anyone explain what the point of a status challenge is?! As in, why would I pay money to do one?

If I'm going to be flying to China in April, Australia in May, and New Zealand (via Oz in August & Fiji in Dec) plus half a dozen US flights then I'll rack up the miles for PLT after the first Oz trip in May: wouldn't I get PLT status at that point anyway? Surely I'm missing something here, but I've read through the various stickies and nowhere does it say why anyone would pay money to do this challenge.
The point of paying for a challenge would be that you would get status earlier that you normally would, and thus could enjoy the benefits (extra RDMs, MCE seats, potential upgrades, priority boarding, etc.) for a few extra flights.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Advice needed: Should I do a MR?

Halfway into the year, and I am halfway to Aadvantage Gold.

Here's the thing: we have the Citi Aadvantage Executive card, the one where you get access to the Admiral's Club, priority check-in, free checked bags, etc.

Here's the other thing: I rarely fly Y anyway, and on longer flights (TATL, LatAm), neither does DH. When I'm flying domestic short haul, I usually fly F; for international, we fly J.

I will be flying to SJU in July, then a quick hop to Pittsburgh, then ending the summer going to EZE. I can probably fit in a MR or two to get myself to Plat between July and September, but I am not sure if it would be worth it to do so. I have only been back to American for about a year and a half now, and my TATLs have been on SQ during that time, but I got a little taste of the new F on a short haul recently, and if that is what is to come in the future . . . well, American may be getting more of my attention on TATL, too. I just don't know if going for Platinum is worth it. Basically, I am confused.

Advice would be appreciated.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I will offer my suggestion, such as it is. I represent a minority opinion. I'd like to bet that most will disagree with me.

In my opinion, every minute spent in Airport World is a minute of tedium. Hurry. Wait. Hurry. Wait. Hurry. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. etc.

Getting elite status relieves some of that tedium. You wait in shorter lines. You sit in cushier chairs. However, it's still Hurry. Wait. Hurry. Wait. Hurry. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. etc.

As a LT Gold, I ask myself this: Why put myself through hours of Airport World Hurry/Wait tedium for no reason other than just to make things a little bit easier for me next time?

With Plat, I'd get to board a few minutes before the Golds, which I already am anyway. Are those few minutes worth hours of tedium?

With Plat, I'd be able to enter lounges even when flying Coach internationally. Are those few hours in a lounge worth hours of tedium?

Personally, I never do mileage runs. I fly when I need to fly for business, pleasure, family visits, whatever. I don't fly just to put myself through Airport World for no reason other than miles or status.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
what is your home airport?

there is a platinum challenge.....get 10k eqp in a 3 month period does it....if you start after 15 june, the status goes thru feb 2015....

check the mi to eze....might get it on that trip flying in front.....

info in the threads at the top....under $300 iirc....

check w/aadv cs....phone # in the stickies....

edit....daughter said the cost was $240 for challenge.....probably cheaper than a mr & eze from anywhere in the 48 states will do it on aa metal i think...

Last edited by clacko; Jun 7, 2013 at 5:17 pm
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
My home airport is JFK, and I think EZE will do it, since we are flying in J. Hmmm . . .

Might as well, I guess.

Looks like it's over 13,000 miles R/T with the 25% J bonus. That should do it.

Last edited by ysolde; Jun 7, 2013 at 5:50 pm
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
Advice needed: Should I do a MR?

plat challenge JFK-EZE in J is a no-brainer...that over a mile-run all day long in my book. Since it is EQP not EQM your J ticket will take care of any concerns there...
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Starting in 2014, Golds no longer get free MCE, so if you fly enough domestically, PLT is well worth a challenge or MR. I fly Alaska periodically, PLT allows me to book an exit row.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks guys! Advice and information appreciated and assimilated, as always!

Best,

ysolde
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by diver858
Starting in 2014, Golds no longer get free MCE, so if you fly enough domestically, PLT is well worth a challenge or MR. I fly Alaska periodically, PLT allows me to book an exit row.
Good advice normally but the OP said that they usually fly in F domestically and in J for TATL so MCE probably wouldn't come in to play.

A thing to bear in mind is that most of the benefits that come with status also come with premium tickets (priority access, international lounge access, baggage allowance etc....) so you should probably consider that when evaluating the merits of paying a little extra to get to PLT.

One thing that PLT will get you that you can't get with a premium ticket is a 100% mileage bonus (on top of the class of service bonus you'll get for booking premium tickets). If you have a use for more AAdvantage miles then this may be worth the extra $$ that you'll be paying to do a PLT challenge. Other than that you should already have everything you need if you're paying for F & J.

Last edited by Stripy; Jun 7, 2013 at 9:44 pm
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by ysolde
Halfway into the year, and I am halfway to Aadvantage Gold.

Here's the thing: we have the Citi Aadvantage Executive card, the one where you get access to the Admiral's Club, priority check-in, free checked bags, etc.

Advice would be appreciated.
By the way, do you spend > $40k on your Executive card? If so then don't forget about the 10k EQM that's coming your way as well...

(...and if you're trying for PLT, why not go whole-hog for EXP? )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.