Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: What are AAdvantage PLT / Platinum Benefits? Worth it? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Yes, I've read the official AA documents, and I've read the wiki page. And I still have some questions.

I currently have 39K+ EQM this year, so I'm Gold, for the first time. I'm really enjoying the exit row seating and the early boarding. I've also tried the sticker upgrades, which seemed nice, though not a game-changer for me.

So the question is, should I pay attention to my flights the rest of the year to make sure I make Platinum? Executive Platinum seems like where the real benefits are, and there's no way I'm making that.

The two big differences between Gold and Platinum seem to be the elite status bonus (25% vs 100% is pretty huge) and the 72 hrs confirmation of upgrade vs. 24 hrs. Any thing else people find really significant?

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You have already pointed out the two best benefits, but if you travel (AA version!) internationally, as a Platinum / oneworld Sapphire you have access to oneworld lounges the day of international flight.

Others will undoubtedly reply with their favorite perks.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:53 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Platinum members are offered a deeper discount on Admirals Club memberships.

Higher priority on the waitlists (stand by, Irregular Operations)
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by HNL
Platinum members are offered a deeper discount on Admirals Club memberships.

Higher priority on the waitlists (stand by, Irregular Operations)
And higher priority for upgrades.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Along these same lines in regard to Irregular Operations in particular do y'all think that status places you in a better position than holding a full fare F ticket when the fight for seats on the next flight begins? I can do a Platinum challenge next year easily if I fly AA instead of BA back and forth to Europe.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Go for Plat if for no other reason than the Soft landing policy.

Hit plat this year, enjoy it next year, then drop no lower than Gold the year after, regardless of how much you fly.

Getting any status is important these days so you can board in the first groups to win the WOBS.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I think an important question to ask yourself is what your flying will be like next year. If you're planning on a lot of travel, going for Platinum is an easy choice. Even if you're not, the soft landing may be worthwhile.

In my opinion, the 100% mileage bonus is huge. Say you fly 50,000 miles next year, by earning Platinum now you're setting yourself up for approximately 38,000 additional miles. Even if you only fly 25,000 miles, it would be approximately 18,000 additional miles - not a lot, but not absolute peanuts either.

As others have mentioned, the lounge access while traveling internationally in Y is nice.

Higher priority in irregular ops/standby is very big.

I tend not to upgrade often on AA so the higher upgrade priority doesn't mean much to me, but it may to you.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
The biggest benefit for me is the 100% bonus vs. 25% bonus. I maybe get one upgrade every other year as Platinum that I wouldn't get as Gold. I could buy lounge access for my international flights for $100/year. I don't standby much, and don't encounter irrops much. If you regularly fly 40,000 miles per year, in my opinion it is worth it to fly 10,000 more miles to get Plat. Instead of receiving 50,000 redeemable miles (40,000 + 25%) you receive 100,000 (50,000 + 100%). The extra 50,000 miles are worth between $500-1000. You should be able to fly the added miles to get Platinum for that much if you shop carefully, or in your case, it appears you can get there just by being careful to channel your flying to AA.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by TedErnst
So the question is, should I pay attention to my flights the rest of the year to make sure I make Platinum? Executive Platinum seems like where the real benefits are, and there's no way I'm making that.
PLT is where the real benefits begin. Lounge access, 72 hr. upgrade window, etc.

When you say "pay att'n to my flights"...do you have enough travel planned the rest of the year to make it, albeit on other airlines? If so, then by all means stick to AA, you'll won't regret it.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Along these same lines in regard to Irregular Operations in particular do y'all think that status places you in a better position than holding a full fare F ticket when the fight for seats on the next flight begins? I can do a Platinum challenge next year easily if I fly AA instead of BA back and forth to Europe.
Here are a few references with regard to your question:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...3#post10121143

AA Wiki - PALL list:
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index..._list_%28AA%29
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPLT
At many airports only Plt and EXP are able to use the priority line at security. Speeds up a trip for sure.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Plts have access to A/Cs and OW clubs when traveling internationally - regardless of class of service flown.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
In my case, I had PLT for a few years, and when I dropped back to GLD, I didn't care.

But everyone's situation is different. In my case, I was lifetime GLD, so the soft landing didn't matter. I was flying only domestically, so the lounge access didn't matter. I was flying EXP-heavy routes, so even as a PLT, my upgrades were not clearing. At airports I was using, I could use the elite security lines even as a GLD. I had more redeemable miles than I could use, so the 100% bonus miles didn't matter much. Having higher standby order was nice, but not enough so to spend time & money of MR's to maintain PLT.

It all depends what your travel plans are for 2009.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I was GLD for a year prior to getting PLT and as a frequent international traveller access to the lounges was the benefit I was looking for when traveling in the cheap seats. Within the US this doesn't really mean too much though.

What I didn't think about was the difference in bonus miles. The jump from 25% to 100% is huge and since I've qualified as PLT (and now EXPLT) I really dread dropping back down. In a little over 12 months I have earned enough miles (including credit card miles and all the other places we get AAdvantage miles from) to get to Australia and back from Europe in First Class. The ability to earn miles has been a huge incentive for me to retain at least PLT.

If you're close to the PLT marker I would certainly try to break the 50k barrier. If only for the increased amount of miles you'll collect to use for upgrades/flights etc. If you stay as GLD and fly 40k miles next year you'll get 50k miles in your account. If you get up to PLT this year and still only fly 40k miles next year you'll be hitting 80k in miles. Certainly worth it IMO.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I am in almost the same situation as you, with travel booked up to 41,000 miles for the year.

One big benefit that no one has mentioned is the free adult beverages and snacks on Eagle flights...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.