Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA 🔹Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it?

Platinum status requirements*: in one calendar year, earn 50,000 EQ Miles or fly 60 EQ Segments (in 2017, AND earn $6,000 EQDs)

C/Y Platinum status requirements: $6,000 EQD*, PLUS 60 segments or 50,000 EQ Miles

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Members no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American during the qualifying year to receive elite status; this requirement was eliminated in 2017.

Status will last that status year and the following status year - status earned in 2018 will last through 31 Jan 2020.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (as of 1 August 2016, only applies to EQM)
  • 60% elite mileage bonus NOTE: (8 miles per "fare dollar" (base fare + carrier imposed fees, not taxes) as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld benefits (see below)
  • Alaska Airlines benefits (see below)
Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • NOTE: Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines NOT available
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 48-hour upgrade window (changed from 72 hours in 2017)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Use earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours (48 in 2017)
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Gold and Platinum members will get four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 elite-qualifying miles you earn during the membership year after you achieve status.
Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers
Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • NOTE: Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit
oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges
*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to AA Platinum Member's Guide in PDF form (2013).

Link to Archive of older posts from this thread.

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

What are AA 🔹Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The 100% mileage bonus is definitely a huge benefit, and you are correct that the $240 would end up paying for itself in free tickets. Also, when US Airways's Dividend miles combines with AAdvantage (anyone have a clue when this will happen?), I'll have a lot more miles that I can use for award travel. And getting 100% bonus would be nice.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I still think it's worth it to sign up for the PLT challenge. PLT benefits are great, and miles add up fast with the 100% bonus. Just my $0.02.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Soxfan15
I just want some feedback/advice to determine if platinum challenge is worth the price?
As this question and ones like it do come up from time to time, we maintain a consolidated thread on the topic, to which your question and its replies have been moved. Please do keep in mind that searching for an extant relevant thread is required of all members before starting a new thread.

~Moderator
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:45 am

Value of Plat for Mostly International Award Travel?

Hey everybody,

I have been reading through the threads on here all day, but I feel like I might be missing something. Is there much value for PLT for people that generally fly Award travel, and usually, with partners.

Usually, I fly with my gf from SFO->LAX->SYD via AA and Qantas using AA Award miles. We also fly to Europe occasionally using award miles.

It looks like there aren't really any upgrades that can be used if you are using award miles OR even if you are on another carrier (Qantas).

The biggest benefit looks like it is the 100% extra miles on cash bookings. We usually get most of our miles from CC Spend, and try to avoid cash bookings as much as possible. Is there much benefit to having PLT other than that for our specific situation?

It looks like doing some version of the BOS-ANC MR and adding on an LAX-BOS segment to it, we should be able to get just over 10k EQP for the PLT Challenge, and it would only cost something like $600+$240 for the challenge and the tickets. Throw in another 20k miles (10k + 100% for the MR which qualifies us as PLT) and thats somewhere around $400 worth of value back. Bringing the total cost to roughly $440 for PLT each + a bit of a pain doing the MR. Also, would there be any value in only 1 of us doing the run? Or would it just be a waste then (we always fly together).

Any thoughts on if it would be good for us? We really like lounges, and business class/first class. Exit rows are also a good benefit if we could choose them (I am 6'5").

And finally the 100% extra miles sounds like it could make cash tickets worth a bit more for us. If you figure you could get a RT ticket LAX-SYD for $1500 and get 15k + 15k miles = 30k miles. Then that starts to look pretty good since it only costs 37.5k miles to go lax-syd anyways. It is almost like buy 2 get 1 free.

Just looking for some advice. Thanks again for reading my post!

ps - If anyone thinks they know of another program to pursue status with, let us know please. We would be looking to get status through some sort of challenge or any way we can quickly "buy" status fairly easily. Sfo->Syd is our most common route, and we will be flying that likely 2x a year.

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This is often a good place to start.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...fits-chart.jsp

Free Main Cabin Extra and checked luggage allowance for those in your reservation would have monetary value.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
This is often a good place to start.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...fits-chart.jsp

Free Main Cabin Extra and checked luggage allowance for those in your reservation would have monetary value.

Thanks for the reply. Would that work even on partner flights and award flights? That is what I am worried about, because it looks like most of the benefits of status are only for people that are purchasing cash tickets on aa metal.

Any other tips/ideas?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I think you get the idea,
and are wise to question the value of status.

For many years I did MR's and chased status.
I stopped doing so after credit card bonuses
became bigger, and mileage-based upgrades much harder.

Via credit cards I generate more miles than I can burn,
and if you are already up front, status doesn't do much.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:10 am

You've done a pretty thoughtful analysis there. I was PLT for 2 years before achieving EXP. As PLT, the big benefit was indeed the 100% PLT bonus, but the runner-up was definitely Lounge access when travelling internationally. You can guest a travelling companion.

But PriorityPass will get you into lounges at the cities you've cited and you can get it free with a Premium credit card, or just buy it for $150. It's cheaper than doing an MR and a lot less painful than riding the back of the bus on the redeye ANC-DFW.

I'm going to assume that you've already decided not to buy paid airline tickets, as you've indicated. Given that, I'd advise against MRs to achieve PLT and suggest you look into PriorityPass for lounges.

But if it were me in your situation, I'd seriously consider thinking outside that box, buying your long-haul tickets with money, qualifying PLT "naturally" and either travelling more (greater number of trips per year), or better (higher class of travel, occasionally, because you've more miles to spend). Or you could embrace complete insanity and "find a way, whatever it takes" to achieve EXP and join us in The Promised Land.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ryanw777
Thanks for the reply. Would that work even on partner flights and award flights? That is what I am worried about, because it looks like most of the benefits of status are only for people that are purchasing cash tickets on aa metal.

Any other tips/ideas?
Another place to look is this one
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...false&from=Nav

You will get loungue access.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:43 am

you mentioned most everything. lounge access, ahead of GLD in every queue, 100% mileage bonus, but don't forget MCE.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I am a lowly Gold and usually fly Coach. Feel free to laugh at me.

As far as I am concerned, the main reason I wish I were Platinum is when flying through LHR. With Plat status on an international Y ticket, I could visit the BA lounge in T5.

I don't usually care about lounges. Usually I'm pretty much OK with just waiting in the regular departure gate area. If I have a lot of time, I'll just find a nice restaurant and treat myself to a meal. (On The Border at DFW. Yum.)

For the past 20+ years, I've made an annual trip to Düsseldorf from Los Angeles. I connect at LHR. (This year, I'm taking the new ORD-DUS flight.)

Following the 10 hour AA136 flight, I would really like to have lounge access in T5 as I wait for the DUS flight on BA. I would love to have a shower and a safe place to snooze. As far as I know (and please, someone, prove me wrong) I cannot get into that BA lounge for love nor money. I can't buy a day pass. I can't buy a membership. As an AAGold Y passenger, I have no means of getting in that lounge.

As an AAPlat passenger on an international ticket, I could.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Lounge access could be priceless in the case of irrops.

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

Following the 10 hour AA136 flight, I would really like to have lounge access in T5 as I wait for the DUS flight on BA. I would love to have a shower and a safe place to snooze. As far as I know (and please, someone, prove me wrong) I cannot get into that BA lounge for love nor money. I can't buy a day pass. I can't buy a membership. As an AAGold Y passenger, I have no means of getting in that lounge.

As an AAPlat passenger on an international ticket, I could.
Have you looked on the BA forum, there is a thread where you can enter a lounge as long as an FTer who can guest somebody into the BA lounges travel schedule coinsides with your schedule. It's a long shot but worth a try.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by startpacking
Have you looked on the BA forum, there is a thread where you can enter a lounge as long as an FTer who can guest somebody into the BA lounges travel schedule coinsides with your schedule. It's a long shot but worth a try.
Not a bad idea. I'll keep it in mind.

Maybe they'll discontinue the ORD-DUS flight, and I'll be back to connecting at LHR. At least I already know where all the Ladies Rooms are between T3 and T5.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If OP is doing award travel in coach, as seems to be the case, then PLT would be worth something for lounge access and better IROPs handling, phone service, etc. If OP uses premium cabin award tickets, there's less value.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
also, one important status benefit is with seating. As PLT, one gains not only free access to MCE on AA but complimentary access to the most desirable seats in coach and the option to reserve them ahead of the general public on most oneworld airlines - BA, QF come to mind here. On those 14-hour flights to Australia, I'd really make sure to sit in, say, 80 A/K on the QF A380s....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.