Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA 🔹Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it?

Platinum status requirements*: in one calendar year, earn 50,000 EQ Miles or fly 60 EQ Segments (in 2017, AND earn $6,000 EQDs)

C/Y Platinum status requirements: $6,000 EQD*, PLUS 60 segments or 50,000 EQ Miles

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Members no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American during the qualifying year to receive elite status; this requirement was eliminated in 2017.

Status will last that status year and the following status year - status earned in 2018 will last through 31 Jan 2020.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (as of 1 August 2016, only applies to EQM)
  • 60% elite mileage bonus NOTE: (8 miles per "fare dollar" (base fare + carrier imposed fees, not taxes) as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld benefits (see below)
  • Alaska Airlines benefits (see below)
Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • NOTE: Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines NOT available
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 48-hour upgrade window (changed from 72 hours in 2017)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Use earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours (48 in 2017)
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Gold and Platinum members will get four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 elite-qualifying miles you earn during the membership year after you achieve status.
Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers
Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • NOTE: Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit
oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges
*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to AA Platinum Member's Guide in PDF form (2013).

Link to Archive of older posts from this thread.

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

What are AA 🔹Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by BostonSammy
I think that you are failing to take into consideration that you will reach Platinum without the challenge probably by the end of June, so the challenge will only give you 3 extra months of Platinum.
Right, but in those 3 months if I fly 25K miles I'll get 18K miles more than I would if I didn't do the challenge, which is worth over 2x the challenge fee (at the current buying rate).
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
My mistake. You are correct. It is worth it. In addition to the extra miles, it will also give you access to Main Cabin Extra. I think Golds are no longer eligible.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by BostonSammy
My mistake. You are correct. It is worth it. In addition to the extra miles, it will also give you access to Main Cabin Extra. I think Golds are no longer eligible.
Golds are eligible until the end of February or March. Then they can buy MCE for 50% off in advance or get it complimentary at check-in, if any seats are left. But I'd spend the money for the challenge to get MCE when I book the flight.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
My challenge is starting on Jan 10th and it was only $200 to enroll.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Welcome to the AA Elite world, OP.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by huberw
At the current rate of $0.0275
I don't know where this rate came from. I would use something about half of this. As always YMMV.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:56 pm

Of course it's worth it

There are other benefits. Perhaps my PLT Challenge story will be illustrative.

My qualifying flight delivered me to Cancun. Several days later, I flew home to Toronto (as a newly-minted "Platinum", which was emblazoned on my boarding passes) via Chicago, in the winter. The situation, naturally, went sideways on us in Chicago. My partner didn't have Global Entry and the queue was 2.5 hours just to get to the Immigration agent. I had Global Entry so I breezed through and dealt with the airline. I gave up our seats on the scheduled flight. Therefore, we were voluntarily not boarding and we weren't entitled to confirmed seats on later flights. But because I was Platinum the GA confirmed us on the next flight out, which was the second-last of the night.

That plane had a lightning strike inbound to ORD and was grounded. Now, only the last flight of the night was scheduled and all pax from the second-last were waitlisted for it. Oversell was 40 people. WE got on.

Platinum Status is the only reason I slept in my own bed in Toronto that night, instead of a horrible bench in ORD, or an expensive hotel.

And don't forget lounge access on International itineraries, including Mexico City.

Last edited by yyzAAguy; Jan 3, 2014 at 7:57 pm Reason: add drama, mood lighting
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Soxfan15
Keep in mind that if you do a challenge and reach platinum in the next month or so, your status is only good until 2/2015. If you reach platinum after July, your status will be good until 2/2016.
but when I hit EXP or whatever the new 75K tier (speculation) is called later in the year that too will be good thru 2/2016, correct?
Originally Posted by Soxfan15
As long as you hit it after July I think, then it should be good until 2/2016.
It doesn't matter when you hit it in 2014. It will expire 2/2016. You are confusing regular qualification with challenge qualification.

Also, in the interest of accuracy, status earned through a challenge will be good through 2/2016 if the challenge start date is June 16 or later. It has nothing to do with when you "hit it."

We do strive for accuracy here; please cooperate! There are many people here who actually know stuff, so guessing is generally not required.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:09 am

FYI, called yesterday and started my challenge. I was able to get it back dated by 2 weeks to include a recent transcon flight I took and I was also able to get the $200 challenge fee waived because I expressed disappointment that I was not eligible for the recent targeted HVFP1 platinum promotion linked below. I spoke with a supervisor at the gold desk and she was wonderful.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ade-hvfp1.html

So I don't get the status immediately and I won't get the 20x 500 mile stickers like in the promo, but I will get plat status by 2/14 based on booked travel already and it didn't cost me anything out of pocket. I'd call that a win!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
So far in 2014 I have 4x JFK - SFO round trips booked before valentines day, and a SFO - DFW round trip in the middle. I did the math based on booked fares and I'll easily clear the 10K EQP required for a successful platinum challenge.

I'm wondering what others would do? Part with the $240 and get the slam-dunk platinum status by the middle of February, and enjoy faster 100% mile bonuses for all of my future flights this year, or keep my $240 and be patient until I hit platinum sometime around July?
As this question and ones like it do come up from time to time, we maintain a consolidated thread on the topic, to which your question and its replies have been moved. Please do keep in mind that searching for an extant relevant thread is required of all members before starting a new thread.

~Moderator
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Question What are the not-so-explicit and hidden benifits of PLT?

I was PLT in 2013, but I will have no status in 2014. I wasn't sure whether it might be worth paying-up $1200 for PLT buy-back. However, today I learned a couple of PLT benifits that I wasn't aware of, which makes me to re-think about the buy-back option:

1. Free International Lounge Access.
2. Without PLT, 500 Miles Upgrades cannnot be used from for any Economy class fare.

What are the other "not-so-well-known", or "not-so-explicit", or "Hidden" benifits of being PLT?

How about GLD? I think point (2) above works for GLD as well. I can also select Exit row seats anytime and MCE seats after the specified peiod (24 hours before deperture?) with GLD. So, what are the major benifits for being PLT? There is a big $550 difference between $650 and $1200. What are the explicit and hidden value of this extra $550?

On another note, I have a few trip to ORD-LHR coming-up. Can I use the lounge in ORD and LHR during the onward journey? Say, I get dinner at ORD's lounge, and then take a shower at LHR after landing? Will it work?

It will be great to have a thread with all the hidden benifits.

Also, my 2012-2014 PLT was by using a Challange. Do you think AA will let me sign-up for PLT challange again in June if I don't use the buy-back? Is there any policy about this?

Thanks everyone. I thought to put-up all my questions in one thread. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tintin
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Tintin
I was PLT in 2013, but I will have no status in 2014. I wasn't sure whether it might be worth paying-up $1200 for PLT buy-back. However, today I learned a couple of PLT benifits that I wasn't aware of, which makes me to re-think about the buy-back option:

1. Free International Lounge Access.
2. Without PLT, 500 Miles Upgrades cannnot be used from for any Economy class fare.

What are the other "not-so-well-known", or "not-so-explicit", or "Hidden" benifits of being PLT?
These are neither hidden nor not-so-explicit. All benefits are outlined:
http://www.aa.com/content/images/AAd...mber_Guide.pdf

How about GLD? I think point (2) above works for GLD as well. I can also select Exit row seats anytime and MCE seats after the specified peiod (24 hours before deperture?) with GLD. So, what are the major benifits for being PLT? There is a big $550 difference between $650 and $1200. What are the explicit and hidden value of this extra $550?
Lots of people have asked the same question are you:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

On another note, I have a few trip to ORD-LHR coming-up. Can I use the lounge in ORD and LHR during the onward journey? Say, I get dinner at ORD's lounge, and then take a shower at LHR after landing? Will it work?
Platinum members get departure but not arrival lounge access, as covered in the link above and:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ess-rules.html

It will be great to have a thread with all the hidden benifits.
Again, none are hiding.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
These are neither hidden nor not-so-explicit. All benefits are outlined:
http://www.aa.com/content/images/AAd...mber_Guide.pdf

Lots of people have asked the same question are you:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Platinum members get departure but not arrival lounge access, as covered in the link above and:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ess-rules.html

Again, none are hiding.
Thanks very much. So, there is no hidden benefit for $1200?

Thanks,
Tintin
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Thanks very much. So, there is no hidden benefit for $1200?

Thanks,
Tintin
PLT benefits are well publicized, as SFOPhD pointed out. To me, PLT is most valuable if you fly international or long domestic flights. If your travel is mostly short domestic flights, especially on regional jets, PLT is only marginally better than GLD.

A few more things to keep in mind: For 500-mile upgrades, PLT have higher priority over GLD. Also, starting March 1, GLD will have to pay to reserve MCE seats, which may include exit rows depending on the aircraft. MCE will remain free for PLT.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:36 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat

I'm having a hard time trying to understand this statement. Is there any difference between PLT and GLD in terms of fare when it comes to upgrades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.