Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by jh_

Oh, I forgot to mention that I had already submitted a missing mileage request on the AA form online as soon as I realized it wasn't going to credit on Saturday as normal (AA's form somehow recognized my 160 tix number and didn't ask me for flight details as it always does, so I suspect my ticket was already in their system to begin with). This flight posting would bump me into the next status tier, and I mentioned that I had a flight soon (which is true) so I wanted to get it through asap. Maybe that affected my situation. Otherwise, maybe try HUCA?
That makes sense somehow. I tried to submit missing miles online, but the system didn't recognize my 160 tix #...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp reveals any fare of Premium Economy and above, including Business and First, earn 1.5 EQM per flown mile. Flying as an Aza AA codeshare earns 2 (or even 3 for full J) EQM per mile flown.

Use Great Circle Mapper to calculate distance.
But on the flip side, a non-codeshar CX flight will earn EQD's at 25% of air miles in biz, and 20% in PE. EQD probably isn't an issue if you're doing a lot of full-fare J. But if it is, JFK-HKG-JFK would get you 4k EQD and about 24k EQM as a non-codeshare on CX
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Seeing the same issue - miles from eligible CX flight didn't post on Saturday, Aug 18th. Will wait and see what happens next saturday.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Oh wow, that's quick!
I called and then the agent asked me for my tickets number.
Somehow she pulled my ticket information and requested CX missing miles. She told me it takes up to 72 hours
She didn't even tell me to send BPs...
So after 72 hours miles weren't posted yet, so I called AAdvantage again and a very nice agent posted miles manually. It was instant.
She said sometimes she could see all information by ticket number, and she could post miles manually.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
So I have a booked round trip DFW-SFO-HKG-BKK (long routing I know, but got a deal).

Am I eligible to have the domestic segments operated by AA upgraded complimentary with my Plat Pro (soon to be Ex Plat) status? Also originally the full routing showed up on my AA app and in my account, but after having a forced segment change and a plane change (my premium economy BKK-HKG return is now in 'I' Business) the AA app only shows two of the segments (HKG-SFO-DFW). Should I be worried about his as far as the upgrades go / OW benefits / getting credited to AA?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by adunker
So I have a booked round trip DFW-SFO-HKG-BKK (long routing I know, but got a deal).
DFW-SFO-HKG isn't a long routing; you're adding less than 300 miles extra, almost all of the extra time is in making the connection. SFO-DFW-HKG is a long routing, and one I did a few times back when EQM MRs were still worthwhile.

Am I eligible to have the domestic segments operated by AA upgraded complimentary with my Plat Pro (soon to be Ex Plat) status?
Are the AA segments ticketed under an AA flight number or the CX codeshare? If the former, yes, if the latter -- I don't know but would be interested in knowing.

Also originally the full routing showed up on my AA app and in my account, but after having a forced segment change and a plane change (my premium economy BKK-HKG return is now in 'I' Business) the AA app only shows two of the segments (HKG-SFO-DFW). Should I be worried about his as far as the upgrades go / OW benefits / getting credited to AA?
It seems possible that your PNR got split, and since it's a CX-AA combined flight you will have pairs of both AA records and CX records. Unless something has changed recently, AA and CX are on different primary GDS systems and any AA-sold (or AA-award) CX flight would always have a separate underlying CX record locator. I assume the same applies for AA-operated flights sold or provided as awards by CX.

I'd call whichever carrier you ticketed through, and make sure you have both the main ticketed record locator and the underlying one, and see if it's been split -- if so they should be able to give you both the split one on the ticketing carrier, and the underlying record for the other carrier.

Depends a little on whether they're ticketed as AA or CX, but mostly, not an issue:
* upgrades - see above, but don't know if they're ticketed as CX. If they're ticketed as AA, and they don't show up in the app, call AA.
* OW benefits - as long as you have your AAdvantage number on the records with the operating carrier, you are good here (and if by some chance it's totally lost, some of them can be done via your AAdvantage card at check-in/boarding/the lounge.) For AA-operated flights, even if CX-ticketed, you should be able to call AA to fix that; for CX segments, that can be handled via the web site.

For CX flights, it is possible the've lost your AAdvantage number on one segment (or on the whole split record): as best I can tell, they assigned per-segment and not per record. It should be trivial if you can get the CX locator (or if you already have it having booked on CX) to go on and re-add it if it's missing. If it's still there on a segment, you should earn normally (and the "I" segment should earn a little more than the original Premium Economy flight.)
adunker likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:22 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Just wanted to share this quick tidbit. I had an ORD-SIN trip a couple months back in Premium Economy (E fare). HKG-SIN had a last minute equipment swap and my fare class was downgraded to L coach fare which was ineligible for earning with AA. I did receive proactive operational upgrade to J but fare class remained L.

Submitted missing mileage request through AA which was rejected by CX in less than a week due to ineligible fare.

Gave AAdvantage CS a call and emailed documentations (ticket receipt, original BP, downgraded BP, etc.) and they resubmitted the request to CX with my documents. Five weeks later the missing segment posted in my account crediting me based on the original ticketed fare class.

I know CX swaps equipment willy nilly on regional routes, so if you run into a similar situation be sure to gather your documents. Getting ORC is possible.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:03 am

AA denied mileage credit for Class E Cathay fare

I had a Cathay Pacific flight I purchased in premium economy E and credited to AA. The flight got downgraded to economy because of plane switch but at the counter they reupgraded me to business. I was missing the AA mileage credit and put in a request but was just denied for ineligible booking class. E class that I purchased is eligible. Any idea? This flight puts me over to exec plat so it's extremely important I get the credit. I'm not sure the fare class they upgraded me to, but it was business and the actual paid fare was E. Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mastermind85
I had a Cathay Pacific flight I purchased in premium economy E and credited to AA. The flight got downgraded to economy because of plane switch but at the counter they reupgraded me to business. I was missing the AA mileage credit and put in a request but was just denied for ineligible booking class. E class that I purchased is eligible. Any idea? This flight puts me over to exec plat so it's extremely important I get the credit. I'm not sure the fare class they upgraded me to, but it was business and the actual paid fare was E. Thanks!
Just call AAdvantage Customer Service and they will sort it out (not the normal EXP number...)....
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Just call AAdvantage Customer Service and they will sort it out (not the normal EXP number...)....
I've been, but it hasn't been working so far. I'll try again I suppose..
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, what did they tell you?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Did you receive a partial refund of the fare when the plane change was made and you went from premium economy to economy? Getting upgraded on an economy ticket wouldn't change the mileage credit eligibility.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:29 am

Nope, received no refund.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
A good agent will be able to fix this quickly. From your first post it seemed like you just submitted a missing mileage request online. Definitely call back. Don't even mention the part about getting downgraded originally, just tell them you purchased an E fare and offer to send in receipts, etc.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Make sure you call AAdvantage Customer Service (only open ~8a-8p), NOT AA. 800-882-8880, follow the prompts (let them run all the way through, both times) to get to "You can also say Speak to an AAdvantage Customer Service Representative" then say that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.