Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
Old May 22, 2019, 2:07 am

A bit of a red flag on that link - it specifically mentions earning and redeeming is available within Asia and between Asia and other continents. Nothing about earning miles between Canada & the US.
I haven't flown the flight myself but OP might want to check with others who have recently taken the flight to see if it's been credited.
JHIN likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cedric
A bit of a red flag on that link - it specifically mentions earning and redeeming is available within Asia and between Asia and other continents. Nothing about earning miles between Canada & the US.
I haven't flown the flight myself but OP might want to check with others who have recently taken the flight to see if it's been credited.
You are misunderstanding the aa.com partner earning pages.

The "Earn and redeem miles between..." section for each partner is worded badly, but it is only meant as a rough guide of where each partner flies their own metal. It is not a definitive list of eligible regions or flights that will earn AA miles.

If there are any flights for any partner that are not eligible for mileage accrual on AA, then they will be specifically called out under an "Exceptions" area. There's no exceptions for CX, so all flights are good with regard to earning AA miles.

As long as you book an eligible fare then you will earn miles on AA on YVR-JFK just like any other CX flight.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by JJeffrey; May 22, 2019 at 4:33 am
Old May 22, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Note the eligible fare requirement as not every fare on CX will qualify for mileage earnings.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cedric
No red flag at all, just poor wording. Many members here have earned AAdvantage EQ and award instruments between YVR and JFK over the years, as long as they were on a qualifying fare. (Most economy fares don’t earn AAdvantage miles, etc.)

See the Wikipost at the top of the page for further information.

Wikipost updated, older posts archived today.
cedric likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; May 22, 2019 at 8:36 am Reason: Add Moderator note
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I’m looking to book a trip to Phuket from LAX via Hong Kong. The flight to HKG would be on AA metal and the flight from HKG to HKT would be on DragonAir metal. On the AA site I have the option to book the HKT leg as a Cathy codeshare, or as a DragonAir flight number. Any advantage of booking one vs. the other to make sure I can credit that flight to my AAdvantage account? All flights would book into I.

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It looks like AA is about to start codesharing with more KA-operated flights to SE Asia. I have a LAX-HKG (AA) HKG-CNX (KA as CX) trip booked that I'd love to change to HKG-CNX (KA as AA). Any idea how long it usually takes for these codeshares to be coded into the system from announcement?

Source: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...southeast-asia

EDIT: looks like it's available for sale now. I initially just searched on EF and saw no codeshares, but they appears on ITA.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
This is a super noob question, but how do I add my AA # to a CX booking made on Amex IAP? It only provides a place for a CX #.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
This is a super noob question, but how do I add my AA # to a CX booking made on Amex IAP? It only provides a place for a CX #.
go to CX website, manage my booking and pull up your CX reservation # provided by Amex.
In your booking, you should be able to add/change it
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: EXP PLT, UA1K, QF Gold
With AA expanding its relationship with the CX group - namely Cathay Dragon - do we earn miles when a booking is in I class on KA? I notice there have been no updates on the AAdvantage pages but maybe has some inside knowledge?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GlobalTvller
With AA expanding its relationship with the CX group - namely Cathay Dragon - do we earn miles when a booking is in I class on KA? I notice there have been no updates on the AAdvantage pages but maybe has some inside knowledge?
As an affiliate, flights on Cathay Dragon earn exactly the same as on Cathay Pacific, and have for many years, even when it was called Dragonair.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: EXP PLT, UA1K, QF Gold
thanks for the feedback - and a good catch as i had missed the mention of affiliate - cheers
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
CX rebooked me on KE due to strike. I requested ORC from CX and gave them AAdvantage # but should I contact AA? and does KE not being in oneworld complicate things? Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium
Sharing a recent experience not getting credit on the Z upgrade on top of D fare purchase. My RT LAX-BLR via HKG posted 3 of the 4 legs properly. The last holdout was LAX-HKG, which took me more than a month and a half to get it posted after multiple document requests, 1 denial, and finally a phone call.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
go to CX website, manage my booking and pull up your CX reservation # provided by Amex.
In your booking, you should be able to add/change it
It doesn't seem to allow access to change the airline to which the miles will be credited....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.